GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ultimate Mk7 cooling solution!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m working on turning an idea into reality here and will update this thread regularly.

I will NOT be building nor selling these, just simply putting the tools needed into another shops hands to create a solution for our platform and nip the cooling issues suffered from track abuse in the butt.

THE IDEA:

To replace both the factory Radiator and Intercooler with one large radiator that occupies the entire space previously taken up by the two factory parts.

The AC condenser would still mount in the same location, simply clipped into the new larger radiator as it would’ve on the original IC.

Ive started another thread already to source an OEM Rad and IC to send to this shop so they can accurately fixture and duplicate mounting locations.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Stupid question. If the larger radiator takes the place of the intercooler and radiator, where does the intercooler go?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Jake’s front mount IC.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Cool idea in theory, but I think you'd also need to run an external water pump that can push more liquid through the system.

I don't have a mk7 so I'm not interested but love racing and seeing stuff like this. Sub'd...interestedto see the results

Its a pressurized system and will be have the same factory everything aside from the heat exchanger itself, so I don’t see that as being an issue.

As far as the pumps concerned nothing is changing except for the fluid will spend less time in the engine and more time in the radiator due to their being more “ground to cover” if you will inside the radiator itself.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Technically others could be used too, as long as it’s a true FMIC and not the via las China bi cooler junk

You know that when you say the product I chose to install on my car is junk it's an invitation to argue the point.

eBay Bicooler $290
Baun FMIC $750

For a 150% cost increase with the Baun FMIC what performance difference does a buyer receive?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
You know that when you say the product I chose to install on my car is junk it's an invitation to argue the point.

eBay Bicooler $290
Baun FMIC $750

For a 150% cost increase with the Baun FMIC what performance difference does a buyer receive?
It definitely wasn't an invitation. There are plenty of intercooler threads for you to go have this argument in; please don't derail this one.

Let the useful part of the comment stand, that this idea will work with any FMIC that bypasses the factory unit, but won't work with a bi-cooler and move on.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

eBay Bicooler $290
Baun FMIC $750

-My product fits absolutely perfect, eBay requires stacking couplers (explain that to your significant other 600 miles from home when you blow a charge pipe).

-The materials alone cost significantly more than retail on the entire kit from eBay, so obviously the price reflects that.

-Charge pipes built properly in America from aerospace grade materials require significantly more skilled labor than silicon hoses from China

I can keep going, but you’re literally comparing apples to oranges.

Another engineer reached out to me and asked about flow bench data. Since I had none he bought my FMIC and it’s tracking ETA is actually today, so if you’d like I have help you guys exchange information as he'll be testing it extensively both on a flowbench at his workplace & in the real world on his 2019 GTI.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
-My product fits absolutely perfect, eBay requires stacking couplers (explain that to your significant other 600 miles from home when you blow a charge pipe).

-The materials alone cost significantly more than retail on the entire kit from eBay, so obviously the price reflects that.

-Charge pipes built properly in America from aerospace grade materials require significantly more skilled labor than silicon hoses from China

I can keep going, but you’re literally comparing apples to oranges.

Another engineer reached out to me and asked about flow bench data. Since I had none he bought my FMIC and it’s tracking ETA is actually today, so if you’d like I have help you guys exchange information as he'll be testing it extensively both on a flowbench at his workplace & in the real world on his 2019 GTI.

1000x this. It's an absolute complete kit with no guess work AND has been proven on the track.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Back on topic to the radiator, but since we just touched on price I will say that this unit will not be cheap. Race quality parts never are, but if you can’t afford quality parts you’re also probably not in a position to track abuse your car.

A little information on the shop I contacted to build these.

-located in NE Ohio

-10+ years of fabrication and machine shop services specifically in the racing industry.

-In house CNC

-I worked with him on a previous prototyping project 2006-2007 which exceeded my expectations. That project was race radiators adding 52% capacity to my 2006 YZ250F. The R&D from that went into him building radiators for Factory KTM as well as others.