GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Battle - IE VS MAP VS COBB VS Trackslag VS HPA

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
This looks sexy as hell and I love that it's a GESI cat. My only concern is down the line if I have issues or something goes wrong lot's of people have Trackslag DP and working out issues might be easier with a more well known/used manufacturer, Also $1,400 is STEEP
Yup I definitely get it. It's a niche market that will be willing to spend the $ for this. I will say that it's right in line pricing wise with other high end GESI downpipes however. Also, as far as I know, this is the largest DP currently on the market being a 4" to 3.5" midpipe. Probably not at all important/critical for a say a Stage 2 R or S3, but as you add bigger power with hybrids or certainly full frames+built engines this DP would be a great option.

DBV2's 3.5" GESI HO catted DP is $1,450.
Cobb's GESI 3" when available was $1400

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 1.59.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 2.02.17 PM.png

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
DBV2's 3.5" GESI HO catted DP is $1,450.
Cobb's GESI 3" when available was $1400
Also isn't the 485 built with a 400 cell count GESI? I don't know about the DBV2 but no one else is currently offering a 400 cell for the R.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSH

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Also isn't the 485 built with a 400 cell count GESI? I don't about DBV2 but no one else is currently offering a 400 cell for the R.
Not off the shelf but MAPerformance will do one-offs I think. Everyone else is using the 300 cell Gen1 EPA HO cats (or non-EPA "cats")

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Also isn't the 485 built with a 400 cell count GESI? I don't about DBV2 but no one else is currently offering a 400 cell for the R.
Yes, 485 built my DP with a Gen2 4" so it has the 400 cell. Here's a pic of mine (G-sport GESI sku = 50200).
DBV2's site shows they use the 50030 which is a Gen1 4" body with 3" inlet/outlets.

485 DP #4.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Also $1,400 is STEEP
Not STEEP when compared with equal items in the market with GESi cats. Trackslad is around $1100+ including shipping and looks like crap compared with the other ones.
Jake is using a 400 GESi now, those are the 2017+ OBD2 compliant cats. This drives the price up.

The main issue most are missing is that 485, Trackslag, and Jake's downpipe are not a mass produced item. The price is going to be higher. Jake has the benefit of not having to pay employees to build his dp and saves some overhead so he can provide a better price.

When it comes to quality, both Jake and 485 take the win here, they can be show pieces on their own. Their welding is on point, still baffled that Jake is able to keep that golden/straw color on all his welds with no stainless discoloration halo. Trackslag leave a lot to be desired, and in my opinion, most of the ones I have seen posted here look like a beginner welded them. And the tubing they use looks ( I know it is 304 as they state in their website) like aluminized steel.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not STEEP when compared with equal items in the market with GESi cats. Trackslad is around $1100+ including shipping and looks like crap compared with the other ones.

Jake is using a 400 GESi now, those are the 2017+ OBD2 compliant cats. This drives the price up.

The main issue most are missing is that 485, Trackslag, and Jake's downpipe are not a mass produced item. The price is going to be higher. Jake has the benefit of not having to pay employees to build his dp and saves some overhead so he can provide a better price.

When it comes to quality, both Jake and 485 take the win here, they can be show pieces on their own. Their welding is on point, still baffled that Jake is able to keep that golden/straw color on all his welds with no stainless discoloration halo. Trackslag leave a lot to be desired, and in my opinion, most of the ones I have seen posted here look like a beginner welded them. And the tubing they use looks ( I know it is 304 as they state in their website) like aluminized steel.
Correct me if I'm wrong (speaking directly to you) but I believe Jake only makes DP's for GTI's?

Edited for correctitude. I messaged him about a DP for my car and he only does them the GTI's and GLI's. What the hell Jake give your R brothers some love. JK

I just need to pull the trigger on something. I'm between Trackslag or 485 at this point.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Correct me if I'm wrong (speaking directly to you) but I believe Jake only makes DP's for GTI's?

Edited for correctitude. I messaged him about a DP for my car and he only does them the GTI's and GLI's. What the hell Jake give your R brothers some love. JK

I just need to pull the trigger on something. I'm between Trackslag or 485 at this point.
Are you planning to get a bigger turbo?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

Yeah, GTI/GLI, no R owner close to him willing to go spend a few hours while he makes a jig.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Then why do you want such a crazy downpipe?
Well for starters I live in VA which means I will have to pass Emissions every two years. I know there are some hacks and ways around it with putting the tune back to stock and getting everything to show rediness but I figured a DP with a 400Cell Gesi would be my best bet at minimizing the effort it would take to get it legal.
Also to be honest my car is my hobby. I get a lot of pleasure out of looking at 15 different DP's and way over analyzing the pro's and cons to each. Its possible sub consciously I hold off on pulling the trigger on one because then I wont need to research them anymore.
And lastly the over researching/analyzing tends to leave me with an option that is overkill. Do I really need a stage 3 clutch? No but from what I could gather it was the best one.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Maybe the best chance passing emissions without changing tune would be , buy a second hand IE down pipe . Cut the cat out and get a Gessi G-Sport Gen 2 #85500 or # 85600 welded in it’s place .
Non of these cat’s will guarantee emissions pass because it’s about the application and there’s to many variables/variables in tunes.
Cheers

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I'm close enough but don't have the budget right now to purchase a DP from him along with the proper tune. But I could possibly work something out if he wanted to use the car for development.
Why don't you PM him? Having a jig for the R will bring him more customers.