GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to buy? GTI or GLI? That is the question...

2021 GTI S or GLI S?

• GTI is on another level, and I'd pay more for it

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • GLI is a better deal, and can be made just as good

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
It could just be a generational thing. Keyless is pretty new, I got my first GTI in 1984, so........I've been using keys for a long time, so it seems second nature. I can see how some would not want to whip out a key. This is my first car with keyless.

I also find that keyless is a battery drain and I have to keep my lipo on a charger if not using the car for more than a day. Lipo problems...
Lipo?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Battery makes sense. Do you park in a garage and leave the car unlocked? There are parts of the electronics that only go to sleep once you lock the car. Several people have experienced this issue.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Agreed, open windows also tend to be a battery drain if you have interior motion sensors. Our old B5 A4 would kill a regular battery in months since the car was parked indoors with the windows down.

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
I own both a 2018 S and a 2019 Rabbit. The Rabbit has the the keyless and LED's. I can honestly say that on a street car, the only thing that bothered me on the S was not having the LED's and that's an easy aftermarket fix. Keyss is almost an annoyance at times and pushing a button to unlock doors and putting key in the ignition isn't really a big deal to me.

Get the car that feels special to you. If you don't, you'll be looking to get out of the car in a couple of years. I love both our 18 S and 19 Rabbit.

I'm a hatchback guy, always have been. I'd never buy the GLI over the GTI. I'd buy the GLI if the GTI didn't exist. Both fantastic cars, but come on, it's a GTI. It's an icon. Plaid for life. lol
You hit the nail on the head, I think. The GTI just felt more "special." The GLI was very nice, and if it were the only thing available, I'd be completely happy with it, but since the GTI exists, well... I like it more :LOL:

I have requests for quotes out on both of them at the moment, but I'm planning on a GTI, unless a super screaming deal comes along on a GLI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree. I'll never buy a car again without some kind of kessy\keyless ignition. Not having to take anything out of my pockets when getting into my car is a huge quality of life thing for me.
It's very helpful for me too since I'm in and out of my car 30-40 times per day.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You hit the nail on the head, I think. The GTI just felt more "special." The GLI was very nice, and if it were the only thing available, I'd be completely happy with it, but since the GTI exists, well... I like it more :LOL:

I have requests for quotes out on both of them at the moment, but I'm planning on a GTI, unless a super screaming deal comes along on a GLI.
Even with a screaming deal, I think you'll feel like you settled with the GLI. Just get the GTI and be happy. Life is too short to worry about $2000ish.

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
It could just be a generational thing. Keyless is pretty new, I got my first GTI in 1984, so........I've been using keys for a long time, so it seems second nature. I can see how some would not want to whip out a key. This is my first car with keyless.

I also find that keyless is a battery drain and I have to keep my lipo on a charger if not using the car for more than a day. Lipo problems...
I certainly don't mind having a physical key, but I'll admit that keyless is pretty nice. I actually just like the push button to start (having had an S2000), more than the keyless entry...

I just wish that VW had put the key cylinder on the dash with an illuminated ring around it like my old Toyota Tundra had. Easy to see, easy to find.

RollCage

Car(s)
Ford F250
Even with a screaming deal, I think you'll feel like you settled with the GLI. Just get the GTI and be happy. Life is too short to worry about $2000ish.
I think you're right!! I know for sure, that even though they're equal on paper, and even after modifications, that I'd always wonder if the GTI could've been just a little bit better.