GOLFMKV

Pure White Weekend Warrior

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Miata

half the money, twice as good
Funny you should mention that... I just had an offer accepted on a used Club ND (with Brembo, BBS, Recaro pckg). It is bone stock aside from a roll bar, updated infotainment system (android auto), and axle back exhaust (i.e. muffler). If all goes well, I will be picking it up next weekend and have it back in Boston before the end of the month. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Funny you should mention that... I just had an offer accepted on a used Club ND (with Brembo, BBS, Recaro pckg). It is bone stock aside from a roll bar, updated infotainment system (android auto), and axle back exhaust (i.e. muffler). If all goes well, I will be picking it up next weekend and have it back in Boston before the end of the month. Stay tuned.
Miata + GTI combo is the ultimate "save the manual" fun car garage. Pretty much covers all the basics. Would the GTI stick around for daily?

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Miata + GTI combo is the ultimate "save the manual" fun car garage. Pretty much covers all the basics. Would the GTI stick around for daily?
Absolutely planning to keep the GTI ; ) VWs are in my blood. Will probably change a few things though (RSB, engine/trans mounts, shifter bracket, come to mind).

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion

You move quickly!!!
Looks great and sounds a solid plan overall (GTI + Miata).

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
You move quickly!!!
Looks great and sounds a solid plan overall (GTI + Miata).
Yeah, the other option was to buy a rebuilt title Lotus Elise and use it as a dedicated track car, but the Miata I think will be just as fun at the track and more versatile as a weekend driver.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yeah, the other option was to buy a rebuilt title Lotus Elise and use it as a dedicated track car, but the Miata I think will be just as fun at the track and more versatile as a weekend driver.
Good choice!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Today is the day. Hopping a flight to Denver to pick up the ND (also dropping the GTI at Mike's of Malden to be repaired). Road tripping the Miata back this weekend with my brother. Weather looking nice so should be able to cruise with the top down most of the way home. Will post pics.

Have also had a chance to think about best next direction with the GTI. Thinking I will add a FSB and eventually do a set of coilovers and the baffled oil pan. This car is way too much fun not to track occasionally. I also bought a tow hook plate mount since the bumper is being replaced. Figured I might as well use the opportunity to clean up the front end. Anything else I should think about while I have it in the shop?

More to come soon! Thanks all.

Edit: In hindsight, I should have kept the GTI at stock power and gotten the suspension dialed in first. (Expensive) lesson learned.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Sounds like a fun trip. I learned from buying my GTI this summer that MA doesn’t make it easy to buy a car out of state. Hope all goes well with the GTI repairs.

Headed to Palmer on Monday. As it’s my first track day, I’ll give a wide berth to any and all structures :).

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Sounds like a fun trip. I learned from buying my GTI this summer that MA doesn’t make it easy to buy a car out of state. Hope all goes well with the GTI repairs.

Headed to Palmer on Monday. As it’s my first track day, I’ll give a wide berth to any and all structures :).
Wish I was able to make it on Monday. Elivan is allowing me to use the entry fee toward a 3 day pack for next season. Have fun! It's an awesome track. Just work on getting the line down and speed will come later. Let us know how it goes with the car!!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Edit: In hindsight, I should have kept the GTI at stock power and gotten the suspension dialed in first. (Expensive) lesson learned.
Hopefully autox schedules will normalize next year. If they do, you'd be welcome to get a run or two in my car. Still stock power, only suspension.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Hopefully autox schedules will normalize next year. If they do, you'd be welcome to get a run or two in my car. Still stock power, only suspension.
Fingers crossed COVID is in rearview mirror by mid next year. Appreciate the offer and look forward to getting out there soon!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Posting as we drive through PA. 1500 miles down, 500 to go. Really fun trip so far. We had gorgeous weather day one and lots of time cruising with the top down at 80 mph.

Had someone comment on the car during our very first stop for gas wondering "how much horsepower" and quarter mile time. Lol.

The car is a blast to drive and the Recaros have been plenty comfortable through 20 hours (so far) of driving. Looking forward to getting her cleaned up once I'm back home. Here are a couple snaps from the road in the meantime.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I'm also thinking about trading in the GTI (in its current state) toward a Golf R. The 9k repair bill I was quoted is a bit daunting and figure, it may be worth trading in to dealership so that they can make the repairs at cost. What do you all think?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm also thinking about trading in the GTI (in its current state) toward a Golf R. The 9k repair bill I was quoted is a bit daunting and figure, it may be worth trading in to dealership so that they can make the repairs at cost. What do you all think?
You'll take a pretty big hit trading it in like that. The dealer will likely just send it straight to an auction.

What was the 9k estimate for? If you wanted to, you could source front/rear end parts yourself and get them painted at a later date (if you want them blended it'll be more, but a standalone bumper spray shouldn't be *too* bad).