GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone add a quart of thicker oil before track day?

rexneffect

Ready to race!
If so, explain...
:)

If Mid-dipstick level, I'd add half quart of 10w40.

Anyone go thicker on mixing or even full-fill?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No. I’ve never done that.

I’ve seen track rats pass around straight 50 weight oil bottles in between laps.

I just take an extra qt with me and check oil every two or three laps. But I use the same weight that’s in the engine.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
My car drank 1.5qt in about 45min across 3 sessions recently. Especially if things are already warm, probably nothing wrong w some 50 weight to top things off?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My car drank 1.5qt in about 45min across 3 sessions recently. Especially if things are already warm, probably nothing wrong w some 50 weight to top things off?
Damn really? Is this common with all gti’s?

I haven’t tracked mine yet

rexneffect

Ready to race!
Mine's an R, but yes. It's a pcv system not designed for this - it's not really blowby. Catch can for track days. And check oil often

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mine's an R, but yes. It's a pcv system not designed for this - it's not really blowby. Catch can for track days. And check oil often

I'm having good luck with the new BL pcv.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Have not experienced oil consumption issues on my ‘19 GTI. I do run 5w 40 with success. Haven’t experienced clouds of smoke. I run on 200tw tires and track specific brakes. Maybe I’m not pushing it hard enough???

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Have not experienced oil consumption issues on my ‘19 GTI. I do run 5w 40 with success. Haven’t experienced clouds of smoke. I run on 200tw tires and track specific brakes. Maybe I’m not pushing it hard enough???
I’m looking at some re71’s what are you running? I’m split between them or just being cost conscious and getting 4S’s

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I was getting massive clouds of smoke with my 2019, car would sputter for half a lap. I'd have to take it easy to keep it from smoking. Haven't had same issue since switching to BL. I haven't tried BL with anything but 200tw, so other people with stickier tires might not be as lucky.

I'm planning on adding a baffled oil pan and CC as the car gets faster and more developed.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I was getting massive clouds of smoke with my 2019, car would sputter for half a lap. I'd have to take it easy to keep it from smoking. Haven't had same issue since switching to BL. I haven't tried BL with anything but 200tw, so other people with stickier tires might not be as lucky.

I'm planning on adding a baffled oil pan and CC as the car gets faster and more developed.
As I said... maybe I’m not pushing it that hard in the brake zones??? Curious that I haven’t had pcv issues.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Been using plain old Pirelli P Zero for my last couple outings. Old tire design but highly predictable. Going to run some cloesout RT 615k’s next track day.

I ran 615k's on the STI, they should hold up pretty well on the GTI.