GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi aluminum subframe on Mk7 Gti

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
after some researching and input I've arrived at this list. what you guys think?

-KW clubsport coilovers
-Whiteline front and rear sway bar kit
-Audi Aluminum subframe
-Superpro control arms
-Dogbone Mount - RS3/TTRS Version 2 | RS3 / TTRS (Billet & Polyurethane)
-Tyrol deadset kit
-Whiteline Roll-Center Correction Kit
+all new subframe bolts

there's a Superpro bushings kit which is pretty dam pricey but im not sure if I'll need all that. truth is i don't think i need any of the above but you know how it is...

what are your intended uses? looks like serious overkill for the street.

Reactions: q74

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Nevermind, I think I found it. Apparently both front control arm bolt locations are the same size bolt, front and rear positions-

Control Arm Bolt - N10695901
For anyone several years late to the party like me, this is the correct bolt. Was super confused when the one originally mentioned was way too short.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Stumbled across this cause on a service visit for my faulty turbo i was told my subframe is badly dented, rusted and shifted so much that its making contact with my steering rack. I have decided i want to replace with the aluminum A3/S3 version.. however im very confused as to what i exactly need for a full install on my GTI.. I know the subframe part number but im confused by the various bolts, mounts and bushings required. Also will my stock control arms work with this subframe? Or do i need to purchase after market control arms? was looking at the tyrol deadset kit but is that all i need? i read this entire thread and will read it again just appreciate anyone with knowledge of swapping this out help guide me..

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Stumbled across this cause on a service visit for my faulty turbo i was told my subframe is badly dented, rusted and shifted so much that its making contact with my steering rack. I have decided i want to replace with the aluminum A3/S3 version.. however im very confused as to what i exactly need for a full install on my GTI.. I know the subframe part number but im confused by the various bolts, mounts and bushings required. Also will my stock control arms work with this subframe? Or do i need to purchase after market control arms? was looking at the tyrol deadset kit but is that all i need? i read this entire thread and will read it again just appreciate anyone with knowledge of swapping this out help guide me..
I just bought an S3 subframe from a junkyard, cheap. Advantage is weight and rigidity (supposedly). I planned on a front bar upgrade, so adding the subframe to the project appealed to me. I haven't installed yet so I can't comment on the rigidity.

Do the stamped steel arms work? I believe so as I think some audi models pair them with the subframe. The steel arms in my garage seem to fit.

Part wise, your best bet is to consult this thread's early postings. You can also consult an audi oem part diagram from an online vendor. From this thread I realized the bolts for the control arms are different than those for the steel subframe. Also there are two washers noted in this thread. I was able to get these parts at vwpartsvortex.com, though it took awhile.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
I just bought an S3 subframe from a junkyard, cheap. Advantage is weight and rigidity (supposedly). I planned on a front bar upgrade, so adding the subframe to the project appealed to me. I haven't installed yet so I can't comment on the rigidity.

Do the stamped steel arms work? I believe so as I think some audi models pair them with the subframe. The steel arms in my garage seem to fit.

Part wise, your best bet is to consult this thread's early postings. You can also consult an audi oem part diagram from an online vendor. From this thread I realized the bolts for the control arms are different than those for the steel subframe. Also there are two washers noted in this thread. I was able to get these parts at vwpartsvortex.com, though it took awhile.
I found one on LKQ for pretty cheap.. just worried that it may be damaged from a wrecked car.. how much did u grab yours for?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I found one on LKQ for pretty cheap.. just worried that it may be damaged from a wrecked car.. how much did u grab yours for?
$225 from a local yard. I was able to inspect in person.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW, the part is listed as "cannot be reused/reinstalled" when i go to my local Audi parts website, so i'm guessing that it ain't for heavy use. At the local Audi dealer it's $530.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The bare minimum you need is the longer Audi subframe bolts as well as the washers. 2x WHT006844 + 4x N10785401. Parts 2 and 3 from this diagram:

https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_20...T-SUSPENSION-SUSPENSION-MOUNTING/1312490.html

OE steel arms are fine, as well as the latest revision superpro arms (ALOY00018k). Not sure about whiteline. Verkline should also fit. There are no mounts/bushings required, you can re-use your existing dogbone setup or swap to an aftermarket arm. If you're using a dogbone mount insert, though, you should inspect the lower puck that comes with your subframe so you know if you'll need a different one or not.

I was able to snag mine for $150 out of a wrecked A3 with no damage, just needed some degreaser and a power wash. Good luck!

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Factory control arms work fine, that's my current setup on my R. If you plan to do control arm bushings or a front sway bar, now would be the time to do them.

Adding on to what scrllock said:

Here's a photo of the locating washers: (on pg 6 of this thread)
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ubframe-on-mk7-gti.323906/page-6#post-6715952

My mechanic said the factory engine puck in the subframe is a PITA to install, so if your frame doesn't come with one already in it, you might want to look into an aftermarket puck. I know HPA and revo make them, I'd guess there's more out there as well.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
My mechanic said the factory engine puck in the subframe is a PITA to install, so if your frame doesn't come with one already in it, you might want to look into an aftermarket puck. I know HPA and revo make them, I'd guess there's more out there as well.
Best option I found was the powerflex hybrid puck. It's not too hard to rip out the lower puck and push the hybrid in with the subframe still out of the car.