GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oil sample came back fine. I will be changing oil and filter tomorrow As a precaution.

Not Sure if I have an underlying issue. Or whether it’s just a fact of life when adding a 80hp tune.
With 72F ambients I thought the CSF radiator and new AMS IC would have handled temps better. I was down a few mph at the end of the straights but that could easily be me working my way back into the groove and being a little conservative in the brake zones.

With the car no longer understeering Im likely on the throttle a lot more, harder and sooner.
I sent an oil sample off yesterday as well...interested to see what it comes back like.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The heat issues are mega frustrating, it's definitely keeping me from doing any tracking and going all-in on autox.

The only reference we have for what definitely works for these cars on track are the TCR race cars, which make much less HP than some of the people around here and have dedicated ducting for the radiator and intercooler. Even with the relatively low power level it takes a ton to keep these cool.

Its one of the reasons I only run in the spring and fall. I went conservative with the tune and then added extra cooling and an IC. Not sure I will have time to get my VWR oil cooler installed tomorrow and completed before Thursday.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Great meeting you guys last weekend. I learned a lot from a lot of people there, especially Mini7 and tigeo.
I loved the SportWagon - really cool car.
Hey wait...who is this?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Its one of the reasons I only run in the spring and fall. I went conservative with the tune and then added extra cooling and an IC. Not sure I will have time to get my VWR oil cooler installed tomorrow and completed before Thursday.

Unfortunately even with my oil pushing 255 on a hot day, my water is still crossing past 225 when on throttle. The louvres helped tremendously, but only for a day before I got used to it and got faster :(.

I really think this car needs a massive oil cooler, ac condenser removed, bigger louvres, and then everything taped off to only allow front bumper to flow through cooling stack. A custom tune on is38 to push less hp and WAY less torque would also help keep heat down.

Since this is now my permanent dd, and I work from home - _-, I think I'll just throw some A7s on it and call it an autox DSP car... In autox setting with the way its setup right now, it shouldn't have too many heat issues

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Yea, even after the CSF install this year on the R (Main + Aux), I find that my water/oil temps are higher than I'd like by the end of the session. Still an improvement, but still get high enough for me to be uncomfortable.

I think for me the next step I'm going to try is some sort of hood venting.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just turn off the oil temp display. Ignorance is bliss......

The red warning page for over temp comes up automatically at 280F coolant temp 🥺 ask my poor Gti how I know.

This is why I’ve got this idea waiting to turn into reality, hopefully this winter so I can have a real cooling solution for 2021.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-mk7-cooling-solution.371514/

Just cliff notes on core size:

-OEM RAD 1.2”

-CSF RAD 1.6”

-RAD/oil cooler thickness 3”

(This occupies the space of both the OEM radiator and IC, so a true FMIC is required).

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
The red warning page for over temp comes up automatically at 280F coolant temp 🥺 ask my poor Gti how I know.

This is why I’ve got this idea waiting to turn into reality, hopefully this winter so I can have a real cooling solution for 2021.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-mk7-cooling-solution.371514/

I didn’t realize that about the warning. I’ve never triggered it on my R, even in 90+ weather at Road Atlanta and AMP.
That looks like an ambitious cooling project. I’d want to see what the actual radiator outlet temps are before doing all of that. You might find that you are indeed limited by flow rate, as someone suggested.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yea, even after the CSF install this year on the R (Main + Aux), I find that my water/oil temps are higher than I'd like by the end of the session. Still an improvement, but still get high enough for me to be uncomfortable.

I think for me the next step I'm going to try is some sort of hood venting.

Proper louvres are a massive help!

How'd you get it to 280?? Oil sure, but the moment my water is past 230 there's so much timing being pulled I'm 30 mph slower down the main straight. Do you have the factory safeties tuned out?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I didn’t realize that about the warning. I’ve never triggered it on my R, even in 90+ weather at Road Atlanta and AMP.
That looks like an ambitious cooling project. I’d want to see what the actual radiator outlet temps are before doing all of that. You might find that you are indeed limited by flow rate, as someone suggested.

Everything else in the system would be identical except for core volume, so with it being a triple pass core the only difference would be total system capacity and time spent in the core.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Proper louvres are a massive help!

How'd you get it to 280?? Oil sure, but the moment my water is past 230 there's so much timing being pulled I'm 30 mph slower down the main straight. Do you have the factory safeties tuned out?

Timing gets pulled from excessive IAT, which isn’t an issue on my car regardless of coolant temp.

I’m not aware of any safety regarding coolant temperature, my car had APR stage 2 at the time and it’s APR is38 now.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Everything else in the system would be identical except for core volume, so with it being a triple pass core the only difference would be total system capacity and time spent in the core.
I wouldn't be as concerned about cooling capacity as all that weight moving further forward in a front heavy car, and especially in front of the crashbeam where an off track incident will leave you towing it home early.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Timing gets pulled from excessive IAT, which isn’t an issue on my car regardless of coolant temp.

I’m not aware of any safety regarding coolant temperature, my car had APR stage 2 at the time and it’s APR is38 now.
Maybe apr tuned out some of it then? I know my uni stage 2 it falls off after 3 to 4 laps and iat are fine, just coolant at 230s and oil in the 265+ range. The moment I let off the throttle there's enough air evac to drop temps to normal almost instantly.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't be as concerned about cooling capacity as all that weight moving further forward in a front heavy car, and especially in front of the crashbeam where an off track incident will leave you towing it home early.

Ok, so you’ve got absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Got it, thanks for stopping by.

It’s a Gti, you think 20lbs is going to make me lose control. Go take your google PHD somewhere else. By that logic guys who remove their spare tire and jack from the hatch would crash too.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Maybe apr tuned out some of it then? I know my uni stage 2 it falls off after 3 to 4 laps and iat are fine, just coolant at 230s and oil in the 265+ range. The moment I let off the throttle there's enough air evac to drop temps to normal almost instantly.

Here’s the detailed recap from that day if you’re interested.

Losing 30mph off the back straight means you’re down at least 100whp which is definitely a concern. My car was consistent in Mph throughout all three sessions outside of pedaling to drop temperatures, which just like your car plummeted as soon at I was coasting or backed way off.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/gti-jake’s-first-track-day.364450/