GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for info on IE's turbo kit

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thanks for the info socal. Where I'm at we have good 93 fuel and e85 is readily available. I have been looking at that route to. I just worry about some of the issues I've heard with some of the stock is38 having trouble oiling at higher speeds my R is a 2016 so an earlier model. so I'm just a little worried about maxing out the turbo. I have been leaning towards going the hybrid is38 route. Just due to the higher reliability that they claim. I would rather drop a few grand now as opposed to risk a rebuild later. What is the "hiccup" you speak of with their flex fuel kit?
The hiccup would be a fault code for fuel composition sensor circuit high and fuel composition sensor temp. Installed there true flex harness per there manual and the code would come up instantly with the car running like crap. Re did the whole install and moved the ground to a different location. Car was fine after that how ever there is small annoying thing that happens around 3k-3400k rpm where it sounds like the car is braking up in the rpm at 1/4 throttle cruising going through the gears. Ran logs sent it to them they say they dont see anything concerning. Other than that everything seems to be ok.

dwbandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R | 6MT
I’d check out UM if you have a dealer near you. They have a lot of experience with with big turbo tunes on the MQB platform. I have the stage 2 pmax tuned by them and I love it. Mine is a 6MT and has flex fuel, no lift shift, and launch control mapped in. Never had a single issue with UM and have had one of their tunes on my car for 2 years.

If you need remote tuning, EQT seems like a solid option. I have never used them, but have a friend who has and they are popular on here.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
I've run IEs 1.8t stage 1 91 octane tune for awhile. I've also recently started to stack my JB4 ontop of it to push it up to 20PSI peak on the IS12.

I'll probably swap IS20 and stay stage 1 and adjust with the JB4 for now. Though I did order a open source tuner from switchleg, so I may dip a toe into that.

I've got logs of stock, stage 1, and stage 1 stack in either JB4 or IE dongle format if you'd like to see them.

If your looking for info, I find FB tends to be more IE friendly than the forums. They have an IE customer group and such where a lot of people from all platforms they support post up logs, questions or issues. Granted you'll also find a lot of circle jerk rhetoric like you do here for Cobb tuners.

IE seems to split the difference between Uni and APR. Uni being high boost, APR being timing. Stage 1 runs up to 16 psi peak with 6.5 timing at 6.5k before shift.
What uni has high boost tunes? Since when? When i had uni it was all timing.

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Humans aren't perfect, but when you pay someone who is supposed to be an expert, I expect the best example of the product. If I go to McDonald's, there is no reason why someone should serve me a bad burger. Before anyone says tuning these cars (OTS tunes) is different than working at McDonald's, you've never tuned one of these cars. It's easy.
Totally agree, but even reputable tuners like apr have issues with new products. I'm not sure if it was this forum or vwvortex but there were people complaining they aren't getting the numbers apr promises out of their new mqb turbo kit. It's all about how you proceed from there. And mcdonalds messes up my order all the time.lol

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
The hiccup would be a fault code for fuel composition sensor circuit high and fuel composition sensor temp. Installed there true flex harness per there manual and the code would come up instantly with the car running like crap. Re did the whole install and moved the ground to a different location. Car was fine after that how ever there is small annoying thing that happens around 3k-3400k rpm where it sounds like the car is braking up in the rpm at 1/4 throttle cruising going through the gears. Ran logs sent it to them they say they dont see anything concerning. Other than that everything seems to be ok.
That seems a little weird, Thanks for the details

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Totally agree, but even reputable tuners like apr have issues with new products. I'm not sure if it was this forum or vwvortex but there were people complaining they aren't getting the numbers apr promises out of their new mqb turbo kit. It's all about how you proceed from there. And mcdonalds messes up my order all the time.lol

That APR "fuck up" is "harmless". Seems like they hit a torque limiter somewhere which limited power. Slower car, but no damage to the cars.

IE put out tunes which knocked massively.. Like pulling 8 degrees of timing through the pull, with timing and boost curves that made ZERO sense. It was almost like someone fucked up a cut and past of some tables. They also created stage 1 tunes that don't pass emissions testing. That is like McDonalds giving you an uncooked patty, or giving you two buns with no meat. Totally unacceptable from a "big" tuning company. They may have fixed their fuck ups, but why go with a company that fucks up like that when there are other (better) options?

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
That APR "fuck up" is "harmless". Seems like they hit a torque limiter somewhere which limited power. Slower car, but no damage to the cars.

IE put out tunes which knocked massively.. Like pulling 8 degrees of timing through the pull, with timing and boost curves that made ZERO sense. It was almost like someone fucked up a cut and past of some tables. They also created stage 1 tunes that don't pass emissions testing. That is like McDonalds giving you an uncooked patty, or giving you two buns with no meat. Totally unacceptable from a "big" tuning company. They may have fixed their fuck ups, but why go with a company that fucks up like that when there are other (better) options?
Thanks for clarifying and putting some numbers in here other than don't use then. Do you have anything that proves these claims?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for clarifying and putting some numbers in here other than don't use then. Do you have anything that proves these claims?
I have personal friends who had Stage 1 IE tunes that failed emissions testing. He contacted IE and they fixed it. IE has since revised their stage 1 tunes, but it's a fuck up that should never have happened. If you search IE tune problems in this forum, you'll likely find a previous post with the timing and boost curve with knock values that are completely wack. They've since fixed that also. @StorableComa 's logs look normal. Again, I don't trust any tuner that releases software like that. There is no magic to tuning these cars when it comes to OTS style tunes. Not even the flex fuel shit.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If anyone else was curious. I heard back from IE and even though it's not listed as necessary for the turbo kit. As you would expect the hpfp is required

Their marketing dept writes checks that their engineering dept can't back up.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
There is no "IE Turbo Kit". They just made an OTS tune for a widely available off the shelf turbo. There have been plenty of results posted with the GT2260 turbo and I imagine IE's results will be similar.

-- Ed