GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Torque Wrenches

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
At one point I had like 7 torque wrenches ranging in price from 15$ to 180$. The most expensive was a digital one I liked a lot until the screen stopped displaying some lines. There's no difference on a digital tick screen between 40 and 90 when the top middle screen line is permanently missing. The next most expensive was a snap on, which was sweet. Great, easy to use, felt hefty, and after 3 years of regular use just needed a recalibration for an offset of about 3%, which was right in the error range for a clicky wrench that measures up to 200 lbs. It was a rubber grip with a simple to read paper dial and a twist and button press lock. I gave it to my grandfather as a gift when I moved halfway across the country. I now own a similar one made by "eTork" and it has been a beast but at a lower price.

I had a myriad of wrenches that had traditional metal construction with a set wheel at the bottom where the whole handle rotates to set force and then said set wheel tightens to hold in place. I hate these. Don't get these. They lose accuracy the moment you have to torque anything because inevitably your hand will slip. They're only really good for tight spaces because they tend to consume less space and the more expensive ones have more ratcheting teeth in the head. More ratchets means more chance to tighten a bolt in a snug area and more precision on the torque click. I keep one for this reason... It sees 2 uses per year.

I've also had a couple needle gauges! On a budget, there is no better or more reliable wrench than a good needle gauge! Their downside is having to read a gauge while yanking on a bolt at 100lbs +. That's where the clicky or digital beep totally wins.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Just a little update to this thread. I was sold on the Tekton wrench until I went on Summit Racing and saw the same style/design wrench sold across at least 3-5 other brands. Earlier I read somewhere that Tekton was made in the USA and I kinda closed my eyes and believed it because I wanted to, but when I saw the same design being sold across several other brands I couldn’t go through with the purchase. I really try not to buy Chinese/Taiwanese made products if I can avoid it. I ended up going with a Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F. I also grabbed a snazzy 17mm Matco deep socket for the wheels to go with it. I'll post pics once it all comes in. Thanks for the advise!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just a little update to this thread. I was sold on the Tekton wrench until I went on Summit Racing and saw the same style/design wrench sold across at least 3-5 other brands. Earlier I read somewhere that Tekton was made in the USA and I kinda closed my eyes and believed it because I wanted to, but when I saw the same design being sold across several other brands I couldn’t go through with the purchase. I really try not to buy Chinese/Taiwanese made products if I can avoid it. I ended up going with a Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F. I also grabbed a snazzy 17mm Matco deep socket for the wheels to go with it. I'll post pics once it all comes in. Thanks for the advise!

The Tekton looks an awful lot like the EPAuto one I got off Amazon...

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Because I got one with carbon fiber on it instead :D. This was the only protected, thin wall, extended, American made socket I could find. Link for anyone interested. I also really like the fact that it’s extended so I won’t have to use an extension when torquing.

1620905961289.png

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Because I got one with carbon fiber on it instead :D. This was the only protected, thin wall, extended, American made socket I could find. Link for anyone interested. I also really like the fact that it’s extended so I won’t have to use an extension when torquing.

View attachment 213424
That is an incredible amount to pay for a single socket. I'm all for buying domestic products, but stuff like this is the reason so many American companies can't keep up with chinamazon.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
That is an incredible amount to pay for a single socket. I'm all for buying domestic products, but stuff like this is the reason so many American companies can't keep up with chinamazon.

I looked at snap on first... That was even worse! You’re 100% right. I could have bought an entire metric socket set and ratchet on Amazon for $40 lol

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Update: The Matco socket actually isn’t made in the USA. I called and double checked and it’s actually made in Taiwan! I’m very disappointed in Matco especially considering they didn't ease the price at all for a foreign made item. I canceled my order and ordered a Mac Tools 17mm protected socket with some wheel hangers as well. I did confirm that all that is made in the US. Link

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Update: The Matco socket actually isn’t made in the USA. I called and double checked and it’s actually made in Taiwan! I’m very disappointed in Matco especially considering they didn't ease the price at all for a foreign made item. I canceled my order and ordered a Mac Tools 17mm protected socket with some wheel hangers as well. I did confirm that all that is made in the US. Link
But the real question is is it "made in the USA" like my $4k kitchenaid refrigerator or like my 90s craftsman tools?

Every part of the kitchenaid was made outside the USA and then assembled here. There is a neat sticker that says "proudly made in the USA", but I'm not sure if that applies to the sticker itself or not...

20$ says that socket is painted in the USA and the rest of it comes from China. 🤣🇨🇳🇺🇸

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S

PSA for people to check Tekton website if they are concerned about where the wrenches are manufactured. The one I looked up said made in Taiwan.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

I was pretty sure that was going to be the case. Colored and carbon fiber were give-a-ways.

My CDI torque wrench is stamped made in the usa and came with certification of calibration 🤷‍♂️

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
PSA for people to check Tekton website if they are concerned about where the wrenches are manufactured. The one I looked up said made in Taiwan.

Tekton actually has a great policy about that. They publicly admit 70% of their products are from Taiwan, 25% from USA, and the rest is from China. And it clearly says for each product on their website where it’s made. What I hate are sneaky companies like Matco who often market as an “American made” company but then when it’s made foreign they say nothing about it.

I was pretty sure that was going to be the case. Colored and carbon fiber were give-a-ways.

My CDI torque wrench is stamped made in the usa and came with certification of calibration 🤷‍♂️

Yeah. it seems too good to be true it is. Honestly the only thing that made me think it was USA was the fact that it was Matco and the price! 😂 so much for that...

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Well so much for these being made in the USA. Mind you I called Mac Tools directly, gave them these part numbers, and they assured me that they were made in the USA. What a joke.

IMG_6490.jpg

On the other hand my Precision Instruments split beam torque wrench came in a few days ago. Looks fantastic and is ACTUALLY made in the USA!!! Woohoo!

IMG_6481.jpg

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Well so much for these being made in the USA. Mind you I called Mac Tools directly, gave them these part numbers, and they assured me that they were made in the USA. What a joke.

View attachment 214256

On the other hand my Precision Instruments split beam torque wrench came in a few days ago. Looks fantastic and is ACTUALLY made in the USA!!! Woohoo!

View attachment 214258
So much for being made in America. Maybe the made in Taiwan refers to the plastic bag? Lol...