GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pure White Weekend Warrior

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
4600 for parts, 2000 for labor, 700 for paint, 1100 for paint labor, 190 for frame labor. Most expensive parts were the $1320 headlight assembly and $710 rear quarter. Pretty rough... I'd like to have them match the rest of the car, but this is a tough pill to swallow.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
4600 for parts, 2000 for labor, 700 for paint, 1100 for paint labor, 190 for frame labor. Most expensive parts were the $1320 headlight assembly and $710 rear quarter. Pretty rough... I'd like to have them match the rest of the car, but this is a tough pill to swallow.
Might be a moot point, but that headlight assembly can be found for ~8-900 if you ask the right dealer. $1320 is what VW quotes as MSRP but lots of places sell for less. If they're using all VW part prices then I'm not surprised it'll be that much. If they're willing to work with you (and you with them) I'm sure you could bring down that part cost a good bit.

For reference, here's that headlight assembly for $966. $350 savings and from a VW dealer. https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/pro...y-Headlight-Assembly/11534163/5GM941753A.html

Edit: If Hella makes the OEM part, then you can get a Hella replacement from Rockauto for $514. Hell, you could buy left AND right for under what VW quotes for just one. I'd definitely talk to the shop, if you can supply any of these parts that a huge savings. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,body+&+lamp+assembly,headlamp+assembly,10762

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I am of the opinion that once a car is in big wreck it is just never the same after. Fit and finish will never meet OEM quality. If you are thinking of selling, I would honestly repair with cheaper parts, sell some of your mods (which could recuperate a few grand), and sell the thing to CarMax or Carvana.

If you’re craving a GTI again, start fresh. For the Golf R, I think you will almost certainly get more value out of paying for repair yourself. Dealerships never offer good money.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
@bfury5 @Will_ Thanks guys. Appreciate you talking some sense into me. Gonna work w the shop to try to acquire some less expensive parts. Will see whether there is frame or mechanical damage before deciding whether to sell or hold on to it. Keep you guys posted.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Received the Spulen spacers (15mm front, 20mm rear) over the weekend. Will be using these to mount my winter setup (OEM Austins) over the APR BBK (once I have the car back).

Btw, Mike's in Malden will be starting work on the GTI today. Hopefully no surprises.

PXL_20201026_151420636.jpg

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Day did not end well for me... Too much lift off oversteer on turn 8 during one of my time attack laps and ended up in the wall. Good news is, no fluid leaks or CEL, car will need new front and rear bumpers, quarter panels and a headlight, but hoping there is no major mechanical damage. Made it home under my own power but stuck to the back roads. Will know soon what we're looking at for cost. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Holy shit dude!!! I'm so sorry!!!!!!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
It might be pricey at mike's but it's 100% worth it they are such good people who are great at what they do!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
But I also agree you should get cheaper than sticker parts since you are paying. They will help with this no doubt

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Still waiting to get the GTI back. Spoke with the Autobody shop yesterday and they told me it should be ready to go mid next week!

In the meantime, I took a nice top down drive in the Miata last night. Not sure how many nice days we have left around here so taking full advantage
Those pics make a really compelling argument for a Miata in the garage

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
you have a great attitude about this. In for repair pics.
Thanks for saying that. It's been really tough to stay patient and positive through all this. I really wanted to make sure the repairs were done properly. I'm having the body work done by a very reputable local shop (Mike's of Malden) who is working with UCC to have new panels ceramic coated to match once paint is applied.

Excited to finally have the car back next week! It will basically have a brand new paint job (may opt for some PPF as well if they can squeeze me in for an appointment).

Edit: Will definitely have some pics to share soon!!

Last edited: