GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
*looks at signature*
1640119947412.png

Granted my stuff from CTS/034 are just pipe, but still.

OP, go BFI and don't look back. I'm a huge fan of their mounts (and shift knobs, but that's a whole different discussion).

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

tigeo

Autocross Champion
CTS is the Autozone mod aisle of the VW world
They makes parts that have their place - I have a CTS turbo inlet and turbo muffler delete - zero reason to spend more on those and the parts are fine w/r to quality. I have a CTS resonator delete pipe - it's a nice piece and the price was right.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
It's such a shame these are garbage quality. A properly executed version of these mounts would be so good.

An older, wiser car enthusiast once told me he felt polyurethane had no place in engine/trans mounts, and the more experience I get with poly mounts, the more I agree. BFI still seems like the best option, but added resonance will probably be unavoidable.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's such a shame these are garbage quality. A properly executed version of these mounts would be so good.

An older, wiser car enthusiast once told me he felt polyurethane had no place in engine/trans mounts, and the more experience I get with poly mounts, the more I agree. BFI still seems like the best option, but added resonance will probably be unavoidable.
I agree - I think this design can be v. good. They feel v. good so far - just need to figure out why they moved like that.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I agree - I think this design can be v. good. They feel v. good so far - just need to figure out why they moved like that.

yewh I mean mine were excellent when I first installed them on my last GTI. But 3 days later the engine Mount moving to the right added a lateral load to my Roc-Euro bar which sheared my transmission housing. Car was stock ECU/TCU. I still paid for a new DSG.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Superpro was that. But they stopped making them.

A company that almost exclusively makes poly parts chose to make motor mount with just rubber… they shared your sentiment, lol

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Custom Performance Engineering makes rubber ones too. I’ve had the 70a for 12K or so and they’ve been good so far. I would recommend going with the 55a for people who drive a lot, though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
yewh I mean mine were excellent when I first installed them on my last GTI. But 3 days later the engine Mount moving to the right added a lateral load to my Roc-Euro bar which sheared my transmission housing. Car was stock ECU/TCU. I still paid for a new DSG.
Holy shit man!

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Yeah I’m pretty sure that all 3 are from the same China factory that used an OEM casting to knock them off (they have grind marks where they grind off the oem numbers lol)

So any perceived issues that happen with the o34s probably will happen to all of them… I just put some on my car about a month ago that I REPLACED BFI stage 1 with, haha. I knew the potential for “concerns” but will deal with them as I’m just not a fan of the nvh As I’m mores sensitive to them then others I suppose.

View attachment 233286
Have yours had this issue yet? Wondering because I picked up a set on sale not too long ago. Was hoping they would be better than the 034/CTS offerings but they really seem the same. Was planning to install in the spring.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How do you know the shift in the mount caused the side load? So I just had a look at mine, I found the following spec for the MQB TDI Golf which should be the same - 10mm between the mount and the engine portion - mine is dead on 10mm measured with a 10mm allen wrench which fit tight. So things are aligned...how is that happening then? Unless the mount is just simply not designed/made correctly? I'm going to do some measuring on my stock mount - I seem to remember that the OE mount was nearly touching back there which could point to the answer here...
20211221_101107.jpg
Capture.JPG

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
How do you know the shift in the mount caused the side load? So I just had a look at mine, I found the following spec for the MQB TDI Golf which should be the same - 10mm between the mount and the engine portion - mine is dead on 10mm measured with a 10mm allen wrench which fit tight. So things are aligned...how is that happening then? Unless the mount is just simply not designed/made correctly? I'm going to do some measuring on my stock mount - I seem to remember that the OE mount was nearly touching back there which could point to the answer here...
View attachment 233340View attachment 233341
Mind sharing the link to the manual you have there?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok - I have gotten to the bottom of this issue. Rather than speculating and conspriacy theories, I just go measure shit. Here we go:

Stock mount is 55mm for the "horseshoe" portion and is 73mm at the widest part of the base.

034 mount is 45mm for the "horseshoe" portion and is 70mm at the widest part of the base.

The rubber is sticking out ~10mm.... 55-45 is... drumroll... 10mm. I also definitively recall the OE mount nearly touching the unibody on the back. The 034's metal "horseshoe" portion just isn't wide enough essentially. While an oversight on the design end, this shouldn't cause any issues as I see it b/c the mount has ample support where it needs to be. I will be speaking with 034 and sharing this info with them for sure. I think I have a picture somewhere with the stock mount that will show that they rear portion is nearly touching the unibody just like the rubber portion of the 034 that is sticking out a little.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Have yours had this issue yet? Wondering because I picked up a set on sale not too long ago. Was hoping they would be better than the 034/CTS offerings but they really seem the same. Was planning to install in the spring.
No issues yet, but they have only been, On the car 2 months max