GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Have driven a fully loaded B9 A4 Prestige. Comfortable ride with plenty of features to make me jealous as fuck (that heads up display in the windshield is slick as fuck), but absolutely boring as hell to drive. Feels like driving a boat.
Get the s line and do a stage one tune with a cat back. You'll have my respect. If you get a GLI you'll either leave the mk7 forums a lesbian, or stay on them, a lesbian.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Get the s line and do a stage one tune with a cat back. You'll have my respect. If you get a GLI you'll either leave the mk7 forums a lesbian, or stay on them, a lesbian.

sou-gay-gay.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Either way, I'm not going anywhere.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It is entirely possible I just don't like the GLI. That's the whole point of a test drive. While I get frustrated with it, I still absolutely love my GTI. So if the GLI isn't fun to drive, I won't compromise on it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It is entirely possible I just don't like the GLI. That's the whole point of a test drive. While I get frustrated with it, I still absolutely love my GTI. So if the GLI isn't fun to drive, I won't compromise on it.
i like to tease but the GLI can be a good move, i would think you would have plenty of things to swap over and personalize it and not hurt the "simple car" modded concerns - ie the brakes, shift knob, wheels (big must! oems all suck big time on the gli)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
i like to tease but the GLI can be a good move, i would think you would have plenty of things to swap over and personalize it and not hurt the "simple car" modded concerns - ie the brakes, shift knob, wheels (big must! oems all suck big time on the gli)

Shift knob and steering wheel would come 100%. If there is a capacitive climatronic unit I can get for it off AliExpress, that would go in. I wouldn't be opposed to the wheels coming, if the dealer wanted to swap. If not, new wheels would probably be the first purchase. The brakes I'd consider if nobody bought them from the theoretical part out thread. But if it comes to the point of parting out, @dtfd is local and seemed pretty interested in them. Maybe I could talk him into a Vortex too 🤣

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't need an explanation but I'm perplexed that you were so close to having what you worked hard to achieve and then it went kaboom.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Shift knob and steering wheel would come 100%. If there is a capacitive climatronic unit I can get for it off AliExpress, that would go in. I wouldn't be opposed to the wheels coming, if the dealer wanted to swap. If not, new wheels would probably be the first purchase. The brakes I'd consider if nobody bought them from the theoretical part out thread. But if it comes to the point of parting out, @dtfd is local and seemed pretty interested in them. Maybe I could talk him into a Vortex too 🤣
don't tempt me with these things......

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
My 2 cents, not that anyone cares, put an ISO for a used standard housing out there. Buy it for $100-200.

Get Ed to tell you what the actual bypass port spec is supposed to be. Mod the new housing (if required based on spec).

Swap housings. Measure the old one. If the turbo still doesn't function, ask for a replacement. Especially if you have tried a new WG actuator.

My car rips. I love it. But I know someone else with the same issue, but not as explicit.

I honestly think yours is bad enough to deserve a warranty housing. If it is the housing and not tuning. From the logs I have seen, it sure looks like the housing.

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I'm still in camp revert to stage 2, keep the car, sell all auxiliary parts. If you're already reverting so much back to stock to sell, why not just revert enough to be stage 2 and then just sell off the Vortex supporting mods? Seemed like you didn't think too much about the car at stage 2, and still found it enjoyable...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm still in camp revert to stage 2, keep the car, sell all auxiliary parts. If you're already reverting so much back to stock to sell, why not just revert enough to be stage 2 and then just sell off the Vortex supporting mods? Seemed like you didn't think too much about the car at stage 2, and still found it enjoyable...
He seems like he's "over" the car itself and would want to get into something newer.

I'm in the camp, fix the issue, you've come so far, you have a wicked car.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
He seems like he's "over" the car itself and would want to get into something newer.

Damn. Seemed like he just didn't want to deal with the added concerns with the vortex. Maybe keep the downpipe(would this even fit?) and supporting mods to go stage 2 on the GLI??

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I don't know if "over" is the right word. Like, I love my car. Even if I trade it in, I'm considering getting a full mural of it tattoo'd on my back.

For me to back down from a FBO Vortex GTI I love, it would have to be to something that offers 100% peace of mind. Even if I put my IS20 back on, I know myself. "What if there was any residual issues hanging around?"

And I'm not even sure there is an issue to fix. Ed's definition of traction and just the environment in general line up with what I'm seeing. It's hard to tell due to good logs being difficult to get.

Here's a partial 3rd gear log from the other day. As expected, nothing of concern.
Here's a partial 4th gear log from this morning. Again, as expected, nothing of concern.
Here's a partial 3rd gear log from this morning as well. Only part that is "off", is when I was loosing traction, even with TC off. And of course, you start to loose traction, car is going to turn down boost, and the wastegate will open to do that. Boost started to come down, but 1/3rd a second later, car regained traction, wastegate closed a bit, and everything went back to normal. That seems like pretty expected behavior.

"Well dumbass, if you're coming to the conclusion that there isn't an issue, why do you still want to get rid of the car?"

Because even if I come to the conclusion what I'm seeing is normal, I'm the kind of person who will still have the "But what if it's not normal, and something is actually wrong?" thought in the back of my head. Which is what I don't want.

Damn. Seemed like he just didn't want to deal with the added concerns with the vortex. Maybe keep the downpipe(would this even fit?) and supporting mods to go stage 2 on the GLI??

After going through all the stages on my GTI... Stock. Then a JB4 to start. Then stage 1. Then stage 2 with a downpipe. Then FBO Vortex... The only real pit stops I'm missing are an IS38 in between the stage 2 and Vortex, or going to a full built engine and big turbo after the Vortex... This might be heresy to say around here, but I don't think the incremental power differences are worth it. Going from stock to JB4 was a pretty decent sized bump. Then going to stage 1 was a small bump. Then stage 2 was a small bump. Then of course the Vortex is another big bump. Tuning the car is fantastic if you like tinkering and modifying your car. Which I did with the GTI. But in terms of actual performance gains, I don't think going above a JB4 is worth the minimal, but potential, risks to the car (this mostly speaks to one where you still have a warranty in tact), unless you're going right to the end with a turbo swap. Go big or go home.