GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
apparently GSW 4motion comes with 50MM knuckles, so all GTI/R suspension upgrades don't fit the knuckle (which are 55MM).

Correct. I went with Bilstein B14's for my 50mm GSW knuckles, no complaints. I didn't see the benefit in swapping to 55mm knuckles with the added costs.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
apparently GSW 4motion comes with 50MM knuckles, so all GTI/R suspension upgrades don't fit the knuckle (which are 55MM).
Correct. I went with Bilstein B14's for my 50mm GSW knuckles, no complaints. I didn't see the benefit in swapping to 55mm knuckles with the added costs.
I haven't seen the instructions for installing the BES kit but based on the part list it looks like this mounts between the existing strut mount and the car, at least up front. That would mean it wouldn't affect anything else suspension wise. The Uniwerkdesign website only mentions changing rear dampers if you're going to be carrrying heavy loads in the hatch... Atlas rear shock mounts, and Alltrack rear shocks.

It is correct that Golfs/GSW's are 50mm while GTI/R/Alltrack are 55mm but the shock mounts/bearings are the same. I'm switching to 55mm but it's because I'm retrofitting DCC and those are 55mm dampers. I would have really liked to go CSS knuckles for the camber but a pair of used GTI knuckles was cheaper than a single CSS knuckle. When the CSS first released the knuckles could be found for $150-175 each, iirc. Now I'm seeing them for no less than $375 each.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
My BFI stage 1 dogbone insert will be arriving today...I am guessing using wheel ramps to install may not be the best idea.....

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Got around to installing my Golf R reps from BEC Autoparts... With some questions to Ed, they were a breeze. Good instructions and documentation, fit and finish is good, and best of all, they look great! Much better than my factory halogens.

20210106_180157.jpg20210106_201533.jpg

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
My BFI stage 1 dogbone insert will be arriving today...I am guessing using wheel ramps to install may not be the best idea.....
You can, just might need a pry bar to get things back into place. Upon reinstallation, some tighten the dogbone bolt slightly, start up the car, give a few revs to everything seated and then torque the bolt to spec.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Thanks guys!

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Going to do a full exterior detail soon... Not pictured here is a bottle of Avalon King ceramic coating which is lost in USPS la la land.

View attachment 198806
hopefully it never arrives! get something better like cquartz uk 3, gyeon or gtechnic.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
hopefully it never arrives! get something better like cquartz uk 3, gyeon or gtechnic.
Do you have any personal experience with Avalon King? I've seen it in person and spoken to others who have used it with great results.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Prep work is going to be the much larger factor. A properly prepped car with Turtle Wax will look better than a poorly prepped car with the best sealant.
Agreed, I'm totally prepared to do the work. The car is garage kept and the paint is in pretty good shape to start with so I feel good about taking it on as a novice.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Agreed, I'm totally prepared to do the work. The car is garage kept and the paint is in pretty good shape to start with so I feel good about taking it on as a novice.
I don't see clay or an iron remover? Both are very helpful even on "new" paint. I also like to do an alcohol spray down before applying the sealant, just to make sure everything is clean, you can do an extra wash, but IPA is the best insurance.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I don't see clay or an iron remover? Both are very helpful even on "new" paint. I also like to do an alcohol spray down before applying the sealant, just to make sure everything is clean, you can do an extra wash, but IPA is the best insurance.
Already have iron X in the garage and there's a synthetic clay in between the pad cleaner and the wash mits. I'll use CarPro eraser as a wipe down solution before I apply the sealant.