GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe What's the best brand ?

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
As Jim pointed out, not a very big flex joint which could become an issue because of the size of the dp.
i noticed that. but, if you plan on running stiffer mounts wouldn't that eliminate that being a concern?

DBV2 has a smaller flex section as well. i'll have a quote from them on monday. i enquired about a custom pipe with no reducer , V-bands all the way to the cat section (3 in total) with a vibrant resonator welded into the mid pipe section.

i'm still on the fence with which DP to go with. they all have they're selling points.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i noticed that. but, if you plan on running stiffer mounts wouldn't that eliminate that being a concern?

DBV2 has a smaller flex section as well. i'll have a quote from them on monday. i enquired about a custom pipe with no reducer , V-bands all the way to the cat section (3 in total) with a vibrant resonator welded into the mid pipe section.

i'm still on the fence with which DP to go with. they all have they're selling points.
Even with stiffer motor mounts the DP will still have some torque as the engine moves.
The Trackslag DP will actually droop at the flex section if you pick it up.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Tldr:

Does the flex section make it so you don't have to fuck with the subframe on an awd setup? Install is super easy on the gti, but seems to be problematic for the R.

Last edited:

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
The 4" DP seems like overkill unless you're running a hybrid or big turbo. Do you really need that much flow on an is38? It should lower WG duty cycle maybe and make it easier to hit boost targets (relatively speaking), but how much low-end do you really need?

I was going to go with a 3.5" CTS unit since I don't think I'll run more than an OEM is38. Unless I'm wrong.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Anyone have any knowledge about this lower priced ARM Motorsports Downpipe? Runs in the mid 400 dollar range. Comes available with a 200 cell Hi Flow Cat.

ED42DC9F-1117-4747-99E4-3825378258B9.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The 4" DP seems like overkill unless you're running a hybrid or big turbo. Do you really need that much flow on an is38? It should lower WG duty cycle maybe and make it easier to hit boost targets (relatively speaking), but how much low-end do you really need?

I was going to go with a 3.5" CTS unit since I don't think I'll run more than an OEM is38. Unless I'm wrong.
Your last sentence is telling. It's the unless you're wrong part. I did the same as you and then you get used to the power and want more. I could have saved a lot of money if I would have just gone to where I did in one step instead of several steps. Then who knows you could be happy with stopping with the IS38. I thought I would be until I wasn't. 😂

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Your last sentence is telling. It's the unless you're wrong part. I did the same as you and then you get used to the power and want more. I could have saved a lot of money if I would have just gone to where I did in one step instead of several steps. Then who knows you could be happy with stopping with the IS38. I thought I would be until I wasn't. 😂
yup, me too😩

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Tldr:

Does the flex section make it so you don't have to fuck with the subframe on an awd setup? Install is super easy on the gti, but seems to be problematic for the R.
My friend did the install on Jackstands on his R... got it in without removing or unbolting anything but said it’s a pain and would be nice if it was 2 pieces.

On my GTI with the car high on quick Jack’s takes under 10 min to get this one in and bolted up.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
As El_bigote_AJ pointed out, the bigger open area that is created in that 4 inch 180 turn is what helps the turbo spool faster because it's now able to push out the exhaust gas faster.
I'd bet on the removal of the catalytic converter being the main source of the improved spool.

A short length of slightly larger diameter piping isn't going to significantly affect the overall flow rate compared to the honeycomb structure in the cat.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd bet on the removal of the catalytic converter being the main source of the improved spool.

A short length of slightly larger diameter piping isn't going to significantly affect the overall flow rate compared to the honeycomb structure in the cat.
I'll know next Monday after mine is installed and I am already catless so it will be a fair comparison.