GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
FYI:

EQT wants to honor all of our fighting men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our country.

28 May - 31 May, we will be running our Memorial Day Sale to remember and honor these brave souls.

We hope you all have a great weekend and stay safe!

1622389878348.png

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
After a lot of lurking in EQT threads I finally pulled the trigger. Could have something to do with 91 octane being $4.60 a gallon and E85 being $2.60, and Ed coming up with a full E85 tune. A sale doesn't hurt either!

I know this sounds like a question that should have been asked before purchase, but is there any concern on a full E85 tune that the LPFP would need to be upgraded? Up until this tune full E85 on our platform meant a lot more fueling upgrades so if it's something that 1 in 10 cars needs because of various things I wouldn't be surprised.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
After a lot of lurking in EQT threads I finally pulled the trigger. Could have something to do with 91 octane being $4.60 a gallon and E85 being $2.60, and Ed coming up with a full E85 tune. A sale doesn't hurt either!

I know this sounds like a question that should have been asked before purchase, but is there any concern on a full E85 tune that the LPFP would need to be upgraded? Up until this tune full E85 on our platform meant a lot more fueling upgrades so if it's something that 1 in 10 cars needs because of various things I wouldn't be surprised.
I just purchased the E85 OTS too for my R and looking forward to testing it out. My buddy is already running this file on his S3 and said his car has never felt better in TX weather. FWIW, his rail pressure looked good in his log though he didn't go WOT the entire run, lol.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
No, their staged e85 tunes are conservative enough to only require an HPFP upgrade. It's possible that you could squeeze more power out of the stock turbo on a custom tune with an upgraded LPFP though.

Anyone know how long their backlog on custom tunes is these days? Last I talked to Ed he seemed pretty swamped doing dyno appointments while Nick handled the e-tuning.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks y'all. I thought I had read up on it enough but I also know that some cars are different than others, and I didn't know how ragged edge a full E85 tune was going to be. Especially considering just a year ago full E85 was a no go without MPI and LPFP. Seems like a free lunch, but I don't think EQT is the company to over promise and under deliver. SUPER excited to get flashed.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
No free lunches, it's probably definitely just an e60 tune with enough room in the fuel trims/boost to manage full e85. Would keep things safer for people with really bad pump ethanol mixes too.

Last edited:

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
EQT has stated that the E85 OTS produces about the same power as the E30 OTS. They are saying the benefits of this option is helping with knock and eliminate need to blend with pump gas. My unsophisticated understanding is some things are dialed back to allow for more E content?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Not seeing this being remotely possible. IS20? Sure. IS38? No way. Maybe if you tapered it like an IS20.
I'm interested in the result of this wizardry. It sure seems too good to be true, I just want to pump a full tank of something and go.

I am going to log/monitor the full E85 tune, should I be looking at more than just rail pressure?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not seeing this being remotely possible. IS20? Sure. IS38? No way. Maybe if you tapered it like an IS20.
Probably just less boost and more timing. Joe and I were discussing a full E85 tune for his future daily. Seems like it would be pretty easy to do. You don't run a MPI E85 fuel targets or boost targets.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
What’s the deets on the new turbo??