GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I
It's official, my dealer determined the cause was the suction pump in my 2017 Golf. My Golf was made in Mexico April 2017. They disconnected the vent valve from the charcoal canister and proved fuel was venting into the charcoal canister via the suction pump while the car was running. See picture below.

Is this related to the fuel suction pump recall that was done few yrs ago?

techserb

Car(s)
'17 GTI
folks that got their fuel tank replaced, has your fuel gauge been accurate since?

When I picked my car up from the fuel tank replacement, it was showing a little over half full, but during the 30 minute drive home the gauge went to like 1/3 full. I got under, saw no leaks, went to the gas station and made sure that i can fill up the tank no problem. But ever since then i kept thinking maybe the fuel level thing on the fuel pump is messed up and now i could be empty when it hits 1/3, so i'd make sure not to go past it before refueling.

Well, yesterday i didn't refuel and it ran out of gas (on the highway) when it was showing 1/3 full, so my prediction was accurate. I know that your supposed to have the same level of fuel inside the tank when you remove and put the fuel pump back in, but they replaced the entire tank and i would think they knew that.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
My seems accurate still.
But they didn't replace my gas, car had about 3/4 tank when I dropped it off and got it back with 1/3

Wiseone

Car(s)
2016 MK7 gti
2016 GTI
My last fuel up the pump wouldnt let me put in more than a half gallon at a time before it would shutoff so I moved to another pump and the car let me fuel up like regular and I didn't think much of it. A couple days later I was driving and noticed a weird sputtering and knew something was wrong. After I got home I noticed fuel in my driveway coming from the passenger rear wheel well. I took wheel and fender liner off and found it was coming from my evap cannister.
I'm guessing it was from me overfilling but I'm not certain since there was a recall on this exact issue.

I ended up changing the suction pump in the fuel tank, the evap cannister and the evap purge valve just to be safe. So far no leaks and the car seems to be driving like normal.

Part number for the suction pump is 5Q0 201 029

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I just had the same problem, 2017 with 45k miles. I noticed a stutter when driving, could not fill more than 1 gallon, and next time I stopped gas was pouring from rear quarter. I had it towed and should know the results tomorrow. I guess I should contact VWOA as this typically isn't covered under warranty? Perhaps there would be some good will effort.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I just had the same problem, 2017 with 45k miles. I noticed a stutter when driving, could not fill more than 1 gallon, and next time I stopped gas was pouring from rear quarter. I had it towed and should know the results tomorrow. I guess I should contact VWOA as this typically isn't covered under warranty? Perhaps there would be some good will effort.
Seems most are able to get VW to cover the repair, but expect some resistance before they do

Kevinb

2017 gti 6MT. Have been experiencing shuttering all week. Took it to the shop, they replaced the cam adjuster magnet thinking that was the issue. I’m not even a mile away from the shop and it’s shuttering again. I get home and there’s gas leaking. What’s the move here?

Attachments

• EA793179-64F2-4D38-98DE-32786DDABC54.jpeg
    EA793179-64F2-4D38-98DE-32786DDABC54.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
2017 gti 6MT. Have been experiencing shuttering all week. Took it to the shop, they replaced the cam adjuster magnet thinking that was the issue. I’m not even a mile away from the shop and it’s shuttering again. I get home and there’s gas leaking. What’s the move here?
It's the suction pump inside the gas tank. Mine just went out 2 week's ago. It's a $40 part from VW takes 20 mins to install with backseat removal and lpfp removal. I would advice replacing the n80 valve, gas cap and clean out/blow dry the charcoal canister or if your made of money repalce the charcoal canister.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Also get your money back from the shop. Lol

Kevinb

Also get your money back from the shop. Lol
It's the suction pump inside the gas tank. Mine just went out 2 week's ago. It's a $40 part from VW takes 20 mins to install with backseat removal and lpfp removal. I would advice replacing the n80 valve, gas cap and clean out/blow dry the charcoal canister or if your made of money repalce the charcoal canister.
Thanks a mil!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I was told on some cars (including my 2017) the suction pump is molded into the tank and isn't replaceable. Which means having to replace the whole tank.

My repairs were covered by the dealer, but if I was lied to I would love to know. They also replaced the canister and fuel lines iirc

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I was told on some cars (including my 2017) the suction pump is molded into the tank and isn't replaceable. Which means having to replace the whole tank.

My repairs were covered by the dealer, but if I was lied to I would love to know. They also replaced the canister and fuel lines iirc
Yikes if that's the case... That sucks. You could check and see with your cell phone. It would take legit 15 mins. 10 of which is just waiting for the pressure in the lines to go down. Lol

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I wish I saved the video I took, but when you take out the lpfp it's towards the back driver side. Almost the middle of the center seat in the back. It's connected to your lpfp line so you could trace it that way.