GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Packing my GTi for the track. So I decided to dump my spare wheel and discovered a boatload of storage space in the wheel well for loose items. It made the cabin a little roomier and I didn’t feel like something was about to hit me in the head.
896F1FE5-88F0-4676-90C6-B3C9298F1751.jpeg
8BF0B83E-4EA5-429E-8678-342547199689.jpeg
5B502409-E3F7-45F8-AF8F-49A1971FEEAA.jpeg
2F020977-15FE-46E1-8AC5-C4C3E3C1F011.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I never have the spare in for events... Already got 4 other tires in the car in case of emergency, lol. Like you, that's where I keep all the loose bits that can fit into it. I also take a 10x10 canopy and two chairs which means I can't cleanly stack wheels like you. I figured out to put one wheel in the spare area rim facing up, then stuff it with smaller stuff. It's a fun game of clown car tetris that makes for a lot of stop and stare when unloading it!! The worst is finding room for 20 gals of fuel, because if it tips, the smell lasts a while.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
First time on a track at VIR this past weekend with the PCC Audi Club HDPE. Wow...fun! The wagon queen family truckster did surprisingly well sans cooking my brakes on day 1 (EBD Redstuff pads with Stoptech Sport slotted rotors w/23K on them). NGP got me sorted with some Yellowstuff f. pads and some new rotors I sourced at Advance Auto in Danville as well as a fresh bleed with Motul RBF600 (had that in already but why not). Much better braking after that.

_23A3806.JPG
_23A3728.jpg
IMG_20201110_142142_806.jpg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
First time on a track at VIR this past weekend with the PCC Audi Club HDPE. Wow...fun! The wagon queen family truckster did surprisingly well sans cooking my brakes on day 1 (EBD Redstuff pads with Stoptech Sport slotted rotors w/23K on them). NGP got me sorted with some Yellowstuff f. pads and some new rotors I sourced at Advance Auto in Danville as well as a fresh bleed with Motul RBF600 (had that in already but why not). Much better braking after that.

View attachment 192493View attachment 192502View attachment 192503
Glad you had a great time. VIR will expose brakes in a heartbeat. What oil temps were you running with a tuned IS38?

Mine got to 275F on a low torque APR Stg1 on an IS20. Frustrating to say the least

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Glad you had a great time. VIR will expose brakes in a heartbeat. What oil temps were you running with a tuned IS38?

Mine got to 275F on a low torque APR Stg1 on an IS20. Frustrating to say the least
TBH no idea. I don't think the 1.8 runs as hot. I've never seen mine get
above 226 hooning around. I was so focused on the track and my instructor. I just drove. Which group are you in? I believe I saw you...a white GTI parked in the paddock near where you come in? The 38 was great on the long straight..I hit 130 but that was more than my brakes were up for so I kept dialed back and had more fun as I wasn't worrying as much. I also came off at turn 13(?) In the Rollercoaster section...uh oh. Just drove straight and came to rest on the curb on the track below. No damage...just some grass on the bottom 🤣

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So the stiffer rear springs and shock revalve worked out. I’m happy with the way the car is handling. It has transitioned from understeer to slight oversteer. I’ve backed off going up the esses until I get used to the new handling dynamics. I’ve picked up time going down roller coaster onto the front straight.

Long story short I equaled my previous best in the first session on the first day. So happy about that. It has been a year since I was last on track. It is easier to extract speed from the car. Despite cool conditions, I got to 275F oil temps and 233F water within 15-mins. I had to back off to let things cool down and didn’t improve my time any.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The Uphill Esses

Photos courtesy of of a Cayman I passed. Apparently my inside rear was lifting off the ground on a regular basis.
54D8F7BB-7DDF-47A0-93D2-9EDBF40A1EA7.jpeg
AB6C4F03-8384-4C3E-89D6-0B12223C832B.jpeg
E7FB3A08-693C-48CC-BE8F-822DD9E7F85D.png
9B8070C8-C4B2-4DA9-8CF7-222B4C798578.png
E3EB4A08-8A0F-4247-B306-B437B9EACC6E.jpeg
951CF533-5FF5-4717-BF95-803E75AB6642.png

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

View attachment 192493View attachment 192502View attachment 192503
These are my brakes after 4 sessions. Luckily I brought extra cobalt xr2 track pads that worked awesome

Attachments

• 20201105_194810.jpg
    20201105_194810.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20201105_194806.jpg
    20201105_194806.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

I got to 268 degrees on my laggy gtx3076 turned wayy down.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Oil sample came back fine. I will be changing oil and filter tomorrow As a precaution.

Not Sure if I have an underlying issue. Or whether it’s just a fact of life when adding a 80hp tune.
With 72F ambients I thought the CSF radiator and new AMS IC would have handled temps better. I was down a few mph at the end of the straights but that could easily be me working my way back into the groove and being a little conservative in the brake zones.

With the car no longer understeering Im likely on the throttle a lot more, harder and sooner.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Great meeting you guys last weekend. I learned a lot from a lot of people there, especially Mini7 and tigeo.
I loved the SportWagon - really cool car.

You‘re welcome! It was good to see all the GTi’s.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
TBH no idea. I don't think the 1.8 runs as hot. I've never seen mine get
above 226 hooning around. I was so focused on the track and my instructor. I just drove. Which group are you in? I believe I saw you...a white GTI parked in the paddock near where you come in? The 38 was great on the long straight..I hit 130 but that was more than my brakes were up for so I kept dialed back and had more fun as I wasn't worrying as much. I also came off at turn 13(?) In the Rollercoaster section...uh oh. Just drove straight and came to rest on the curb on the track below. No damage...just some grass on the bottom 🤣

Smart to listen to your instructor. I ran in Blue. I was in one of the pit garages with a couple buddies.

The back straight is fast and coming into 13-14 can get tricky if you come in hot. It’s one of my favorite sections and I generally catch faster cars going down the hill.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Oil sample came back fine. I will be changing oil and filter tomorrow As a precaution.

Not Sure if I have an underlying issue. Or whether it’s just a fact of life when adding a 80hp tune.
With 72F ambients I thought the CSF radiator and new AMS IC would have handled temps better. I was down a few mph at the end of the straights but that could easily be me working my way back into the groove and being a little conservative in the brake zones.

With the car no longer understeering Im likely on the throttle a lot more, harder and sooner.
The heat issues are mega frustrating, it's definitely keeping me from doing any tracking and going all-in on autox.

The only reference we have for what definitely works for these cars on track are the TCR race cars, which make much less HP than some of the people around here and have dedicated ducting for the radiator and intercooler. Even with the relatively low power level it takes a ton to keep these cool.