GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for info on IE's turbo kit

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm going stage 3 soon and looking at a few different options. Does anyone have any experience with IE's garret turbo kit and tune? Just trying to find any info I can.... about that product.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Careful. You’re going to get a lot of vitriol about anything labeled IE. You’re likely going to hear everyone tell you it’s crap and they kill babies. There are likely better options, seriously, IE is a four letter word here. Not for me, but pretty much anyone else. Good luck with the build.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Lol. Yeah I read aloha's post looking for info on tunes. Nothing but vitriol and anger. But thanks for the well wishes.
I have no issues with IEs tunes. If you ask me, they had issues with their earlier stuff and they can’t shake the attachment. No one gets it right on the first try and there are plenty of people with their products and have no issues. Part of aloha’s issue was he couldn’t get solid info and was asking, so there isn’t any solid info for or against still. I believe @StorableComa runs their tune for his car and has ran some logs. Not 100% on that though. I run their stage 1 low torque 93 octane and it runs fine. I will likely add their DSG tune soon as well. Although if gas keeps up I may switch to their 91 tune for a while.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Now EQT, that's a quality product, and nobody's ever cooked a Vortex tuned by Ed. /s

Lots of people hate IE and those people usually point to other people hating IE as their reason. I ran their stage 1 without issue until my clutch couldn't take it anymore. I do find that their power numbers on their website are typically overstated compared to other vendors. For instance, Garrett claims their turbo produces peak torque of 419 ft-lbs at the flywheel on 104 octane, but IE claims it makes the same amount of torque at the wheels on 91 octane with their tune.

Last edited:

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for the info. Yeah I have heard people hating on them but with no reasons behind it. I have their new intake system,(t.i.p included) and their intercooler. Everything has been good quality and had excellent fitment. I am looking at several different stage 3's and wouldn't be doing my due diligence(and making a smart investment) if I didn't look into every option. IE seems to be the hardest company to find info on. Is that because they are the new kid on the block?

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Thanks for the info. Yeah I have heard people hating on them but with no reasons behind it. I have their new intake system,(t.i.p included) and their intercooler. Everything has been good quality and had excellent fitment. I am looking at several different stage 3's and wouldn't be doing my due diligence(and making a smart investment) if I didn't look into every option. IE seems to be the hardest company to find info on. Is that because they are the new kid on the block?
Their stage 3 kit came out very recently. Their site doesn't list the HPFP they claim is required and their separate page for the turbo still says the tune is unavailable. It's probably hard to get customer thoughts on a turbo for which there aren't yet any customers.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Their stage 3 kit came out very recently. Their site doesn't list the HPFP they claim is required and their separate page for the turbo still says the tune is unavailable. It's probably hard to get customer thoughts on a turbo for which there aren't yet any customers.
I think even generally speaking it is hard to find info on IE stuff. Good, bad, or indifferent. It’s mostly anecdotal. I think people would like to see some numbers. Data they can work with.

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Gingercab, that was one of the things I was curious about. They don't say a hpfp is necessary for the turbo, but says it's needed for their stage 3 tune. Which leads to the question are they making a tune for the stock fueling and then an optimized tune with the hpfp. But I suppose that is a question I should ask them. And gixxer I totally agree about trying to find data not opinions. IE is one of the few sites that I see air flow charts and info about their gear as opposed to just saying our intake will give you 5hp etc.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Gingercab, that was one of the things I was curious about. They don't say a hpfp is necessary for the turbo, but says it's needed for their stage 3 tune. Which leads to the question are they making a tune for the stock fueling and then an optimized tune with the hpfp. But I suppose that is a question I should ask them. And gixxer I totally agree about trying to find data not opinions. IE is one of the few sites that I see air flow charts and info about their gear as opposed to just saying our intake will give you 5hp etc.
I would like to see third party info on their products. Someone neutral. There isn’t any of that either.

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Gixxer, exactly what I'm looking for. Of course they will tell you their stuff is great, I would like to try and find someone that has used their products. As a nice weather daily driver that goes to the track a couple times a year reliability and fun around town is paramount over dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Gixxer, exactly what I'm looking for. Of course they will tell you their stuff is great, I would like to try and find someone that has used their products. As a nice weather daily driver that goes to the track a couple times a year reliability and fun around town is paramount over dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times
100%. I know humble mechanic has been running their stage 2 for a while now. I have contacted him on IG and received a reply, but his Mk7 is still going strong

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I've run IEs 1.8t stage 1 91 octane tune for awhile. I've also recently started to stack my JB4 ontop of it to push it up to 20PSI peak on the IS12.

I'll probably swap IS20 and stay stage 1 and adjust with the JB4 for now. Though I did order a open source tuner from switchleg, so I may dip a toe into that.

I've got logs of stock, stage 1, and stage 1 stack in either JB4 or IE dongle format if you'd like to see them.

If your looking for info, I find FB tends to be more IE friendly than the forums. They have an IE customer group and such where a lot of people from all platforms they support post up logs, questions or issues. Granted you'll also find a lot of circle jerk rhetoric like you do here for Cobb tuners.

IE seems to split the difference between Uni and APR. Uni being high boost, APR being timing. Stage 1 runs up to 16 psi peak with 6.5 timing at 6.5k before shift.

Ian R

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Awesome input, thank you SC. And yeah I would like to take a look at your logs. I am fully built(all bolt-ons you can) but still on my stock is38 with an apr stage 1 tune. Obviously I will have more boost and some other differences but I would like to compare your logs with what I'm getting.