GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jack Failure

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Here is a picture of the data sticker on the jack from my UK 2014 GSW, showing a green highlight for the rear jacking points..& here is also a picture of the relevant section from my UK 2014 owners manual highlighted in yellow regarding the usage of the jack. Jacking from the lighter end of the car ALWAYS places less strain on the jack & it is easier to do...as ANY engineer should know...

I have been driving cars in the UK for the past almost 30yrs & its well known that the jacks supplied in any brand of car are just emergency tools for an emergency wheel change..nothing else.

Regardless of this, the fact your 2lt diesel engine car has a very heavy nose, & the jack has a stated max load of 1,100Kgs, & your car has an unladed weight of circa 1,400Kgs should have rung alarm bells with your engineer father......

Don't blame VAG for stuff that fails, especially when you are NOT using it as per its original design purpose. That's your fault & you have had a learning experience. Luckily for you it was not the case of "he'll never be able to do that or anything else again as he's 6ft under"...

View attachment 215664

View attachment 215665

Dave, at what point have I blamed VW for what's happened here, exactly? Forgive me if I am mistaken but is it not every other individual who has posted in this thread who has criticised them for their choice of hardware supplied with the vehicle from new besides me?

I have gotten it wrong in the past and used this to jack my car up from the front but save for that, everything else I have done is as-per your above highlight from the manual. I have only ever used the tool to raise one corner because how else do you lift two, other than positioning the jack in the middle of the car, bending the metal work in the process? Even with an unladen weight of 1400Kg, with three other contact points on level ground, the weight is automatically distributed evenly so more than 1100Kg on the jack at any time shouldn't be possible, unless you are not following the instructions?

In every instance where this has had to be used, that's been the case - I may not be the most experienced person in this thread but do possess the intellectual capacity with a Higher in Physics to know what forces do when they're not placed at 90 degree angles.

I can't speak for why he didn't notice this himself and I'm not going to - he did, however, read the literature again last night (as did I, in the very early hours of this morning) and I'll stand by what I said previously; VW do not state clearly that this an "emergency" tool, only that it's designed to raise a corner of the car when the other three are comfortably sat on a flat, stable surface. IF that is what VW are implying, their choice of words is ambiguous and opens them up to being pressed on cases such as this one - operator error aside. In fact, reviewing the information in the manual again right now, I'd go so far as to say that it's something which has been coined through experience - particularly given the various anecdotes supplied by others who have posted here.

If he's guilty of anything, it's VW's ridiculous notion of jacking the car up at one end to change a spare on the other. I can only imagine the incredulous look I'll see flit across his face as he pictures the implied notion of jacking up his old P48 Range Rover at the back to change the tyre on the front.

The same could be said about the RR Sport he drives now and the 9 or 10 other Land Rovers he's had over the years. In fact, I'll take a look in the manual for the one he has now and see what their current recommendation is. If it's the antithesis of the lunacy VW are suggesting, I think he can also be forgiven because it would be clear where the anomaly is...

I'm sure I'm not alone here in feeling that the car should be supplied with OEM equipment which is fit for purpose and not fit for the bin.

I'm man enough to admit when I've gotten my facts wrong and I'm brave enough to do it in front of a group of faceless egos in a car forum - in my naivety, I have overlooked the sticker on the jack which alludes to only being suited to raising the car from the rear. How one goes about changing a front tyre when it would still clearly be on the ground is beyond me - now that the jack is f*cked, however, a replacement which is capable of lifting both ends of my car (comfortably & safely) will be procured and stored with the rest of the spare wheel kit. I will need this when I return home at the start of the Autumn because I'll have no access to a suitable facility to store a floor jack and need to ensure I can still change a spare should the need ever actually arise.

I should think that what I've just said states, clearly, that I am not blaming anyone else for what's happened here - I'd ask anyone who still feels that's the case to remove themselves from this thread now, that input is neither necessary nor wanted, at this stage. My original question was "has anyone else had the OEM jack with their Golf fail" and the answer to that question is a resounding "YES" so I'll take this information on board and action it appropriately.

I'm not going to aim this next comment directly at anyone, however everything else just seems to have been an opportunity for some to swing their wee dicks around - a bit pathetic, really.

To those of you who have offered sage advice, I thank you and appreciate it. I will be turfing the OEM jack this afternoon on my way past the tip and that will be the end of it. Of course, if someone can recommend something to me that is actually up to the job, which I can shove in a cupboard in my flat when it's not needed, I'd very much appreciate that because god only knows, I don't want to find myself in this particular position, ever again.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
OP, you're in the UK so it's tough to recommend something specific. If you want a service jack, get a proper low profile garage jack and a set of locking jack stands. If you want something sturdier for emergency use on the road, look for a stronger scissor jack like those used for RV's, or a low profile bottle jack with a wide plunger. I also carry a 6" square piece of 3/4" plywood in case I have to jack the car on a grass shoulder.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Welp, this thread can probably be closed before it devolves to talking about shitting on people's chests 😂

Hoon

Autocross Champion
OMFG it just gets better :ROFLMAO:

So in summary...

• OP does something anyone who has worked on cars for more than 5 minutes knows is very dangerous
  • Brags that his engineer dad saw no problem with it
  • Comes into a group of car enthusiasts thinking he's Captain Save a Mechanic
  • Is "Underwhelmed" when he isn't welcomed as the white knight he thinks he is
  • Brags about his 10+ years as an IT professional
  • Tells us we have small dicks, when every one of his posts oozes incel energy
  • Needs time to write yet another closing post...because now he's "won the argument"
I really hope OP is a teenager. If you really are a grown ass man, see a therapist. Your fragile ego is sad, really.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
"
But what was the unladen weight of your car at the time & what was the max load capacity of the cheap scissor jack??..
The jack the OP was using has 1,100kgs max load (stated on jack data sticker) & & the jack sticker states jack from the rear points not the front points...
The OP's car is a GTD its very nose heavy...
5dr GTD = 1407Kgs for manual, 1425Kgs for DSG unladen weight
I've used the OEM VAG "half scissor" type jacks that have come with my previous VAG cars for swapping a wheel, even on my first car I was using it for servicing for the first few months until I got a proper trolley jack, but that car only weighed circa 804Kgs."

Dunno. By 'almost identical' I meant in design and the thickness of the steel used and how much stress, load & use it would likely take before bending / distorting / possibly failing, obv deigned for the odd wheel change & tyre rotate, not really as a pro mechanics tool for regular daily use. It is what it is, I no longer have the time or interest for regular 'car fettling', if I had I'd invest in a better quality jack. Gotta say though, the plastic swivelling grip / roller on the VW jack handle makes raising the car a heck a of a lot easer....

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Dave, at what point have I blamed VW for what's happened here, exactly? Forgive me if I am mistaken but is it not every other individual who has posted in this thread who has criticised them for their choice of hardware supplied with the vehicle from new besides me?

I have gotten it wrong in the past and used this to jack my car up from the front but save for that, everything else I have done is as-per your above highlight from the manual. I have only ever used the tool to raise one corner because how else do you lift two, other than positioning the jack in the middle of the car, bending the metal work in the process? Even with an unladen weight of 1400Kg, with three other contact points on level ground, the weight is automatically distributed evenly so more than 1100Kg on the jack at any time shouldn't be possible, unless you are not following the instructions?

In every instance where this has had to be used, that's been the case - I may not be the most experienced person in this thread but do possess the intellectual capacity with a Higher in Physics to know what forces do when they're not placed at 90 degree angles.

I can't speak for why he didn't notice this himself and I'm not going to - he did, however, read the literature again last night (as did I, in the very early hours of this morning) and I'll stand by what I said previously; VW do not state clearly that this an "emergency" tool, only that it's designed to raise a corner of the car when the other three are comfortably sat on a flat, stable surface. IF that is what VW are implying, their choice of words is ambiguous and opens them up to being pressed on cases such as this one - operator error aside. In fact, reviewing the information in the manual again right now, I'd go so far as to say that it's something which has been coined through experience - particularly given the various anecdotes supplied by others who have posted here.

If he's guilty of anything, it's VW's ridiculous notion of jacking the car up at one end to change a spare on the other. I can only imagine the incredulous look I'll see flit across his face as he pictures the implied notion of jacking up his old P48 Range Rover at the back to change the tyre on the front.

The same could be said about the RR Sport he drives now and the 9 or 10 other Land Rovers he's had over the years. In fact, I'll take a look in the manual for the one he has now and see what their current recommendation is. If it's the antithesis of the lunacy VW are suggesting, I think he can also be forgiven because it would be clear where the anomaly is...

I'm sure I'm not alone here in feeling that the car should be supplied with OEM equipment which is fit for purpose and not fit for the bin.

I'm man enough to admit when I've gotten my facts wrong and I'm brave enough to do it in front of a group of faceless egos in a car forum - in my naivety, I have overlooked the sticker on the jack which alludes to only being suited to raising the car from the rear. How one goes about changing a front tyre when it would still clearly be on the ground is beyond me - now that the jack is f*cked, however, a replacement which is capable of lifting both ends of my car (comfortably & safely) will be procured and stored with the rest of the spare wheel kit. I will need this when I return home at the start of the Autumn because I'll have no access to a suitable facility to store a floor jack and need to ensure I can still change a spare should the need ever actually arise.

I should think that what I've just said states, clearly, that I am not blaming anyone else for what's happened here - I'd ask anyone who still feels that's the case to remove themselves from this thread now, that input is neither necessary nor wanted, at this stage. My original question was "has anyone else had the OEM jack with their Golf fail" and the answer to that question is a resounding "YES" so I'll take this information on board and action it appropriately.

I'm not going to aim this next comment directly at anyone, however everything else just seems to have been an opportunity for some to swing their wee dicks around - a bit pathetic, really.

To those of you who have offered sage advice, I thank you and appreciate it. I will be turfing the OEM jack this afternoon on my way past the tip and that will be the end of it. Of course, if someone can recommend something to me that is actually up to the job, which I can shove in a cupboard in my flat when it's not needed, I'd very much appreciate that because god only knows, I don't want to find myself in this particular position, ever again.

It’s nice that you were happy to attack others, me specifically, for things a different member said, whilst saying you are a man who does not make false assumptions of others.

My questioned your history of using that jack for servicing your car, to which I immediately questioned openly, no assumption made.

I then stated factual information that the only place in your user’s manual that references the jack/tool kit use is for changing a tire. This was not an assumption, as it’s in every English Golf manual, world wide, at least up to and including my US market 2019 GTI. The language of that section was posted by @golfdave above.

I ask again, where did I assume anything?

Now, @golfdave interpret that sticker to say if changing rear (green) use rear point (green). There is no green for both wheels off the green jack point, only black and black for the front. That said, the rest of the points brought forth I agree with.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
@golfdave mine is a 3-door 6-speed manual, making the unladen weight of it 1377Kg and the front axle bearing 1030Kg of that.

1622726896787.png

Weight rating on the jack being 1100Kg - meaning the front end of the car is (well) within tolerance - as we're only allowed to lift one corner at a time:

1622727695802.png

This was particularly interesting:

1622727738660.png

The above coming from the "GTI/GTD/R" section of the manual.

So, looking at the facts above, I have in fact done nothing wrong - other than being less experienced in this particular arena than some of those who have chosen to contribute to the thread. Every time the jack has been used to replace a wheel, it's been done to the above guidelines - it has failed through nothing more than being cheap shite and again (given my Dad's knowledge in the area) no one has ever been underneath the vehicle while this was lifting it up.

That the scissor jack supplied with the car is inferior has since been duly noted. I don't know what VW will do with it when I take it to them next week - they asked me to bring it with me when I called to confirm that I was in fact correct in my use of it (they have confirmed this) and I'll be doing that next week.

So, other than falling foul of a few people who felt the need to throw their weight around when it comes to what they know, I'm failing to see what the issue here is - all I did was ask a perfectly harmless question.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
OP, glad you weren't harmed. I assume the thought process here was if multiple users run into failing scissor jacks, there may be a QC issue. I agree with the folks suggesting that the included jack is sketchy at best.. I've done everything in my power to avoid using it aside from dire emergencies, and it sounds like you're already aware of safety precautions like always (always) using jack stands, jacking on a level surface with the wheels chocked, and of course, never get under any jack/lifting device without stands in place to catch it in the event of failure. I also stick an old wheel under the pinch weld of the car, because I'd so much rather ruin a wheel than be squished by a car.

Glad you're alright, welcome to the forums, and don't feel discouraged from posting further. I've posted things far dumber than this, caught my fair share of flak for it, and moved on -- nobody's going to follow you around constantly bringing up posts/threads you've made before.
I didn't acknowledge this correctly @Nineeightyone - yes, that's right, I was concerned there was a QC issue, the unreliability of the jack in question was brand new information and only down to a lack of experience prior to now...

Appreciate the sentiment, can't say I feel all that warm to it at the moment though - it appears some members are taking what I've said intentionally right out of context at the moment but there's little I can do about that I suppose!

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
OMFG it just gets better :ROFLMAO:

So in summary...

• OP does something anyone who has worked on cars for more than 5 minutes knows is very dangerous
  • Brags that his engineer dad saw no problem with it
  • Comes into a group of car enthusiasts thinking he's Captain Save a Mechanic
  • Is "Underwhelmed" when he isn't welcomed as the white knight he thinks he is
  • Brags about his 10+ years as an IT professional
  • Tells us we have small dicks, when every one of his posts oozes incel energy
  • Needs time to write yet another closing post...because now he's "won the argument"
I really hope OP is a teenager. If you really are a grown ass man, see a therapist. Your fragile ego is sad, really.
Wow someone really woke up and chose violence today. Go back to bed dude 😂

@Lth0ms0n I would close this thread and turn off notifications, you aren’t going to get anywhere with these bricks 😂 For future projects look into a hydraulic jack.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
@golfdave mine is a 3-door 6-speed manual, making the unladen weight of it 1377Kg and the front axle bearing 1030Kg of that.

View attachment 215671

Weight rating on the jack being 1100Kg - meaning the front end of the car is (well) within tolerance - as we're only allowed to lift one corner at a time:

View attachment 215672

This was particularly interesting:

View attachment 215673

The above coming from the "GTI/GTD/R" section of the manual.

So, looking at the facts above, I have in fact done nothing wrong - other than being less experienced in this particular arena than some of those who have chosen to contribute to the thread. Every time the jack has been used to replace a wheel, it's been done to the above guidelines - it has failed through nothing more than being cheap shite and again (given my Dad's knowledge in the area) no one has ever been underneath the vehicle while this was lifting it up.

That the scissor jack supplied with the car is inferior has since been duly noted. I don't know what VW will do with it when I take it to them next week - they asked me to bring it with me when I called to confirm that I was in fact correct in my use of it (they have confirmed this) and I'll be doing that next week.

So, other than falling foul of a few people who felt the need to throw their weight around when it comes to what they know, I'm failing to see what the issue here is - all I did was ask a perfectly harmless question.

As stated above and evidenced by your manual and post, the jacking instructions are for changing a tire only. Nowhere does it say it should be used for servicing the vehicle. Additionally, the manuals I reviewed all say that if you don’t what you are doing, take the car to a dealer for service. You stated that you had little experience in the field and are just learning, alluding to your limited knowledge in the subject.

But yeah man, you sure told us!

Thank you for coming in and informing the lot of us that the shitty jack in the boot of our cars is a dangerous thing, reserved for changing a flat on the side of the road. I’ll file your expierence in the “shit I didn’t need to be told, glad he isn’t dead” bin, as will many others.

Good luck in life, your near loss is our gain? 🤷‍♂️