GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17's & Stoptech BBK

laughing_sir

My old advan RS fit stop tech 355. 17x8 et 47

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

liljonny16

Ready to race!
Nice! Thanks for that! Now I should add, anyone running more economically priced 17's? Lol

I'd like to keep it below $1200 for wheels. I have a set of the Kosei K5R's and they don't fit. I printed out the Stoptech template and did the test fit and it "cleared." But when I was test fitting the actual wheels and brakes, no go.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Nice! Thanks for that! Now I should add, anyone running more economically priced 17's? Lol

I'd like to keep it below $1200 for wheels. I have a set of the Kosei K5R's and they don't fit. I printed out the Stoptech template and did the test fit and it "cleared." But when I was test fitting the actual wheels and brakes, no go.

Something like a Neuspeed RsE05 in 17x8 should fit what you're looking for.

https://www.neuspeedflowform.com/collections/vw-audi/products/neuspeed-rse05?variant=17319193031

You've also got options like Konig HyperGrams:

https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-formed-wheels/hypergram/

I don't know how these fit with StopTechs specifically but the design does push the spokes out in both options for clearance, versus a very straight spoke wheel.

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
Hypergram has a "sunk" face, not a good design if brake clearance is a priority. I'd have to measure, but it's close even with just PP brakes. I think Konig has other wheels (Rennform?) that would have more clearance.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hypergram has a "sunk" face, not a good design if brake clearance is a priority. I'd have to measure, but it's close even with just PP brakes. I think Konig has other wheels (Rennform?) that would have more clearance.

Not sure if I agree, Konig specifically markets the HyperGram to have "big brake clearance" which isn't specific but if you check their instagram, etc. you'll see a lot of big brake shots. I have the Rennforms but in the 18x9 which is a bit more concave and I don't think it has much clearance at all. Their 8" wide specs in Rennform have a very flat spoke to it.

Not a great photo, but this is the 18x9 ET45 with a 10mm spacer, stock R brakes. Quite a bit of clearance, but if you take out the spacer and the spoke profile from the 9" wide wheel its much less:

20180503_175207_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Then again here is Muzdubs car, 18x8" Rennforms clearing ST60s 355mm but just, not sure a 17" wheel would clear that rotor diameter:

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Konig has excellent customer service, if you email them the brake template they will do a drawing for you and get an idea of what will fit. They helped me tremendously with spec'ing out wheels for the TT-RS brake kit.

liljonny16

Ready to race!
I contacted Neuspeed. They said the RsE05 won't work because of the barrel shape. He said I'd have to do a forged wheel like Ray's.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Did you find anything? Ray's wheels are nice and all, but $$. Maybe really light 18s and call it a day?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

liljonny16

Ready to race!
Did you find anything? Ray's wheels are nice and all, but $$. Maybe really light 18s and call it a day?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, those Ray's are more money than I wanna spend. But I haven't found any other 17's yet. I wonder if anything from Enkei or Motegi would fit.

I may end up getting 18's eventually but I just bought the 17's in November and I probably don't have 2K miles on them. So I'd rather buy new 17" wheels versus new wheels and tires.

Twistiee

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R, MK6 GTI
Konig has excellent customer service, if you email them the brake template they will do a drawing for you and get an idea of what will fit. They helped me tremendously with spec'ing out wheels for the TT-RS brake kit.
What TT-RS kit did you get? I've got the Vagbremtechnic one (4 pot with 362mm rotors), but they don't have a drawing /template and I'm struggling to find 18s to fit over them - the hypergrams would need a 23mm spacer apparently! (unfortunately in NZ you can't run spacers 😒)

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
What TT-RS kit did you get? I've got the Vagbremtechnic one (4 pot with 362mm rotors), but they don't have a drawing /template and I'm struggling to find 18s to fit over them - the hypergrams would need a 23mm spacer apparently! (unfortunately in NZ you can't run spacers 😒)
devils advocate, how would they know you're running spacers?

Twistiee

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R, MK6 GTI
devils advocate, how would they know you're running spacers?
We have to get a "warrant of fitness" every 6 months unfortunately so they would pick it up then.... Also if you get randomly pulled over the cops will check those things. They're quite tight with the rules here