GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for info on IE's turbo kit

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm also really looking forward to seeing some data for boost request and shaft speed in general, hopefully from this IE tune. Based on the compressor map and basic turbo calculations, you can actually overspeed this turbo at 25psi, 6800 engine RPM, and 500ft DA. What's particularly concerning about the IE tune is that in order to hit the 489ft-lbs at 4000RPM they are claiming for their 93 octane file, you pretty much have to be exceeding a pressure ratio of 3.7 (30psi), which is well into overspeed territory. So I hope they're just lying.

Also, what's your fueling situation? The car in the Stratified video was running MPI.
It looks to me that their dyno chart shows 393 wtq on 93.
All the figures in the table look to be CHP estimates.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah it looks like they advertise 413wtq on e30 and 393wtq on 93. That is similar to the torque other stage 2 and full e85 is20/is38 cars put down. Like most stock motor tunes they are keeping torque below 450wtq.
1653660238659.png

1653660263577.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZCu28mvNSS/

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm also really looking forward to seeing some data for boost request and shaft speed in general, hopefully from this IE tune. Based on the compressor map and basic turbo calculations, you can actually overspeed this turbo at 25psi, 6800 engine RPM, and 500ft DA. What's particularly concerning about the IE tune is that in order to hit the 489ft-lbs at 4000RPM they are claiming for their 93 octane file, you pretty much have to be exceeding a pressure ratio of 3.7 (30psi), which is well into overspeed territory. So I hope they're just lying.

Also, what's your fueling situation? The car in the Stratified video was running MPI.
I have an RS3 LPFP and 980cc MPI. Lots of headroom. Think you've got some numbers confused there though, they claim 489 hp on e30 at the crank. That config is quoted at 415 ft-lbs at the wheels, which isn't bad, but seems pretty spicy compared to my dynojet numbers (but again, different dyno, trans, motor, etc.).

Yeah it looks like they advertise 413wtq on e30 and 393wtq on 93. That is similar to the torque other stage 2 and full e85 is20/is38 cars put down. Like most stock motor tunes they are keeping torque below 450wtq.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZCu28mvNSS/
I'd take their dyno results with the caveat they post on them. They're not super worthwhile as a comparison to the IE dyno graphs, and the curve can differ as well between transmissions/gears/load.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
It looks to me that their dyno chart shows 393 wtq on 93.
All the figures in the table look to be CHP estimates.
I have an RS3 LPFP and 980cc MPI. Lots of headroom. Think you've got some numbers confused there though, they claim 489 hp on e30 at the crank. That config is quoted at 415 ft-lbs at the wheels, which isn't bad, but seems pretty spicy compared to my dynojet numbers (but again, different dyno, trans, motor, etc.).

I'd take their dyno results with the caveat they post on them. They're not super worthwhile as a comparison to the IE dyno graphs, and the curve can differ as well between transmissions/gears/load.
Garrett_Performance_PowerMax_14-18_Torque-1-scaled.jpg

Screenshot_20220527-102152.png

I'm not confused. They are claiming a solid 70ft-lbs more at the crank on 93 than Garrett produced on 104.

Basic turbo math indicates to make 372hp at 4000RPM (and therefore 488.5ft-lbs) with race fuel (e.g., even with impossibly aggressive timing on pump gas), you need to run 29.5lbs/min at a pressure ratio of approximately 3.72. That's pretty far out of bounds; well over the surge line, and likely overspeed too.
Garrett_Performance_2014-2018_VW_2.0_TSI_MK7_Stage1-scaled (1).jpg

Couple charts borrowed from the big PowerMax thread.
1.8 Sportwagen on pump gas, results at the wheel. Exactly in line with Stratified's results.
3FBBB1B2-52E4-4790-9A55-7D066BAA67E9 (1).jpeg

GLI on 94, results at the crank. 550nm is 405ft-lbs.
31333395-F371-4814-A26B-5C694BCA7119.jpeg

This is not normally a ~490ft-lbs at the crank on pump gas turbo.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Oh, I see, you're looking at R vs. GTI. Didn't see those, those are much higher.

Problem is two-fold: we don't have logs for any of those dyno graphs. They could be running in different gears, more/less timing, more/less boost. Second, these are all chassis dynos. That latter dyno graph assumes something like a 23% correction factor? IE is doing 16%?

Personally I think it's more likely that a tuner is inflating their dyno numbers, but it's a matter of time before someone posts up some logs from the IE tune on this turbo.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Oh, I see, you're looking at R vs. GTI. Didn't see those, those are much higher.

Problem is two-fold: we don't have logs for any of those dyno graphs. They could be running in different gears, more/less timing, more/less boost. Second, these are all chassis dynos. That latter dyno graph assumes something like a 23% correction factor? IE is doing 16%?

Personally I think it's more likely that a tuner is inflating their dyno numbers, but it's a matter of time before someone posts up some logs from the IE tune on this turbo.
Like I said, I hope they're just lying, and I look forward to seeing some data. Personally, for me, that GLI dyno chart is exactly where I want my car to be, so hopefully IE is in reality a bit closer to that.

I'm also a little disappointed that they won't offer a low-ish torque file, which I confirmed with their customer service. Their 91 octane R-engine tune makes exactly 405ft-lbs of torque as it comes into peak power of 464hp, so they could limit the torque to that amount with no loss in peak power, and make it much easier for manual owners to use clutches and flywheels that probably won't cause their crank to walk.

Last edited:

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Like I said, I hope they're just lying, and I look forward to seeing some data. Personally, for me, that GLI dyno chart is exactly where I want my car to be, so hopefully IE is in reality a bit closer to that.

I'm also a little disappointed that they won't offer a low-ish torque file, which I confirmed with their customer service. Their 91 octane R-engine tune makes exactly 405ft-lbs of torque as it comes into peak power of 464hp, so they could limit the torque to that amount with no loss in peak power, and make it much easier for manual owners to use clutches and flywheels that probably won't cause their crank to walk.
The sportwagen is running a proflex um tune. I think he is in Canada. He said this run wasn’t on e85. He posted a video on the mk7/mqb 2.0t big turbo Facebook group.
1653708506148.jpeg

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Careful. You’re going to get a lot of vitriol about anything labeled IE. You’re likely going to hear everyone tell you it’s crap and they kill babies. There are likely better options, seriously, IE is a four letter word here. Not for me, but pretty much anyone else. Good luck with the build.
Aw man. They kill babies?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Absolutely.