GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Battle - IE VS MAP VS COBB VS Trackslag VS HPA

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Someone please donate your stock R/S3 so we can have this downpipe! šŸ¤£ NYC is quite a distance from Denver, or I'd go and do it lol. Looks amazing.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Someone please donate your stock R/S3 so we can have this downpipe! šŸ¤£ NYC is quite a distance from Denver, or I'd go and do it lol. Looks amazing.
I was in their shop today and they have a stock S3 lined up for next week so hopefully they will be able to bring this DP to market shortly

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Completed 4" DP with 4" G-Sport GESI cat for my Golf R. It's 4" all the way until after the cat where you can see the taper to 3". 485 is still currently looking for a local S3 or R with a stock exhaust (mine isn't so didn't work for his purposes) to build out the fixture to for the final prodcution version.
Plans to offer in both catted (mine has 4" G-Sport GESI cat) and catless, as well as, ceramic coating if desired. They will be shooting to keep pricing as competitive as possible, but will be more than the Trackslag. The bonus on 485's DP is with the v band placement, the downpipe fits in/out of the car from the top of the engine bay and doesn't require the driveshaft to be unbolted.

Final go to market version will vary slightly from what you see here. Some people have asked about O2 sensor bung being placed after the cat, which they may do in final production version or just have it as an option. I didn't care about placement since I leave mine unplugged anyway. They just threw a bolt in mine since I removed my wire completely.
If anyone is interested contact Nick at 485 Designs https://www.485designs.net/automotivefabrication

View attachment 238767

View attachment 238768

View attachment 238769

View attachment 238770

Looks like they welded two standard ATP Mqb v bands together to over come the 4ā€ outlet issue?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Looks like they welded two standard ATP Mqb v bands together to over come the 4ā€ outlet issue?
Not sure. I just asked for a 4" DP with a 4" GESI cat as far downstream as possible to mate with my existing custom 3" midpipe that they had designed to add a 17950 to a little over a year ago. Other than that I left the rest to them.
These guys have a ton of experience and have designed a lot of exhausts etc for some pretty high end cars, so I pretty much put my trust into what they came with and I'm happy with the end result. I'm sure if you reached out to Nick at 485 he would be more than happy to provide details. Genuinely nice crew over there that I'm sure would be happy to answer any technical questions.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
If you look closely they used what looks like 1/8" sheet ( judging by the size of the inside weld). There's clearly a flat edge where the arrow is. The small bead on the outside it either an autogenous bead to clean up the area or done with an .045 filler rod. That was a good idea to save the space of a 3-4" transition. You would need to build an argon box if you don't have one already and do that weld inside to prevent discoloration and sugaring on the outside.

485 DP #1a.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not sure. I just asked for a 4" DP with a 4" GESI cat as far downstream as possible to mate with my existing custom 3" midpipe that they had designed to add a 17950 to a little over a year ago. Other than that I left the rest to them.
These guys have a ton of experience and have designed a lot of exhausts etc for some pretty high end cars, so I pretty much put my trust into what they came with and I'm happy with the end result. I'm sure if you reached out to Nick at 485 he would be more than happy to provide details. Genuinely nice crew over there that I'm sure would be happy to answer any technical questions.

I can see that itā€™s not one piece, which isnā€™t ideal but I can see why theyā€™d do it for a one off part.

Currently material shortages have raw stainless bar stock prices insanely high. If a bunch of shops who plan to offer 4ā€ downpipes went in together to increase volume thatā€™s the biggest factor for machined parts pricing. Example:

1 V band $750

100 V bands $50 each, but itā€™s a lot easier to buy that many across four shops rather than just one putting up $5,000.
98D0C20D-2A71-4202-ABE4-D52C5DBDAA30.jpeg
776642A5-1C1B-4600-AEC2-1397B711181D.jpeg
42557149-E87C-457F-9B10-C47B3DD2AC2E.jpeg

If you look closely they used what looks like 1/8" sheet ( judging by the size of the inside weld). There's clearly a flat edge where the arrow is. The small bead on the outside it either an autogenous bead to clean up the area or done with an .045 filler rod. That was a good idea to save the space of a 3-4" transition. You would need to build an argon box if you don't have one already and do that weld inside to prevent discoloration and sugaring on the outside.

View attachment 238854

Looks more like they turned down a second v band on a lathe, but either way itā€™s not ideal.

Personally I wouldnā€™t do the purge box in this application, because thereā€™s no way to clamp the part to keep it from warping.

I always have v bands clamped down to a fixture or v band while welding to keep it perfectly flat, since I donā€™t have a mill to fix it if I let it warp.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You can make a box big enough to use a V band purge block or a TiCon copper chill block inside. Another option is to use a trailing shield box on the outside as you weld the inside.

https://www.ckworldwide.com/products/tc-3r-premium-trailing-shield
https://usaweld.com/products/4-single-v-band-purge-plug-w-vent

But I agree, having a solid V-band would be the best way to go. I think Trackslag is using the same 3.5" V-band I linked from the UK and welding the 4" to the outside of it.

Probably a moot point, I doubt Iā€™ll end up offering 4ā€ for these cars.

Furick is developing trailing cups too, so my goal is to purchase a weld positioner & one of those along with TIG aesthetics positioner fixtures.

So many cool tools in the industry, just adds up quick especially with this being a side gig.
70C5745A-6620-45EB-B16E-8FE2B774856D.jpeg
42823EF7-DE27-4B38-80B8-E3541BDDFB0B.jpeg

I made a chill block first thing when I bought my TIG

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
So many cool tools in the industry, just adds up quick especially with this being a side gig.
I know the feeling... when I retired from the Army in '17 I decided to open my own business doing detailing/motorsport work from home. I ended up closing shop at the end of '19 because the market in my area is saturate with cheap places and people that don't value good work and rather have the cheapest option available. I ended up being almost $20k in the hole. Granted I have all the tools needed if I ever decide to do something.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Any impressions now that its installed, where you able to see the installation and its ease?

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Any impressions now that its installed, where you able to see the installation and its ease?

Don't notice much of a sound difference vs my old IE DP.
It hits peak boost at about the same rpm as well (~3400rpm..since I'm at 6k elevation we take a hit on spool so even though I'm standard housing I hit peak boost about same rpm as sea level XLs), however, the IE DP was when I was on the stock DI (no MPI) where peak boost was @ 30psi on E30.
I'm now on MPI and I just completed a live road tune session with Ed @ EQT on Tuesday for E40. I asked for a moderately aggressive daily tune since I still have E85 tune to go which I will request be fairly aggressive. Anyway, he settled on peak boost at 32psi with the tune so although I'm hitting peak at same RPM with the new DP vs old IE DP I'm also 2psi higher on the peak boost mark I have hit.
I would have liked to get a before and after dyno session in to see hard whp & wtq data, but that's unfortunately not going to happen.
I wasn't at the shop for the actual install so I didn't see it go in. I'll have some dyno #'s next month since I'm doing the E85 tune on the dyno here locally with Ed, but again won't really help much with the old DP vs new DP comparison.

BTW - they got a stock catback R In the shop today so they are working on the final production version now

Last edited:

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Don't notice much of a sound difference vs my old IE DP.
It hits peak boost at about the same rpm as well (~3400rpm..since I'm at 6k elevation we take a hit on spool so even though I'm standard housing I hit peak boost about same rpm as sea level XLs), however, the IE DP was when I was on the stock DI (no MPI) where peak boost was @ 30psi on E30.
I'm now on MPI and I just completed a live road tune session with Ed @ EQT on Tuesday for E40. I asked for a moderately aggressive daily tune since I still have E85 tune to go which I will request be fairly aggressive. Anyway, he settled on peak boost at 32psi with the tune so although I'm hitting peak at same RPM with the new DP vs old IE DP I'm also 2psi higher on the peak boost mark I have hit.
I would have liked to get a before and after dyno session in to see hard whp & wtq data, but that's unfortunately not going to happen.
I wasn't at the shop for the actual install so I didn't see it go in. I'll have some dyno #'s next month since I'm doing the E85 tune on the dyno here locally with Ed, but again won't really help much with the old DP vs new DP comparison.

BTW - they got a stock catback R In the shop today so they are working on the final production version now
Good to hear. I am chomping at the bit to order one of these. I'll scoff at people waiting in line for the latest iteration of the iPhone every 6 months, but I will sit here and pine over some DP or other such car part.

Reactions: MSH

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R