GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turboparts Canada turbo thread

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
You're 6 months late. Read old thread if you are lost. Nick has the messages. The turbo is garbage.
I can't post a screenshot of nothing. Post the screen shot were you stated your turbo was failing for the second time, please have it dated to show you brought you your concern BEFORE posting the PSA thread.
You can't, you said you were concerned about your turbo since your friends failed as well, NOT that you were having issues. Unfortunately if your turbo did fail in the end for a second time the way you have acted has burnt your bridges with us, and yes, i know you don't care.
On to the next vendor that you will disparage when things don't go your way

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Here's my side of the story. I bought a TPC20 based off @Navi recommendation. However, I did not know his 1st TPC20 blew. Had I know that I'd would have stayed away, I think. Installed it late June 2020. Dyno'd it. I put down 380whp/382wtq on pump 93 at 28psi. Tuner called the turbo a pig and said he wouldn't recommend it. UM told me they don't like hybrids in general so not much help there. But they did warn me to not push this turbo any further.
View attachment 206579

I drove about 2,000 miles on it. Was planning on upgrading fueling to run e85. On the way to my mechanic, I got the turbo death whine. It blew on the dyno before any fuel mods were done.

Emailed Nick. He offered to replace it for free. But for $500, he'd upgrade me to the TPC38BB. Which I agreed to. Why? He said he was aware of the TPC20 issues and fixed it. And the TPC38BB was brand new and the ball bearing aspect of it truly appealed to me. And for $500, sure. Why not? Asked me to not show any pics of the TPC20 failure on the forums. Which I also agreed to. Told Navi and then he mentioned his first TPC20 blew before I got mine. And that Nick also told him not to say anything. Which then kind of pissed me off. Why did we agree to not say anything? That felt weird.

Got the TPC38BB by end of October 2020. Put it on with additional fueling mods (lpfp, 925cc mpi, fuel line, e85 flex fuel tune) and I put down about 470whp/415wtq on TWO different dynos with about an e60ish blend at 28psi. Nick constantly says there's something wrong with my car. That it should be pushing waaay more. I shared my results on facebook and it created quite a stir! Nick began to post dynos of other TPC38BBs but did not share mods. Later to find out they were all running upgraded 4/5 bar map sensors so not apples to apples by any means. I have also been able to cut an 8.99s 60-130mph on all-seasons during winter.

Facebook thread here for amusement: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasVWMK7golf/permalink/3836064723079413

View attachment 206580

View attachment 206581

UM has warned me not to push this TPC38BB turbo any further as have the two various tuners that did the dynos. Nick says I should add 4/5 bar map sensors and push this thing to 32psi and I should be able to put down the same numbers above on pump 93. I dunno.

Car pulls pretty great on with some e85. However, I do hear faint turbo death whine when turbo is warming up around 8-10 psi. Imagination? I sure as hell hope so. It eventually goes away but my nerves are shot as I forever fear this popping! Only time will tell. Only got about 3,000 miles on it.

That's my story. Thanks.
I am truly bothered by this. I suggest you try a different tuner because there are some serious issues here. Unless they are ramping it in soft because you have a stock motor i cannot explain the poor performance. We have made more whp than this on 94 octane ( no meth) and very conservative timing ( 4 ish degrees). On that same pump gas tune we are seeing 28ish psi by 3800rpm. I cannot explain your poor results but i know this is not indictive of our turbos capabilities.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Who cares about his turbo failing a second time when it hasn't even been addressed to why his (and others) turbos failed a first time?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Some of you want to know why the turbos failed. Both Navis and because motors turbos showed no signs of bearing failure, seal damage or any other telltale signs of failure. We implemented two changes after the failures.
1 We replaced the 9 blade quick spool turbine blade with the 11 blade we are using now
2 We increased our tolerances slightly on the turbine housing , between the housing and the turbine wheel.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Who cares about his turbo failing a second time when it hasn't even been addressed to why his (and others) turbos failed a first time?
why does that matter? Turbos fail. They are a very high stress item. We made 2 changes. My MQB turbo failures have a very low failure rate, unfortunately a very vocal and critical few make it seem otherwise.
No one with a failed turbo has not had their turbos upgraded or rebuilt and since we do this in house those who have had issues have not had to wait months for replacements like other brands have.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Some of you want to know why the turbos failed. Both Navis and because motors turbos showed no signs of bearing failure, seal damage or any other telltale signs of failure. We implemented two changes after the failures.
1 We replaced the 9 blade quick spool turbine blade with the 11 blade we are using now
2 We increased our tolerances slightly on the turbine housing , between the housing and the turbine wheel.

So in other words they just failed for no reason? How would you know what to change if you found “nothing" wrong?

You are Team Navi so anything i post you will disagree with.

It is irrelevant how many turbos have failed (it's a still barely higher than the 3 failures we were at in oct), what matters is how we dealt with those failures. NONE of the people who's turbos failed were not either rebuilt or upgraded. You ask why i am attacking him? I want him to prove his claims, that's all. Show me were he stated he was having a second issue. You can't and he can't because he never did.

Apparently the number is high enough for you not to admit exactly how many have failed ;). It’s actually VERY relevant how many of your turbos have failed. Why would someone willingly buy a product that is known to fail? You could have the best customer service in the world, pay for every thing, compensate me for the cars downtime, and I still would not be interested in purchasing that item.

Also you should have let this topic die. It was silly to bring it back up and if anything you are tarnishing your name further by bringing this up again for the new members or anyone who forgot about it.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Up here is in Virginia Beach, VA.

Now those are the times I was expecting to see. OP was claiming high 10's which is too quick for your setup.
i said the tpc20 is capable of 10's, which it is if an is38 is capable of low 11s.
The 60-130 slip posted on my tpc38 listing on my site is .30 quicker than sportymk7s 7.65. the 7.35 60-130 car ran 10.6. The owner of the car the ran 10.62@132 (with a less than stellar 1.72 60ft) claims he has run 10.51 as well but i do not have proof so i don't advertise it.
Sportys 60ft was a 2.3 on the slip he posted, gtis should be running 1.6s with slicks, and also keep in mind my BB tpc20 has a larger compressor than the old journal bearing ones
thanks

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
why does that matter? Turbos fail. They are a very high stress item. We made 2 changes. My MQB turbo failures have a very low failure rate, unfortunately a very vocal and critical few make it seem otherwise.
No one with a failed turbo has not had their turbos upgraded or rebuilt and since we do this in house those who have had issues have not had to wait months for replacements like other brands have.

You're absolutely correct on the first two points. Turbos fail and are a high stress item. When isolated occurrences happen, nobody bats an eye. Shit happens, and I think everybody understands that. But when several similar stories pop up around the same time, it raises concern.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
So in other words they just failed for no reason? How would you know what to change if you found “nothing" wrong?

Apparently the number is high enough for you not to admit exactly how many have failed ;). It’s actually VERY relevant how many of your turbos have failed. Why would someone willingly buy a product that is known to fail? You could have the best customer service in the world, pay for every thing, compensate me for the cars downtime, and I still would not be interested in purchasing that item.

Also you should have let this topic die. It was silly to bring it back up and if anything you are tarnishing your name further by bringing this up again for the new members or anyone who forgot about it.
What experience do you rebuilding turbos? Not all turbos show evidence of why they have failed.
thanks for your input

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
You're absolutely correct on the first two points. Turbos fail and are a high stress item. When isolated occurrences happen, nobody bats an eye. Shit happens, and I think everybody understands that. But when several similar stories pop up around the same time, it raises concern.
It's an awful coincidence that my first two failures were friends. The amount people focusing on the number of turbos that failed is comical because it is truly a low number. I am not sure why people feel entitled to know the amount.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It's an awful coincidence that my first two failures were friends. The amount people focusing on the number of turbos that failed is comical because it is truly a low number. I am not sure why people feel entitled to know the amount.
Look homie, you've already shot yourself in the foot with this thread. It's done more harm than good. The best thing you can do now is sponsor me and hook it up with a free turbo. That way you guys look good for donating a free turbo to a good home and as an active member on the forum I'll provide accurate and unbiased info on the turbo regularly. If it's as good as you say then this will be a huge win for everyone. Shoot me a PM if interested. Just trying to help. Hombre out

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Look homie, you've already shot yourself in the foot with this thread. It's done more harm than good. The best thing you can do now is sponsor me and hook it up with a free turbo. That way you guys look good for donating a free turbo to a good home and as an active member on the forum I'll provide accurate and unbiased info on the turbo regularly. If it's as good as you say then this will be a huge win for everyone. Shoot me a PM if interested. Just trying to help. Hombre out
thanks for the offer but i'll have to pass.
As for shooting ourselves in the foot, not really the damage was done 6 months ago. Unfortunately people believe what the 1/2 truths that were posted back then and still do. I am just trying to bring to light the lies that are being spread daily on the forums by people with malicious intentions.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
i said the tpc20 is capable of 10's, which it is if an is38 is capable of low 11s.
The 60-130 slip posted on my tpc38 listing on my site is .30 quicker than sportymk7s 7.65. the 7.35 60-130 car ran 10.6. The owner of the car the ran 10.62@132 (with a less than stellar 1.72 60ft) claims he has run 10.51 as well but i do not have proof so i don't advertise it.
Sportys 60ft was a 2.3 on the slip he posted, gtis should be running 1.6s with slicks, and also keep in mind my BB tpc20 has a larger compressor than the old journal bearing ones
thanks

Sporty just posted his quarter mile slip and his time was in the 12's.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
thanks for the offer but i'll have to pass.
As for shooting ourselves in the foot, not really the damage was done 6 months ago. Unfortunately people believe what the 1/2 truths that were posted back then and still do. I am just trying to bring to light the lies that are being spread daily on the forums by people with malicious intentions.

Well you're doing it all wrong.