GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Found a small coolant leak under my car. It’s coming from the front of the engine and dripping down in the area of of the oil level sensor on the sump.

This is a new development and doesn’t appear to be connected to my Auxiliary radiator install (Sept 2020), although I plan re-checking everything I touched.

I’m assuming water pump weep hole but, but not sure whether the MK7 water pump as a weep hole when the seal fails.
What are the most common failure point? Water pump or thermostat housing?
Are the quick disconnect hose couplings a problem?
It's almost always the water pump/thermostat housing - there is a v. thin gasket between them and at least on mine, that's where it was leaking from. Can see it if you use a mirror.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
From my initial look without a mirror. The bottom hose that goes up to the bottom of the Thermostat is wet at the connection. This may be coming from the thermostat housing further up…..???

D078EEE5-2A45-48A5-A14C-74CFFD81D34F.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So no more fluid on my garage floor. WTF……??

How does a coolant leak quit after I’ve seen it with my own eyes???

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yeah. Who knows what happened.
Was hoping to get the car setup dialed in some more vs. pulling the intake to do the thermostat/water pump. Then blast the intake carbon.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Mine was sporadic - small spurts from the joint of the water pump and therm. I agree as above - dried coolant acting like stop leak. I actually just dumped a can of Liquimoly Radiator Stop Leak in mine a while back and it hasn't returned even with the track weekend.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mine was sporadic - small spurts from the joint of the water pump and therm. I agree as above - dried coolant acting like stop leak. I actually just dumped a can of Liquimoly Radiator Stop Leak in mind a while back and it hasn't returned even with the track weekend.

I've been silently wondering if that would work, but didn't want to start a flame war. 🤣🤣🤣

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've been silently wondering if that would work, but didn't want to start a flame war. 🤣🤣🤣
It does. Folks loose their minds about doing this but it's fine....the LM product isn't going to "plug up your heater core bro".

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Screenshot_20220107-082825_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220107-082827_Photos.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Short hard brake zone going into T4 at VIR. 80-84mph down to 44-48mph. Last session of the day at Dusk. A slight glow to the rotors, even for a small brake event.
Would be interesting to see the same photo on the back straight going from 142mph to 48mph.
8CA93898-55BA-4CE9-9715-11FA792804A2.png

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thats awesome! I bet they are glowing into T1 and T14.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
They will be bright red going into T1 & T14. I don’t think people realize how much work your brakes are doing going around the track. As you add velocity you exponentially increase the load on the rotors.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
More track video posted on YouTube.
Been looking through all my lap data and sorting my times for each sector from fastest to slowest. Then going back and looking at the video to see if I can learn anything.

My fastest lap was in the first session on Sunday after a 3-day HPDE. Early morning cold temps are ideal for laying down a PB. My PB was a 2:10.1 which came late in the first session. I got another 2:10.9 in my last session on Sunday so it was no fluke. My virtual best on Harry’s is a 2:08.6 which is a significant 1.5 seconds faster.
On both laps I had a slowish last sector to the finish line. Generaly I’m pretty quick down through roller coaster onto to the front straight. When looking at the video I had the same black Cayman #26 give me a slow point by down the front straight. On my PB lap I was 9mph slower at the finish line than I normally am.

Anyways I was trying to figure out where I was losing time to my Virtual Best. A lot of it is consistency, but it is important to have video as traffic plays a big part as well. Having clear track is important but I like having a rabbit to chase. Just squeezing a little extra everywhere will help bring down lap times.

PB- Lap#9/24 with slow point by

2nd Fastest - Lap#19/24 with an earlier point by

tigeo

Autocross Champion
More track video posted on YouTube.
Been looking through all my lap data and sorting my times for each sector from fastest to slowest. Then going back and looking at the video to see if I can learn anything.

My fastest lap was in the first session on Sunday after a 3-day HPDE. Early morning cold temps are ideal for laying down a PB. My PB was a 2:10.1 which came late in the first session. I got another 2:10.9 in my last session on Sunday so it was no fluke. My virtual best on Harry’s is a 2:08.6 which is a significant 1.5 seconds faster.
On both laps I had a slowish last sector to the finish line. Generaly I’m pretty quick down through roller coaster onto to the front straight. When looking at the video I had the same black Cayman #26 give me a slow point by down the front straight. On my PB lap I was 9mph slower at the finish line than I normally am.

Anyways I was trying to figure out where I was losing time to my Virtual Best. A lot of it is consistency, but it is important to have video as traffic plays a big part as well. Having clear track is important but I like having a rabbit to chase. Just squeezing a little extra everywhere will help bring down lap times.

PB- Lap#9/24 with slow point by

2nd Fastest - Lap#19/24 with an earlier point by
Looks like your'e cookin' to me!