GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for info on IE's turbo kit

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Awesome input, thank you SC. And yeah I would like to take a look at your logs. I am fully built(all bolt-ons you can) but still on my stock is38 with an apr stage 1 tune. Obviously I will have more boost and some other differences but I would like to compare your logs with what I'm getting.
Sure, shame I can't just share my datazap log base.

Here is a JB4 log of My IE stage 1 plus stack:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/good-test?log=0&data=1-4

JB4 Stage 1 log post hardware upgrade to ensure everything looked good:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/iestg1-post-upgrade?log=0&data=1-4

IE Dongle log of newest file revision:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/ie-stage-1-91-oct-v102-log-2?log=0&data=8

Baseline of my original file after I did bolt ons with IE dongle:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/ie-stage-1-91-oct-w-mods-baseline?log=0&data=22

I've got a ton more, but they tend to be more of my JB4 logs of my stack than IE dongle logs of my base file. Let me know if you'd like to see a few more and what of.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Ive been running IE stage 1 high torque through there true flex stage 2 e85 with there dsg tune. Car hauls ass with minimal issues besides this one hiccup i have every once and a while with there flex fuel sensor. I was looking at there stage 3 with garret turbo how ever some one recently posted there same garret turbo took a shit even thought they are on a different tuner. 91 vs my e85 on is38 vs the GTC 2660 only nets me 5hp gain. They only offer e40 on there garret tune as well so they dont sell me on it enough to buy the stage 3 kit.

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for the info socal. Where I'm at we have good 93 fuel and e85 is readily available. I have been looking at that route to. I just worry about some of the issues I've heard with some of the stock is38 having trouble oiling at higher speeds my R is a 2016 so an earlier model. so I'm just a little worried about maxing out the turbo. I have been leaning towards going the hybrid is38 route. Just due to the higher reliability that they claim. I would rather drop a few grand now as opposed to risk a rebuild later. What is the "hiccup" you speak of with their flex fuel kit?

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Ive been running IE stage 1 high torque through there true flex stage 2 e85 with there dsg tune. Car hauls ass with minimal issues besides this one hiccup i have every once and a while with there flex fuel sensor. I was looking at there stage 3 with garret turbo how ever some one recently posted there same garret turbo took a shit even thought they are on a different tuner. 91 vs my e85 on is38 vs the GTC 2660 only nets me 5hp gain. They only offer e40 on there garret tune as well so they dont sell me on it enough to buy the stage 3 kit.
I think it's hard to say at this point if failures of the Pmax 1 are due to the turbo or the tuner. Garrett imposes a limit of 185k RPM shaft speed on the turbo, and since it is designed to flow a lot of air at high engine RPM, it's actually possible to hit that shaft speed limit on 25psi flowing 43lbs/min at 6800 engine RPM. One metric for the IE stage 3 kit will be to see if boost request tapers as the engine approaches redline in order to avoid the turbo RPM limit.

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I was just reading about the shaft speed limits and if you look at the IE dyno torque does taper off in the higher rpms so I wonder if that is due to the boost request. I guess only they can answer that. Garrett has been pretty reputable turbo manufacturer for a long time. I would doubt they would release a faulty product but it does happen

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I was just reading about the shaft speed limits and if you look at the IE dyno torque does taper off in the higher rpms so I wonder if that is due to the boost request. I guess only they can answer that. Garrett has been pretty reputable turbo manufacturer for a long time. I would doubt they would release a faulty product but it does happen
There’s also the possibility they are riding the name or the bearing company had a manufacturing issue. Or they just had a bad batch.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I have no issues with IEs tunes. If you ask me, they had issues with their earlier stuff and they can’t shake the attachment. No one gets it right on the first try and there are plenty of people with their products and have no issues. Part of aloha’s issue was he couldn’t get solid info and was asking, so there isn’t any solid info for or against still. I believe @StorableComa runs their tune for his car and has ran some logs. Not 100% on that though. I run their stage 1 low torque 93 octane and it runs fine. I will likely add their DSG tune soon as well. Although if gas keeps up I may switch to their 91 tune for a while.
Paid professional tuners need to be held to a higher standard than "nobody gets it right the first try".

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Paid professional tuners need to be held to a higher standard than "nobody gets it right the first try".
You may be right. I think it’s foolish to expect any human to be perfect at anything. I have even seen people here with EQT tunes that have update files with issues. It happens. When you start modifying anything there is a risk you take with that. So while there is an expectation to be perfect, there are simply too many variables at play to get it right out of the gate.

I expect better out of medical professionals, but people die through clinical trials. Even with all the testing and seemingly endless amounts of cash, when released, prescriptions still have issues.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I’ve been eyeing the flex fuel tune. I have an IE intercooler and camber plates and IMHO, the quality is superb.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I’ve been eyeing the flex fuel tune. I have an IE intercooler and camber plates and IMHO, the quality is superb.
They make good hardware. I have zero trust in their software skills.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You may be right. I think it’s foolish to expect any human to be perfect at anything. I have even seen people here with EQT tunes that have update files with issues. It happens. When you start modifying anything there is a risk you take with that. So while there is an expectation to be perfect, there are simply too many variables at play to get it right out of the gate.

I expect better out of medical professionals, but people die through clinical trials. Even with all the testing and seemingly endless amounts of cash, when released, prescriptions still have issues.
Humans aren't perfect, but when you pay someone who is supposed to be an expert, I expect the best example of the product. If I go to McDonald's, there is no reason why someone should serve me a bad burger. Before anyone says tuning these cars (OTS tunes) is different than working at McDonald's, you've never tuned one of these cars. It's easy.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Humans aren't perfect, but when you pay someone who is supposed to be an expert, I expect the best example of the product. If I go to McDonald's, there is no reason why someone should serve me a bad burger. Before anyone says tuning these cars (OTS tunes) is different than working at McDonald's, you've never tuned one of these cars. It's easy.
Tuning one of these cars =/= reliable OTS tune.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Bad example. McDonald’s doesn’t make a good burger to begin with.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Fuuuuck...
To be fair, I get what you’re saying. I don’t disagree. You expect the expert to be right and have their research done and you get a quality result. For me, what is done after is what matters. Do they fix the issue and improve to meet customer expectations or do they continue to put crap out? I feel for IE they are the former but plenty of internet FUD gets in their way.