GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe What's the best brand ?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Your last sentence is telling. It's the unless you're wrong part. I did the same as you and then you get used to the power and want more. I could have saved a lot of money if I would have just gone to where I did in one step instead of several steps. Then who knows you could be happy with stopping with the IS38. I thought I would be until I wasn't. 😂

I'm scared this is gonna happen to me when I go IS20 on my Alltrack. Never upgraded a turbo before. Only went stage 1 once across 3 GTIs, and now on the AT.

And now I've got a car that can actually put the power down... So I may rationalize that. But as I've said before - I almost lost my license on a stock power GTI. I'm getting a little hotheaded now with my 211HP/255TQ stage 1 tune.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm scared this is gonna happen to me when I go IS20 on my Alltrack. Never upgraded a turbo before. Only went stage 1 once across 3 GTIs lol. 2 now that I've got it on the Alltrack.
It probably will happen to you because you have great traction with the AWD.

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
Your last sentence is telling. It's the unless you're wrong part. I did the same as you and then you get used to the power and want more. I could have saved a lot of money if I would have just gone to where I did in one step instead of several steps. Then who knows you could be happy with stopping with the IS38. I thought I would be until I wasn't. 😂
That's exactly it. I'm only doing this once and I'm piecing together a custom cat back. Regardless if I go with the mabotech pipe. Or trackslag I'm getting vbands welded to the various sections, and adding a vibrant res to the midpipe. I have a pretty decent performance exhaust shop here that will sort me out. 4in all the way to the back box may be overkill but hey....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's exactly it. I'm only doing this once and I'm piecing together a custom cat back. Regardless if I go with the mabotech pipe. Or trackslag I'm getting vbands welded to the various sections, and adding a vibrant res to the midpipe. I have a pretty decent performance exhaust shop here that will sort me out. 4in all the way to the back box may be overkill but hey....
Post pictures when you're done.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I’m so unnecessarily stressed for you right now lol

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
I’m so unnecessarily stressed for you right now lol
jake! lol. i appreciation the concern. i respect your knowledge. i am gonna do a vibrant res and at least 1 borla muffler. may do dual cans on each exit...

or ou could just build the whole system for me?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
jake! lol. i appreciation the concern. i respect your knowledge. i am gonna do a vibrant res and at least 1 borla muffler. may do dual cans on each exit...

or ou could just build the whole system for me?

I mean, he does do that. Builds & sells downpipes and custom exhausts. Can't advertise here due to not being a forum sponsor, but just google 'Baun Performance'. It'll lead you to his Facebook with pricing.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I'd bet on the removal of the catalytic converter being the main source of the improved spool.

A short length of slightly larger diameter piping isn't going to significantly affect the overall flow rate compared to the honeycomb structure in the cat.

I'd have to run catted, so that's kinda where I'm stuck. Is it worth $1100 to run a larger DP if there's still a cat in the way.

I guess all else equal a DP that reduces from 4" to 3" would flow more than one that reduces from 3.5" to 3". But they're not equal, the cat on the trackslag costs as much as the entire CTS DP so I hope it flows better than the cat CTS uses too.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'd bet on the removal of the catalytic converter being the main source of the improved spool.

A short length of slightly larger diameter piping isn't going to significantly affect the overall flow rate compared to the honeycomb structure in the cat.

It's not the cat. I had a 3 inch catless dp prior to the Trackslag and my turbo wasn't spooling as quick as it is now.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Jim is heading to dyno his soon. Should be visible gains.

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
I mean, he does do that. Builds & sells downpipes and custom exhausts. Can't advertise here due to not being a forum sponsor, but just google 'Baun Performance'. It'll lead you to his Facebook with pricing.
i'm well aware. i've chatted him up a few times over the last year. he needs a golf R for fitment and he's not willing to do a 4in system.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd have to run catted, so that's kinda where I'm stuck. Is it worth $1100 to run a larger DP if there's still a cat in the way.

I guess all else equal a DP that reduces from 4" to 3" would flow more than one that reduces from 3.5" to 3". But they're not equal, the cat on the trackslag costs as much as the entire CTS DP so I hope it flows better than the cat CTS uses too.
The Cat on the Trackslag is an oversized one.

Cosmic Heretic

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
i noticed that. but, if you plan on running stiffer mounts wouldn't that eliminate that being a concern?

DBV2 has a smaller flex section as well. i'll have a quote from them on monday. i enquired about a custom pipe with no reducer , V-bands all the way to the cat section (3 in total) with a vibrant resonator welded into the mid pipe section.

i'm still on the fence with which DP to go with. they all have they're selling points.
I'm talking with DBV2 tomorrow about a downpipe/intake/turbo inlet package. PM me with moe info they gave you especially about details on the vibrant resonator welded into the mid pipe section. Thanks.