GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I’m sure they’ll fine tooth comb it but there’s still not a single documented case that someone was denied a claim on this platform when it’s removed. The sensors never see anything other than what the stock ecu sees and commands. Trims can slightly change if someone buries the FOL for some reason but that’s worth playing the lotto for.
It can change what the ECU sees for "actual" values but it cannot change logged _requested_ values and that would be the issue (particularly torque logged). And there are cases on other platforms, it's not like VW lacks the tools BMW has on the same Bosch/Continental ECUs. End of the day you're still trading the factory safeties of a pretty fast ECU for a device with "safeties" that poll at what, 10Hz?

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
It can change what the ECU sees for "actual" values but it cannot change logged _requested_ values and that would be the issue (particularly torque logged). And there are cases on other platforms, it's not like VW lacks the tools BMW has on the same Bosch/Continental ECUs. End of the day you're still trading the factory safeties of a pretty fast ECU for a device with "safeties" that poll at what, 10Hz?
This is good. First time I’m hearing of the actual discrepancy of what’s really going on. I know the bmw guys have been caught for sure. Will what you mentioned end up showing up in freeze frames if a fault is stored? And can Odis pick up on this?

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
This is good. First time I’m hearing of the actual discrepancy of what’s really going on. I know the bmw guys have been caught for sure. Will what you mentioned end up showing up in freeze frames if a fault is stored? And can Odis pick up on this?
JB4 can clear active codes but they're always stored in protected NVRAM along with other locked data (immo, VIN, etc.) If you could put the effort into actually overwriting this stuff you really just might as well flash a new calibration (or just go buy an ECU off ebay, remove the immobilizer, and deal with things like logged mileage mismatches when you want to swap back to sell or visit a dealer). And I don't know of anyone who's cracked that area of the SIMOS 18.1x ecu yet anyway.
People go to similar lengths to avoid TD1 flags by only tuning on a standalone but cumulative mileage logged in NVRAM wouldn't match up either. There's really no free lunch when it comes to tuning which is why I'm so negative on JB4, they promise a lot of things that simply aren't true.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
JB4 can clear active codes but they're always stored in protected NVRAM along with other locked data (immo, VIN, etc.) If you could put the effort into actually overwriting this stuff you really just might as well flash a new calibration (or just go buy an ECU off ebay, remove the immobilizer, and deal with things like logged mileage mismatches when you want to swap back to sell or visit a dealer). And I don't know of anyone who's cracked that area of the SIMOS 18.1x ecu yet anyway.
People go to similar lengths to avoid TD1 flags by only tuning on a standalone but cumulative mileage logged in NVRAM wouldn't match up either. There's really no free lunch when it comes to tuning which is why I'm so negative on JB4, they promise a lot of things that simply aren't true.
Thanks for the real data.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Hey all! I just switched from a Uni Stage 2 tune to the EQT 93 octane Stage 2 + DSG tune on my 2019 Golf R. Absolutely loving it and am finally getting under 4s for 0-60.

However, I am still confused about the best launch control technique. From reading the EQT DSG notes, the tune comes with three launch points: 3500, 3700, 4000rpm. Do I need to set the desired launch point I want using the AP or does pedal position determine the RPM hold point during LC?

I tried two launches earlier. One with the pedal at 100% (not into kickdown switch) and it seemed to launch at 4000rpm but the rear tires slipped briefly (first time ever). On the second launch I tried to hold the RPM around 3700rpm but it seemed to jump/drop suggesting it wasn't holding at a set point. I did my best to launch at the desired RPM then immediately put the pedal to 100% throttle position and this got my under 4s.

Reading around/watching some videos, it seems I have to make sure Cobb LC is not enabled. I never installed a Cobb tune nor changed any settings of the tune EQT sent me.

Is there something I am missing or some trick to a consistent launch RPM/procedure with the EQT DSG tune?

This if for the 7spd DSG v1.15 file

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Hey all! I just switched from a Uni Stage 2 tune to the EQT 93 octane Stage 2 + DSG tune on my 2019 Golf R. Absolutely loving it and am finally getting under 4s for 0-60.

However, I am still confused about the best launch control technique. From reading the EQT DSG notes, the tune comes with three launch points: 3500, 3700, 4000rpm. Do I need to set the desired launch point I want using the AP or does pedal position determine the RPM hold point during LC?

I tried two launches earlier. One with the pedal at 100% (not into kickdown switch) and it seemed to launch at 4000rpm but the rear tires slipped briefly (first time ever). On the second launch I tried to hold the RPM around 3700rpm but it seemed to jump/drop suggesting it wasn't holding at a set point. I did my best to launch at the desired RPM then immediately put the pedal to 100% throttle position and this got my under 4s.

Reading around/watching some videos, it seems I have to make sure Cobb LC is not enabled. I never installed a Cobb tune nor changed any settings of the tune EQT sent me.

Is there something I am missing or some trick to a consistent launch RPM/procedure with the EQT DSG tune?

This if for the 7spd DSG v1.15 file
I also have 1.15 file on my 19 and it’s the much older file. Unless they didn’t change the file name itself, 1.15 is the older file for the dq381 for the R. Im not sure the lc is adjustable via the pedal for the 381 yet.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
I also have 1.15 file on my 19 and it’s the much older file. Unless they didn’t change the file name itself, 1.15 is the older file for the dq381 for the R. Im not sure the lc is adjustable via the pedal for the 381 yet.
I just heard back from EQT and the 1.15 is the correct file for the 381.

I have decided to get a custom tune to have the launch RPM set to 3500rpm max throttle

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
And perhaps Vortex staged tunes in development? 👀 View attachment 229227

A custom tune will always be best when you get up to that level, but I'm surprised at the base map for the start of my Vortex custom tune. You always hear people talk about them being conservative at first, but it's pushing 28psi to redline right from the go.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also, for those who aren't on their FB...

FB_IMG_1635611812451.jpg

Looks like their OTS IS38 tunes should be out next week.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
A custom tune will always be best when you get up to that level, but I'm surprised at the base map for the start of my Vortex custom tune. You always hear people talk about them being conservative at first, but it's pushing 28psi to redline right from the go.
You have the standard or xl?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Also, for those who aren't on their FB...

Looks like their OTS IS38 tunes should be out next week.
Dumb question: but if I just purchased a Stage 2 tune for my 2019 Golf R (which has an IS38) does that mean the files I am using are not 100% tuned/ideal for my engine at the moment?