GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
It can change what the ECU sees for "actual" values but it cannot change logged _requested_ values and that would be the issue (particularly torque logged). And there are cases on other platforms, it's not like VW lacks the tools BMW has on the same Bosch/Continental ECUs. End of the day you're still trading the factory safeties of a pretty fast ECU for a device with "safeties" that poll at what, 10Hz?

JB4 can clear active codes but they're always stored in protected NVRAM along with other locked data (immo, VIN, etc.) If you could put the effort into actually overwriting this stuff you really just might as well flash a new calibration (or just go buy an ECU off ebay, remove the immobilizer, and deal with things like logged mileage mismatches when you want to swap back to sell or visit a dealer). And I don't know of anyone who's cracked that area of the SIMOS 18.1x ecu yet anyway.
People go to similar lengths to avoid TD1 flags by only tuning on a standalone but cumulative mileage logged in NVRAM wouldn't match up either. There's really no free lunch when it comes to tuning which is why I'm so negative on JB4, they promise a lot of things that simply aren't true.

The idea of tricking the ECU by intercepting/modifying signals has always bugged me. I can't help but think all it would take is one freak scenario where whether conditions and load is just right and something miscomputes, end up with a severe lean condition and a window in you block.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Just picked up an AP and staged tune with the boost sale!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Boost weather sale is officially live! We've already received a ton of orders... supplies will run out quickly!
If you're in a hurry at all to get your products, make sure to order sooner than later. Happy boosting!

1635790844941.png
1635790863073.png

-- Ed

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I thought 93 was plentiful in FL?
It is, but I do travel at times where 93 isn't always plentiful. Also, I know 93 pushes the car a bit harder. But I don't think its by much. I'll see if they'll swap it out. If not, I'm not really bothered. Stage 2 will be in the next year or two, this I know.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Some clarification if possible:

So I have a 7spd (DQ381) and the DSG tune for it from EQT is a one size fits all for Stage 1/2. My understanding is the 6spd DSG tunes are tailored specifically for Stage 1 or 2. But from reading the release notes, it seems that the difference between 1 and 2 DSG tunes is minimal (just slightly different shift points WOT).

Are separate Stage 1/2 files for the 7spd DSG in the works? Will it make a big/noticeable/measurable (time wise) difference for those of us running Stage 2 ECU tunes?

Follow-up: when I eventually go Stage 3, does that at least have its own Stage 3 DSG tune for the 7spd or still one size fits all?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

So I have a 7spd (DQ381) and the DSG tune for it from EQT is a one size fits all for Stage 1/2. My understanding is the 6spd DSG tunes are tailored specifically for Stage 1 or 2. But from reading the release notes, it seems that the difference between 1 and 2 DSG tunes is minimal (just slightly different shift points WOT).

Are separate Stage 1/2 files for the 7spd DSG in the works? Will it make a big/noticeable/measurable (time wise) difference for those of us running Stage 2 ECU tunes?

Follow-up: when I eventually go Stage 3, does that at least have its own Stage 3 DSG tune for the 7spd or still one size fits all?
The “stage” of the DSG tune are all dependent on the turbo used no matter wether it’s DQ250 or DQ381. Yes, the is38 also has its own DSG tune with optimized shift points.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Not sure I follow on the first part. None of this was an option when I ordered my DSG tune from them, but the order form now indicates stage 1/2/3 shift points are just an option you select (and can be customized by paying extra). Doesn't seem to be tied to transmission at all.

If you really wanted to save money, buy the stage 3 and use the paddle to shift up when you run out of steam. Maybe consider having auto-upshifts disabled to avoid double-shifting.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
For clarification, if you go to the DSG Tune page and select IS38 as the Turbo, it will list Stage 1/2/3 as options to choose for the DSG Tune. However, once they actually send the DSG file, if you have a 7spd DSG the tune file is for both Stage 1 and Stage 2 (it's not tailored for either Stage but instead works on both). An email with EQT confirmed this. Here is the response I got:
"There are no "stages" for 7 speed dsg. Only the 6 speed 2015-2018 R and S3"

Whereas those running the 6spd DSG now have a separate file tuned for WOT throttle points dependent on what stage their ECU Tune is.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Ordered AP with Stage 2 91 time last night…will be a big change from JB4 Map 1 :)
Same here! Pulled the trigger on an AP with Stage 2 91 and DSG tune. I’ve had my JB4 off the car for a bit since getting a recall. Going to be a huge difference once I flash :D