GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
I think you’re missing the point, I told you I’ve got most of the parts on the list and I build and sell parts on the list as well.

This is a list to help people new to that platform cut through the BS & spend money on stuff that makes the most significant improvements per dollar so they don’t spend 3k to still have a 14 second car.

It’s not a forbidden list, its stuff to save for later or possibly skip all together (but with reasons why those are something to consider).

This. While I do sell parts, I don’t fall into the selling anything to anyone in the name of making money or social clout.

I only recommend parts that’ll push each individuals towards their particular goals for the car…not everyone needs my V2 FMIC, so I explicitly explain why the $400 cheaper V1 is sufficient for all but the top 1% of builds. Which is the exact opposite of pointing out it being 20% larger and flowing significantly better.

My new 4” downpipe will be no different for the GTI guys, I’ll always recommend the 3” or even staying stock if that makes sense for the goals they’ve got for their particular car.

To sum it up, what’s good for a 550whp MPI, LFPF Vortex XL car is likely moot on 99% of is20 & is38 or even HPFP fueled hybrid turbos. No BS here, just helpful advice in the name of bettering the platform as a whole.

Jake, I think I know what you are trying to do and I am appreciative. Every car forum I've been a part of needed something like this, and this platform needed it badly in 2017. Unfortunately, people either don't read or have lost their reading comprehension abilities. I was considering Vortex Standard turbo and preparing a shopping list of products for my build. I put up several WTB posts and someone replied with a link to your original post. I am not asking you to be responsible for how others use your post but it would be helpful in 2022 if you can update the *title* to clarify that the application is for IS20 and IS38. I've spent a lot of time down various rabbit holes in this forum in the past, and I have seen multiple instances where your post was referenced in situations where you and I would agree are outside of the boundaries of intended use of the post. I am a fan of your craftsmanship in addition to your non-BS approach.

That's all.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I referenced MST intake piping for hybrids, but there appear to be multiple new breed of solutions available.
I looked at them... looks like it's just another pipe, like all the other pipes. What makes it different? To me this is a primer for people new to the platform, not guidelines for the big turbo 450+HP crowd. AFAIK the tuners for our platform (EQT is a recent example), have stood by their opinion of don't bother with inlet or outlet stuff until you're hybrid at the least. Spend money on whatever you want in the end-game of your car, but I think it's safe to say nothing in this thread should be at the front of your list.

Unfortunately, people either don't read or have lost their reading comprehension abilities. I was considering Vortex Standard turbo and preparing a shopping list of products for my build. I put up several WTB posts and someone replied with a link to your original post. I am not asking you to be responsible for how others use your post but it would be helpful in 2022 if you can update the *title* to clarify that the application is for IS20 and IS38.

Shouldn't be an issue for people who having reading comprehension.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, I think I know what you are trying to do and I am appreciative. Every car forum I've been a part of needed something like this, and this platform needed it badly in 2017. Unfortunately, people either don't read or have lost their reading comprehension abilities. I was considering Vortex Standard turbo and preparing a shopping list of products for my build. I put up several WTB posts and someone replied with a link to your original post. I am not asking you to be responsible for how others use your post but it would be helpful in 2022 if you can update the *title* to clarify that the application is for IS20 and IS38. I've spent a lot of time down various rabbit holes in this forum in the past, and I have seen multiple instances where your post was referenced in situations where you and I would agree are outside of the boundaries of intended use of the post. I am a fan of your craftsmanship in addition to your non-BS approach.

That's all.

You’re over thinking it and under appreciating the scope of my experience. I’m directly involved in hundreds of cars on this platform and those people linking you to this post are helping you.

Out of the dozens and dozens of Vortex std cars I’ve been directly involved with there’s absolutely zero evidence to stand by your wanting the mods listed.

You can literally do a FMIC, DP, HPFP, & Vortex std and make 450whp….

Adding $1,200 worth of fluff won’t make 470whp on the same setup, it’ll still make 450whp.

This thread is here for you to use as you wish, I won’t bash you for not taking my advice, but I also won’t lie to other in the name of comforting you on that decision.

No it won’t hurt anything, but that $1,200 would go much further towards BFI mounts, better tires, driving experience, ect.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I looked at them... looks like it's just another pipe, like all the other pipes. What makes it different? To me this is a primer for people new to the platform, not guidelines for the big turbo 450+HP crowd. AFAIK the tuners for our platform (EQT is a recent example), have stood by their opinion of don't bother with inlet or outlet stuff until you're hybrid at the least. Spend money on whatever you want in the end-game of your car, but I think it's safe to say nothing in this thread should be at the front of your list.

Shouldn't be an issue for people who having reading comprehension.
the MST TIP has a 3" OD and comes with a hose that fits the 3" elbow on one end and OEM size filter on the other end. I'm pretty sure the only other comparable TIP is from DBV, which does not come with a matching pipe and it has some negative reviews associated with.

I'm not arguing that 3" is better, but it is in fact different than all other other pipes

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
the MST TIP has a 3" OD and comes with a hose that fits the 3" elbow on one end and OEM size filter on the other end. I'm pretty sure the only other comparable TIP is from DBV, which does not come with a matching pipe and it has some negative reviews associated with.

I'm not arguing that 3" is better, but it is in fact different than all other other pipes
IE does as well

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

That's all.
The problem as I see it is that you have a social media influencer being viewed as a subject matter expert.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
You’re over thinking it and under appreciating the scope of my experience. I’m directly involved in hundreds of cars on this platform and those people linking you to this post are helping you.

You can literally do a FMIC, DP, HPFP, & Vortex std and make 450whp….

Adding $1,200 worth of fluff... it’ll still make 450whp.

...That $1,200 would go much further towards ...better tires
The amount of people willing to spend 2k on intake, tips, outlets, muffler deletes, and other pipes, $2500 on a BBK, etc... then putting "Good enough all season tires" is disheartening.

Better tires are the best money you can spend on almost any car.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The amount of people willing to spend 2k on intake, tips, outlets, muffler deletes, and other pipes, $2500 on a BBK, etc... then putting "Good enough all season tires" is disheartening.

I feel personally attacked...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I felt that first hand today. My street tires are FK510's, which are very grippy, but can't hold stage 1 power.

My buddy's protuned IS38 on PS4S put the power down no problem.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I felt that first hand today. My street tires are FK510's, which are very grippy, but can't hold stage 1 power.

My buddy's protuned IS38 on PS4S put the power down no problem.
My last set was FK510s. The OG Bridgestone S001 was so much better, and I'm now on 2 week old PS4S. Awesome tires- so much better, but I haven't gone in deep water with them yet, so not sure if they're as good as the old eagle f1 gs-D3s (my favorite tire in bad summer weather so far). Those Flakens were not my favorite, but their straight line wet braking was impressive.

I like tires that allow me to drive like an asshole 100% of the time, without the tires trying to kill me. I shit on A/S tires, but to be honest, they do have their place.

All seasons are the best option from April 1 to May 15th, and October 15th to Dec 1. Maybe one day I'll buy a set for those shoulder seasons- the decision of "When do I switch from my minus 30 Celsius tires to my plus 30 Celsius tires" and vice versa is sort of annoying.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
My last set was FK510s. The OG Bridgestone S001 was so much better, and I'm now on 2 week old PS4S. Awesome tires- so much better, but I haven't gone in deep water with them yet, so not sure if they're as good as the old eagle f1 gs-D3s (my favorite tire in bad summer weather so far). Those Flakens were not my favorite, but their straight line wet braking was impressive.

I like tires that allow me to drive like an asshole 100% of the time, without the tires trying to kill me. I shit on A/S tires, but to be honest, they do have their place.

All seasons are the best option from April 1 to May 15th, and October 15th to Dec 1. Maybe one day I'll buy a set for those shoulder seasons- the decision of "When do I switch from my minus 30 Celsius tires to my plus 30 Celsius tires" and vice versa is sort of annoying.
What do you have done to your car?