GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
Yep that's awesome and Apex just confirmed they can fit the 356x32 ProdigyWerks 6-piston BBK in their 17x19" as well without spacers so lots of options with that wheel. I'm sure the Stoptech ST-60 is top tier, PW just wins out on price as I think all in it will be around $2500 for their track version of the caliper. Still trying to track down the exact pad shape being used in that to make sure there are plenty of aftermarket options.

@GTIfan99 Macans felt pretty good (no loose pedal or anything) but my concern is compliance and the heat in that system as well on heavy track use, I'm pushing this car as hard as I can stage 2 mainly on VIR and don't want brakes to be my limiting factor as I'm aiming for future TT and instructing. I'll feel better about that choice and let someone local grab the Macans as they are plenty good enough for all street and most track. My priorities have changed about monthly here but I'm starting to choose high and work backwards.
I think if I was to go with a BBK in the future, I would go with Essex Racing and their AP kits. Reason being is the cost for replacement rings and Ferodo pads for their kits are always 1/2 the cost of the same pads for other kits. Yes, they do cost more in the beginning but you save in consumables, and if you track a lot. Those savings are be significant. Even though PW might be cheaper for their version of the caliper, find out what it will cost for replacement rotors if you are going with 2 piece ones and not using stock rotors. Our cars are heavy and even with a BBK, the rotors will develop a lot of heat and get chewed up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have seen a picture of the APR 350 BBK with the Apex SM-10 17x9 wheels on a wagon actually in one of the Apex threads. Pretty impressive that it fits! So the popularity of 17s here is just for cost of tires? Don't the larger sidewalls of the 17" flex more than same 18" setup? The APR BBK is excellent and does fit other brands of pads with a somewhat universal pad shape.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I've got the 350mm APR kit with the 17x9 Apex wheels, while I certainly am nowhere near the limit or fast enough that I might be loosing time with 17" vs 18" wheels. I went with the 17's as where I live, roads are not great, so I like the little extra cushion of the 17's as aside from getting some track days in, I also drive on the roads a lot with the 17's, plus I personally think it looks better.

IMG_0351.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've got the 350mm APR kit with the 17x9 Apex wheels, while I certainly am nowhere near the limit or fast enough that I might be loosing time with 17" vs 18" wheels. I went with the 17's as where I live, roads are not great, so I like the little extra cushion of the 17's as aside from getting some track days in, I also drive on the roads a lot with the 17's, plus I personally think it looks better.

View attachment 232902
Your'e the one! Dig your wagon. I'm looking at these Apex wheels and want the bronze ones but think I will do 18x8.5s. Just nice to see some 17s that fit these monster brakes! How do you like those BTW? What pads are you running?

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Your'e the one! Dig your wagon. I'm looking at these Apex wheels and want the bronze ones but think I will do 18x8.5s. Just nice to see some 17s that fit these monster brakes! How do you like those BTW? What pads are you running?

Brakes are great! I've got Ferodo DS 2500's in the front and rear, so far they've been problem free. First lap or two at Laguna they were cold and didn't grab great, much better once they got a little heat in them.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
@king524
I like the NT01’s but don’t like the R888R’s which are essentially the same or similar compound. Had a hard time trail-braking with the R888’s. Granted I’ve only done one weekend on the R888’s.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I think if I was to go with a BBK in the future, I would go with Essex Racing and their AP kits. Reason being is the cost for replacement rings and Ferodo pads for their kits are always 1/2 the cost of the same pads for other kits. Yes, they do cost more in the beginning but you save in consumables, and if you track a lot. Those savings are be significant. Even though PW might be cheaper for their version of the caliper, find out what it will cost for replacement rotors if you are going with 2 piece ones and not using stock rotors. Our cars are heavy and even with a BBK, the rotors will develop a lot of heat and get chewed up.
Essex makes a great BBK. Great guys to deal with as well. Their Spiegler brake lines are excellent quality.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Honestly with a-lot of these tires, the reviews mostly come from guys running cars either heavier than ours or lighter. I found out the best way is to test the tires yourself and see what suits your driving style and with our cars being FWD or FWD based. A lot of reviews don't work for us. I have went through many different tires in the past 3 years tracking from MPS, NT01, R888, Maxxis VR-1 and RC-1. I really liked the RC-1 in the R1 compound and wanted to get a set in 255/40/17 in the R2 compound but it was unavailable. Most likely when these tires are done, i'll get a set of RC-1's to try.

Yeah, that's why I take tire reviews with a grain of salt, even well done tests like Andy does for GRM or TR's tests. FWD heavy-ish FWD car has little in common with a CRX or a 335.

Last edited:

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly with a-lot of these tires, the reviews mostly come from guys running cars either heavier than ours or lighter. I found out the best way is to test the tires yourself and see what suits your driving style and with our cars being FWD or FWD based. A lot of reviews don't work for us. I have went through many different tires in the past 3 years tracking from MPS, NT01, R888, Maxxis VR-1 and RC-1. I really liked the RC-1 in the R1 compound and wanted to get a set in 255/40/17 in the R2 compound but it was unavailable. Most likely when these tires are done, i'll get a set of RC-1's to try.
I ran the Maxxis VR-1 in our time attack series last season and loved them.

I find that tire width also has a major impact on performance depending on what you're doing with them. For example, running a 255+ width will take longer to heat up and won't overheat as easily. Different tires may have different sweet spots. I found the VR-1 to be a competitive 3 hot lap time attack tire. I actually liked them better than the RS-4 and Re71R in the same size.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Interesting. I don’t time trial so it’s important for a tire to be able to handle a 25-30min session. I know RE71’s are fast but the have trouble hanging in for a 30-min session. Same with the Yoko A052’s.

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
Same here, I usually run 20 min sessions and half way through the VR-1's will be greased out from the heat. That's the reason why I loved the RC-1's. They will handle the session all the way even though it takes a few laps to get them up to temp. The AR-1's are handling the 20 min sessions really good. I'm also interested in trying out the new Continental/Hoosier tire since their marketing says they are made for endurance racing.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Never really considered the Maxis RC1’s but reviews seem to indicate that they are faster and last longer than the Toyo RR’s. Just checked and they unfortunately do not come in my size. 255-35-18

I’m also interested in reports for the new Continental Extreme Contact Force. Listed as a 200tw designed for endurance racing. I’m told they run faster than the 200tw spec would imply. Faster than an NT01. Designed to be slightly faster than an RS4 may likely be a very conservative statement.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Never really considered the Maxis RC1’s but reviews seem to indicate that they are faster and last longer than the Toyo RR’s. Just checked and they unfortunately do not come in my size. 255-35-18

I’m also interested in reports for the new Continental Extreme Contact Force. Listed as a 200tw designed for endurance racing. I’m told they run faster than the 200tw spec would imply. Faster than an NT01. Designed to be slightly faster than an RS4 may likely be a very conservative statement.

So far only avaliable in 245 or 275

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Found a small coolant leak under my car. It’s coming from the front of the engine and dripping down in the area of of the oil level sensor on the sump.

This is a new development and doesn’t appear to be connected to my Auxiliary radiator install (Sept 2020), although I plan re-checking everything I touched.

I’m assuming water pump weep hole but, but not sure whether the MK7 water pump as a weep hole when the seal fails.
What are the most common failure point? Water pump or thermostat housing?
Are the quick disconnect hose couplings a problem?