GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is seriously gonna buy a MK8 R?

wide

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk8 R and Mk7.5 GTI
I'm waiting for the MK8.5 facelift.....which will have real buttons on the dash and steering wheel....:) (I hope)
Keeping my eye on the the new Civic R which is suppose to have new styling so an adult can actually drive/buy one.
Honda already learnd their lesson with touch controls.
Wait 3 years for a facelift ?!, that seems boring for a Golf. :) Then so much better than the Golf is out! ;)..Buy now, think in 3 years a heavy Hybrid R is coming :(

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Not me. Haptic feedback / all digital cockpit killed it for me. I watched a full 30 min review of the car on YouTube yesterday, and although impressive, there just isn't enough to sway me away from my MK7.5. I like the boxier style of the MK7s, especially from the rear 3/4 view. Lowered look even better.

For what they will probably ask, my money would go to an S3 first. I'm guessing they are going to be very close in price, and other markets are stating that the MK8R will actually be a tad more expensive. Audi has been trying to keep VW out off it's heals for awhile now in terms of performance vs. cost. It's the reason they didn't give up the 5 cyl turbo for the new VWs. But if the VW ends up being more expensive, Audi might not actually care anymore as they will prob sell more cars.

Either way, I can't think of another car on the market I "really want" right now. If the RS3 hatchback was available in the states, you better believe I'd have one.

For reference:

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Not me. Haptic feedback / all digital cockpit killed it for me. I watched a full 30 min review of the car on YouTube yesterday, and although impressive, there just isn't enough to sway me away from my MK7.5. I like the boxier style of the MK7s, especially from the rear 3/4 view. Lowered look even better.

For what they will probably ask, my money would go to an S3 first. I'm guessing they are going to be very close in price, and other markets are stating that the MK8R will actually be a tad more expensive. Audi has been trying to keep VW out off it's heals for awhile now in terms of performance vs. cost. It's the reason they didn't give up the 5 cyl turbo for the new VWs. But if the VW ends up being more expensive, Audi might not actually care anymore as they will prob sell more cars.

Either way, I can't think of another car on the market I "really want" right now. If the RS3 hatchback was available in the states, you better believe I'd have one.

For reference:
I think the s3 might end up a bit cheaper. And if the dealer wants more over msrp, the s3 will be the better choice, financially.

I wonder if the 2022 s3 will have the new haldex and rear end though

wide

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk8 R and Mk7.5 GTI

For reference:

But it is like when the first Iphone was realesed ;)...Read this from one of the best Channels :)... But agree don´t like all the touch, but the car is awesome in full review..
automann.JPG

wide

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk8 R and Mk7.5 GTI
I think the s3 might end up a bit cheaper. And if the dealer wants more over msrp, the s3 will be the better choice, financially.

The S3 in Europe is the same prize or little cheaper :), but when you compare you realise that the S3 is a "cheap spec R". You have realy bad brakes and 4wd on the S3, and that is expensive parts.. :). Think Audi is waiting to put all good stuff on the Very Expensive RS3 that is around the corner ;)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The S3 in Europe is the same prize or little cheaper :), but when you compare you realise that the S3 is a "cheap spec R". You have realy bad brakes and 4wd on the S3, and that is expensive parts.. :). Think Audi is waiting to put all good stuff on the Very Expensive RS3 that is around the corner ;)
Gotcha. Thanks

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
I agree that the touch/sliders will be annoying at first...and will take some getting used to, but this is going to be an awesome machine. It will be phenomenal. Everyone knows that now.

my biggest gripe is the lack of colors, but I don’t care...as my money is down. Can’t wait for VW to call me back and confirm options.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

I can't see why it wouldn't just from an economies of scale standpoint.