GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

cb1111

All these mods and people using all season tires. There's a reason everyone makes fun of vw people...

You really don't realize it until you put on good summer tires :sneaky:
True - there is a huge difference between summer tires and all-seasons IF your driving styles and car can take advantage of the increased performance of the tires.

Quite simply, most daily drivers would never see the benefits of a quality summer tire and some all-seasons (the Contis for example) rival the summers from 20 years ago

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
The way I look at it is, I don’t track my car and on a good quality all season I can have a ton of fun and get my rocks off at well over posted speed limits. Now if i had on dedicated summers and my limits added 5-10mph on the same roads, if something went wrong it’s just that much more dangerous for everyone. Moderation.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
You really don't realize it until you put on good summer tires :sneaky:
This is it. You don't understand what you're missing if you're not missing it. I don't miss Parisienne cafés, but they might be better than my Breville.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The way I look at it is, I don’t track my car and on a good quality all season I can have a ton of fun and get my rocks off at well over posted speed limits. Now if i had on dedicated summers and my limits added 5-10mph on the same roads, if something went wrong it’s just that much more dangerous for everyone. Moderation.
lol better tires are now more dangerous?
what about the fact that they also stop better
and handle better in the rain
or if you need to swerve suddenly to avoid something in the road

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
lol better tires are now more dangerous?
what about the fact that they also stop better
and handle better in the rain
or if you need to swerve suddenly to avoid something in the road
You’re reading into it too much. I ran Pzero summers on my rs3 wheels and they handled/rode/blah blah great. My general AS-05 I have had for the last few years are FANTASTIC, so much so that I bought wheels to run all year with them. When they wear out I’ll get the same tire in a larger size, either 235/40 (which I’m leaning towards) or in a 255/35/18. I like them that much.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I'll be riding on DWS06 until I die.
Man, I feel you. My dws06s are alllmost good enough for summers, mounted on my more attractive 19s, and they’ve still got great tread. It’s really hard for me to want to replace them with my uglier, worse fitting (aesthetically), but better performing 18” track wheels with summers already mounted. It would be nicer to have 2 sets of wheels that were the same size, but I think I’m stuck with where I’m at until I can wear these dws06s down. Strangely, I‘m stuck with worse performance being good enough. Weird world, lol.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I'd like to add drilled rotors to the list of mods you're wasting money on. Go blanks or slotted.

Slotted accomplishes the the same thing as drilled, without the cracks.

Crack is bad, mkay.
Normally I’d agree with this but my cross-drilled OEM(?) brembos are awesome (and cheap to replace). I see no issues with these and highly recommend them. fwiw, I bought my car as it is now, for the most part, and I don’t want to replace parts that don’t need to be replaced.

1653932650658.png

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Normally I’d agree with this but my cross-drilled OEM(?) brembos are awesome (and cheap to replace). I see no issues with these an highly recommend them. fwiw, I bought my car as it is now, for the most part, and I don’t want to replace parts that don’t need to be replaced.
Drilled from the factory are no better. I can show you page after page of cracked factory Porsche drilled rotors.

At the end of the day, do whatever you want with you're money. I honestly don't care, I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm hoping that those getting into the car hobby read forums like this and make informed decisions on what they want to do with their cars.

And if you want the cool looks of drilled, awesome, just periodically check for cracks. There is definitely some benefit performance wise, especially in the wet. Just be aware of the drawbacks.

Because my car sees 4 or 5 track days and 10 to 12 autocrosses a year, I won't use drilled. They will 100% crack, guaranteed, because I've had it happen. I choose not to use slotted, because the car is a daily and I've used them before and had weird noise and high wear.

Good fluid, pads in the correct heat range for what you're using them for, proper cooling and good tires = good braking. Drilling and slotting help in the wet, but our cars won't really benefit, as they have pad drying via the abs system, where in the rain, the system applies just enough pressure to the pads to dry them via friction with the rotors.

Again, you spend your money anyway you'd like, I'm just providing the facts so others can make their choices.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Drilled from the factory are no better. I can show you page after page of cracked factory Porsche drilled rotors.

At the end of the day, do whatever you want with you're money. I honestly don't care, I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm hoping that those getting into the car hobby read forums like this and make informed decisions on what they want to do with their cars.

And if you want the cool looks of drilled, awesome, just periodically check for cracks. There is definitely some benefit performance wise, especially in the wet. Just be aware of the drawbacks.

Because my car sees 4 or 5 track days and 10 to 12 autocrosses, I won't use drilled. They will 100% crack, guaranteed, because I've had it happen. I choose not to use slotted, because the car is a daily and I've used them before and had weird noise and high wear.

Good fluid, pads in the correct heat range for what you're using them for, proper cooling and good tires = good braking. Drilling and slotting help in the wet, but our cars won't really benefit, as they have pad drying via the abs system, where in the rain, the system applies just enough pressure to the pads to dry them via friction with the rotors.

Again, you spend your money anyway you'd like, I'm just providing the facts so others can make their choices.
Oh yeah Man, no worries. I really appreciate the premise of the thread. I agree that cross-drilled are not the best option for track use, but after a short track day and lots of spirited driving, they still look to be in excellent condition with no cracks as of yet. After 10k miles and no issues, I’ll be happy to buy these again in maybe 20-30k more miles if I still have the car. After looking at the myriad of threads regarding a big brake kit, and my own experience with my own brake setup, I’m happy not to be tempted to spend $2k on a replacement brake setup (which is the point of the thread). I appreciate so many members here going through upgrades and giving honest feedback, so I don’t have to waste my money on mods that won’t make a difference to me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Good fluid, pads in the correct heat range for what you're using them for, proper cooling and good tires = good braking.

But... None of that makes them look cool...

That's the factor I still don't think you're picking up on. I don't think I've ever seen anyone, at least around here, argue for drilled and slotted because of increased performance. We get them, because on a daily driver car, they look cool. That's it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
But... None of that makes them look cool...

That's the factor I still don't think you're picking up on. I don't think I've ever seen anyone, at least around here, argue for drilled and slotted because of increased performance. We get them, because on a daily driver car, they look cool. That's it.
We had a large thread about it, it's why my first account was banned. They argued exactly that they perform better, which is fine, because they are better in the wet, on cars without pad drying systems, but it comes at a cost of being prone to cracking or possibly noise or increased wear, in the case of slotting. Cheaper drilled rotors that aren't chamfered, can also have increased wear.

Again, not trying to change minds, just make sure as much information gets included so people can decide if the looks and possibly benefits outweigh the possible negatives.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I remember the cross drilled and slotted rotor argument from 15 years ago... "If this sort of tech worked, you'd see slotted and drilled rotors on at least some trains or airplanes, yet, we don't. They are basically the textbook definition of rice."