GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Will,
I'm still on the RS4s. They are pretty shot but still usable, and with a 400 mile round trip, I decided to hold off on the nittos.
BTW, I'm thinking of going to thunderhill again on the 25th.

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
EC0C88B5-8F11-4B7F-B08D-5727321B22FD.jpeg

Track name: Streets of Willow CCW
Track location: Rosamond, CA
Lap time: 1:27.2
Year/model: 16 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3400
Estimated wheel horsepower: 260-270 ( Cobb AP OTS Stage 2)
Tire size and model: 245/40/17 RE71 on Apex SM10 17x9
Estimated ambient temperature: 70’s

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Barber Motorsports Park 1:48.4 in my second session at the track. Unfortunately a failed wheel bearing cut the fun short and I was not able to get more track time to improve my time.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Track name: Sonoma
Lap time: 1:56.1

A good day with Trackmaster Racing, 4/9/22. I'm beginning to like Sonoma more and more, in part because it seems easier on the car than Laguna Seca and Thunderhill East and more demanding of skill. I had a pair of brothers in my run group, one with a Cayman 718 and the other with a BMW. We traded places through the day and had a good time.
I was on nearly new Nittos but don't think they offer much improvement in lap time over the previous Hankook RS4.
Bern

Estimated ambient temperature: 60-75F
Year/model: 2017 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver & passenger: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 300
Fuel: 91
Notes on setup:
Power train: 034 Stage 2, DSG tune, Racingline oil cooler, BRSK-ER12S plugs
Suspension: RSB, trailing arm, Dogbone, -2.5 camber F&R
Tires: 245/40r18 Nitto NT-01, 2nd track day, targeted hot pressure of 35psi F, 34psi R
Brakes: Stoptech 4 pot, 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS29 yellow
Sonoma.jpg

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

A good day with Trackmaster Racing, 4/9/22. I'm beginning to like Sonoma more and more, in part because it seems easier on the car than Laguna Seca and Thunderhill East and more demanding of skill. I had a pair of brothers in my run group, one with a Cayman 718 and the other with a BMW. We traded places through the day and had a good time.
I was on nearly new Nittos but don't think they offer much improvement in lap time over the previous Hankook RS4.
Bern

Notes on setup:
Tires: 245/40r18 Nitto NT-01, 2nd track day, targeted hot pressure of 35psi F, 34psi R
View attachment 245471
Great laps and representation for the GTI! Love to see it keeping up with Caymans.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion

Bern

Notes on setup:
View attachment 245471

That's a very nice couple of laps. (y)

I'm with Will. Always nice to see the VW's hang with the Porsches..

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Track Name: Thunderhill East (bypass)
Lap time: 2:02.33

Despite traffic and a bit of a sloppy lap, thanks to the magic of new tires I was able to knock 1.7s off my old PR and post this lap today. This was the first session of the day, on the first flying lap after the session had gotten black flagged. Unfortunately the second session was also black flagged, as coolant was dropped on T1 that I was the first to hit, sending me into a huge slide at 90mph that thankfully I and the car escaped unharmed. In session 3 and 4 I managed a 2:04.3 and 2:04.0 that were better laps technically, but I just didn't have the same grip as I did in the morning. Session 5 I put the car onto the grass on my first flying lap, so took it easy after that :)

Estimated ambient temperature: 50F
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver & passenger: 3200
Estimated wheel horsepower: 330
Notes on setup: 245/40/17 RT660s, EQT Coilovers, Stoptech ST60 w/ Pagid RSL29, Eibach 25mm RSB,

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
What a eventful day for me at Thunderhill! A week ago I picked my car up after having a Southbend stage 2 daily clutch, Wavetrac front diff, and IS20 turbo installed, after driving it gently for the last week to break the clutch in I've been excited to stretch it's legs on track, and try and learn a new track! 1st session was fine and was trying to feel out the track and learn it, 2nd session I did my best lap and the car was running smoothly, albeit dealing with having to back off as oil temp got high quick with the stock oil "cooler" and extra power I now have. Part way though my 3rd session I started having some really bad vibrations under power and came in, turns out the shop that did the work likely didn't tighten the horizontal bolt that holds the dog bone mount together enough, and it had fallen out! Figured out the bolt I needed and limped into town and found one at Ace Hardware, so helpful. I was stoked to have that fixed and went out for my 4th session and about 3 laps in I noticed oil temp was 262 and I noticed the car pull power between turns 13 and 14, I went fairly slow down that straight and then tried to accelerate down the front straight and it power again and threw a EPC light and went into limp mode. Had codes for cylinder 2-3 missfire, luckily simply clearing the codes had it running perfect again, and I had no issues in the last session of the day, though it had started to rain in that session, so no pushing it much. I tend to think my issue was simply heat related, which I've expected.. Will start saving my pennies for a oil cooler.. Thunderhill West tomorrow!

Track name: Thunderhill East w/bypass
Lap time: 2:10.27
Year/model: 2019 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3510
Estimated wheel horsepower: 260awhp (per APR..)
Tire size and model: 255/40r17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: 55 degrees
Notes on setup :
‘19 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
APR stage 3 IS20 91 tune
Wavetrac Front Diff
APR 350mm front brake kit, Hawk DTC-60 pads, GTI powerpack rear brakes. Ferodo DS2500 pads
Bilstein B16, 034 camber mounts, Super pro front control arms, 034 front and rear swaybars
17x9 Apex SM-10
-2.1 front camber, -1.7 rear, 0 toe front, .1 toe in rear

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
What a eventful day for me at Thunderhill! A week ago I picked my car up after having a Southbend stage 2 daily clutch, Wavetrac front diff, and IS20 turbo installed, after driving it gently for the last week to break the clutch in I've been excited to stretch it's legs on track, and try and learn a new track! 1st session was fine and was trying to feel out the track and learn it, 2nd session I did my best lap and the car was running smoothly, albeit dealing with having to back off as oil temp got high quick with the stock oil "cooler" and extra power I now have. Part way though my 3rd session I started having some really bad vibrations under power and came in, turns out the shop that did the work likely didn't tighten the horizontal bolt that holds the dog bone mount together enough, and it had fallen out! Figured out the bolt I needed and limped into town and found one at Ace Hardware, so helpful. I was stoked to have that fixed and went out for my 4th session and about 3 laps in I noticed oil temp was 262 and I noticed the car pull power between turns 13 and 14, I went fairly slow down that straight and then tried to accelerate down the front straight and it power again and threw a EPC light and went into limp mode. Had codes for cylinder 2-3 missfire, luckily simply clearing the codes had it running perfect again, and I had no issues in the last session of the day, though it had started to rain in that session, so no pushing it much. I tend to think my issue was simply heat related, which I've expected.. Will start saving my pennies for a oil cooler.. Thunderhill West tomorrow!

Track name: Thunderhill East w/bypass
Lap time: 2:10.27
Notes on setup :
APR stage 3 IS20 91 tune
Wavetrac Front Diff
APR 350mm front brake kit, Hawk DTC-60 pads, GTI powerpack rear brakes. Ferodo DS2500 pads
Bilstein B16, 034 camber mounts, Super pro front control arms, 034 front and rear swaybars
17x9 Apex SM-10

Wow, amazed you could find the right bolt at Ace - good work.
Highly recommend oil cooler.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn

Despite traffic and a bit of a sloppy lap, thanks to the magic of new tires I was able to knock 1.7s off my old PR and post this lap today. This was the first session of the day, on the first flying lap after the session had gotten black flagged. Unfortunately the second session was also black flagged, as coolant was dropped on T1 that I was the first to hit, sending me into a huge slide at 90mph that thankfully I and the car escaped unharmed. In session 3 and 4 I managed a 2:04.3 and 2:04.0 that were better laps technically, but I just didn't have the same grip as I did in the morning. Session 5 I put the car onto the grass on my first flying lap, so took it easy after that :)

Notes on setup: 245/40/17 RT660s, EQT Coilovers, Stoptech ST60 w/ Pagid RSL29, Eibach 25mm RSB,

Wow, great times and great corner speeds. I've got to look at the RT660s next time I need tires! Are you going to post your slide in Session 2?
Bern

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Wow, amazed you could find the right bolt at Ace - good work.
Highly recommend oil cooler.
Yep, I was very happy to find it! Wasn’t stoked on the possibility of not being able to do west today and limping 3hrs home..

oil cooler will be soon as I’m able, till then I’m going be paying very close attention and keep an eye on temps better.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

How did the RT660"s hold up?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
How did the RT660"s hold up?
So far I’m quite happy with them. I rotated them after running the East course yesterday prior to running the West course today. I measured at the end of the day and was at 5.5mm all around. If looks like I’ll get 5 days of them, which is about what I expected. They come up to temp faster than RS4s and have slightly more peak grip. They also didn’t get greasy on me either day, but it was as fairly cool weekend, and many of my sessions were cut short for various reasons. For my goals, which were A) go really fast and B) don’t spend too much $, they work great. I did have this weird strip appear on both tires and the end today. I think I may have got them a little to hot as I was driving very hard my last session. Will keep an eye on it.
C5657C0A-66F8-4C23-AD32-5B13E0B1F6A2.jpeg

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Track name: Thunderhill West
Lap time: 1:29.55

Like East yesterday, today was my first day at Thunderhill West. It had rained overnight, but luckily the track dried quick and the rain turned out to be a none issue. After a track day yesterday, I pretty quickly felt good in the car and got to work learning the track. By the second session I felt fairly good on the lines I was taking, but I was one of the fastest cars in my run group and traffic was a big problem through the first 2 sessions. 3rd session I made sure to be the first car out and on my first flying lap did the 1:29.55 lap. Fairly happy with the lap, though I left time on the table in turn 2, and got a little lose into turn 6. Later in the session I got as much as 6/10's up on that time before having traffic. Optimal lap was a 1:28.83, which seemed like it was doable. I feel pretty confident that maybe with a little more camber and some cleaning up of things, low 1:28's would be within reach with the R-S4's that are on the car. I did start the 4th session, but on my 2nd flying lap I had the same limp mode/EPC/missfire as yesterday, oil temp was only 220, so it seems unlikely that was it, need to pull the plugs and see how they're looking.

Notes on setup :
APR stage 3 IS20 91 tune
Wavetrac Front Diff
17x9 Apex SM-10