GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
So I flashed to an EQT Stage 2 Protune 500 mi ago and just scanned it and no codes...? My Unitronic DP would trigger the efficiency threshold code very quickly before I tuned it.
Now no code, no CEL... I did unplug the o2 sensor before the flash and put a "plug spacer" https://cjmind.com/products/mqb-02-sensor-plug-spacer

It might be a coincidence since I flashed to EQT, but CEL keeps coming back even after I clear it. Error code is "P0420/3A44 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1." Do you have any experience on this topic? I have a 2019 GTI S manual(3" downpipe, 1 step colder spark plugs, FMIC, Autotech HPFP, EQT stage 2 tune) and I've not had this error code before I thought stage 2 tune was supposed to clear that code

From what I understood, that was before? Now they do throw the code but they can still hide the CEL? And the code does nothing if you unplug the o2 sensor? or else you get LTFT adjustments that end up running your car a bit rich...?

After 500 mi my car has "1" LTFT% and 0 STFT, so im guessing its working fine? Might as well.... always wanted to post a log here, what do you guys think?
https://datazap.me/u/hans611/golf-r...rotune?log=0&data=1-8-11-14-19-25-26-27-28-41
This is actually EQT's Low torque tune (pre-revisions), I don't think they offer it anymore.... 2nd to 4th pull

It seems its pulling back the boost after 5,000rpm from 24.7 down to ~20.7 at 6,500rom (~60% wastegate)
Nick is asking if I want to turn up the boost...? Yes right? lol

Edit: Oh its the 6 speed manual, and its got an Unitronic catted DP, AMS intake, Wagner IC and NGK RS7s gapped @0.24"...

Last edited:

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
From what I understood, that was before? Now they do throw the code but they can still hide the CEL? And the code does nothing if you unplug the o2 sensor? or else you get LTFT adjustments that end up running your car a bit rich...?

Yes this was before I unplugged the rear o2 sensor harness under the hood
Like you, I did some research and reading and found out that I needed to unplug that harness. So I unplugged the harness(put electrical tape over them), cleared the code, then re-flashed, it cleared the P0420 error code and now I'm getting a "P0036/509E" error code with CEL every time I start my engine. I thought the error code was going to show up but no CEL which was not in my case

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
The p0420 will cause your fuel trims to drift over time. P0036 will still trigger a light but has no other effects.

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
The p0420 will cause your fuel trims to drift over time. P0036 will still trigger a light but has no other effects.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the error code will show on the access port but no CEL but in my case I'm getting the error code and CEL

Attachments

• 20220615_125229.jpg
    20220615_125229.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220615_125603.jpg
    20220615_125603.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 95

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Cobb "green speed" update, does not permit new tune files to disable any DTCs or associated CELs.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Is that one of the firmware updates? Do you know which one? It asked me to update the firmware and I told it no the other day lol maybe that saved me?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Nothing to do with firmware updates. Has to do with when your tune file was created/saved. Any tunes made with software after a certain date don't allow those things to be altered. Not related to firmware at all.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
What Aaron said. Advice from Matt was buy a better downpipe or experiment with spacers.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Nothing to do with firmware updates. Has to do with when your tune file was created/saved. Any tunes made with software after a certain date don't allow those things to be altered. Not related to firmware at all.

That makes sense, I got this "low torque" protune from EQT in April 2021, and its probably older / based on someone's previous protune I guess, hardly doubt they made this low torque tune for myself only lol.
Their FAQ now says not to ask for a "low torque" tune actually..... if Nick makes me a revision, I loose my CEL-free tune right? or its based on when the tune was first made?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
That makes sense, I got this "low torque" protune from EQT in April 2021, and its probably older / based on someone's previous protune I guess, hardly doubt they made this low torque tune for myself only lol.
Their FAQ now says not to ask for a "low torque" tune actually..... if Nick makes me a revision, I loose my CEL-free tune right? or its based on when the tune was first made?
I would imagine it's tied to a software update on the Cobb side, so if the tuner updates their software to write tunes, any new tunes written will have the changes. OTS tunes should be safe, but I don't work for Cobb or have any firsthand experience on how it's actually implemented and this is just speculation.

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
is your o2 sensor still unplugged?
Yes, I unplugged the rear O2 sensor, cleared the code, and re-flashed the tune. I come back and fire up the engine and I see that error code on the access port plus CEL on the dashboard. I would repeat the process of clearing the code again, re-flash, come back and run the engine, same error with CEL

snowmon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
newer cobb software no longer allows them to hide the CEL for emissions-related codes. p0420 is the code you get for a "high flow" cat.
So I'm curious, are you guys actually driving around with CEL on your dashboard with that error code "P0036/509E?"