GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone add a quart of thicker oil before track day?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m running the VWR catch can and am planning to add the iABED baffled pan over the Winter with a move to take off slicks for next season. I may weld in a bung and run a drain line from the catch can into the sump.

I installed the VWR catch can before my first HPDE. Never had abnormal or major collections of oil/water. Engine was on a stock tune. Have recently gone to a low torque APR tune. Curious as to whether the higher boost is going to change how much the catch can collects.

The only reason to go to 50-weight oil is for high ambient and high oil temps.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’m running the VWR catch can and am planning to add the iABED baffled pan over the Winter with a move to take off slicks for next season. I may weld in a bung and run a drain line from the catch can into the sump.

I installed the VWR catch can before my first HPDE. Never had abnormal or major collections of oil/water. Engine was on a stock tune. Have recently gone to a low torque APR tune. Curious as to whether the higher boost is going to change how much the catch can collects.

The only reason to go to 50-weight oil is for high ambient and high oil temps.
50 weight makes for nice stable oil pressure too. Sometimes LOL

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
50 weight makes for nice stable oil pressure too. Sometimes LOL

We all ran 20w-50 in tracked STI's back in the day, are they still doing that with the EJ257's?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
We all ran 20w-50 in tracked STI's back in the day, are they still doing that with the EJ257's?
It’s crazy. Dudes are running rotella, 20w50, straight 50. 5w50, and there’s more. I’m not sure if the community ever settled on anything. At times it’s as if everyone’s just running whatever they want.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It’s crazy. Dudes are running rotella, 20w50, straight 50. 5w50, and there’s more. I’m not sure if the community ever settled on anything. At times it’s as if everyone’s just running whatever they want.

Rotella 20w-50 was my jam. Lol.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
As I said... maybe I’m not pushing it that hard in the brake zones??? Curious that I haven’t had pcv issues.
I'm in a similar boat. I've had whisps of smoke at 1 or 2 autox events when there were decreasing radius right hand sweepers, but I haven't gotten much either. I was going to replace my PCV with an OEM just as preventative maintenance, but right now I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't touch it" mentality

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I'm in a similar boat. I've had whisps of smoke at 1 or 2 autox events when there were decreasing radius right hand sweepers, but I haven't gotten much either. I was going to replace my PCV with an OEM just as preventative maintenance, but right now I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't touch it" mentality
I thought I was in exact same situation. Did a few track days, too. But the last one was like car was just drinking oil. No huge clouds I dont think, either. If no track time planned, it's probably fine as-is

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If I was going to race my car I would change the oil before and after racing.

I change after. No need to do before unless you're near the 10,000 mile mark, but that never happens if you're tracking regularly.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I change after. No need to do before unless you're near the 10,000 mile mark, but that never happens if you're tracking regularly.

By 10,000 miles I've changed my oil 2 1/2 times. Well two times with 2000 miles to the next change. I'll be changing to every 3000K when I get to 125K which won't take much longer.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
By 10,000 miles I've changed my oil 2 1/2 times. Well two times with 2000 miles to the next change. I'll be changing to every 3000K when I get to 125K which won't take much longer.

I'm ok with you doing that, it's your car,
but probably overkill, looking at oil analysis available by the thousands for modern synthetic oils.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm ok with you doing that, it's your car,
but probably overkill, looking at oil analysis available by the thousands for modern synthetic oils.

You're right of course but it certainly can't hurt and at the power level I'm at and how I use my car it gives me a little peace of mind.

Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I’m looking at some re71’s what are you running? I’m split between them or just being cost conscious and getting 4S’s
Would also throw the 651 sports into consideration
https://tirestreets.com/products/accelera-651-sport

I run em for competition and trackdays. Super solid and cost is wildly low. "EASTHOOD" if you want to use our team code :) Have a few members on here and IG/FB running them.

on the oil topic.
Using 5w-40 from Liqui Moly has been perfect for 3 years in a row now. Engine Temps, noise, and delivery is still butter smooth. (using spulen CC)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The only reason I was tracking the RE71R's is because I got a new set with 12 autocross runs on them for $200. They aren't great for tracking though. My first choice would be RS4's, but went to buy a set Friday and TR has no 17" sizes in stock or even listed anymore. 😲😲😲

Would also throw the 651 sports into consideration
https://tirestreets.com/products/accelera-651-sport

I run em for competition and trackdays. Super solid and cost is wildly low. "EASTHOOD" if you want to use our team code :) Have a few members on here and IG/FB running them.

on the oil topic.
Using 5w-40 from Liqui Moly has been perfect for 3 years in a row now. Engine Temps, noise, and delivery is still butter smooth. (using spulen CC)

Are you using an oil cooler?

Last edited: