GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Tuning normally means cutting most basic maintenance intervals in half - Oil, spark plugs, depending on hard you drive Transmission and brakes. You need to understand you're pushing the engine harder than the manufacturer intervals recommend.

Tunes if you're going off the shelf, stick with the bigger names. They're generally safe in the stage 1 area and meant for mass use.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Did you leave the Accessport plugged in consistently to monitor knock retard? My own experience with the MAP tune was very high amounts of knock trying both the 93 and 91 tunes with 93 gas. I've heard others with similar stories, and still others who say they've run them without issue

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Okay so now we're going to have 2 threads where this guy is fear mongering?

45k miles never changed the plugs. Running maperformance tune. We done here....
Yeah I saw the other thread and thought to myself....I KNOW I posted in here...what the....lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Okay so now we're going to have 2 threads where this guy is fear mongering?

45k miles never changed the plugs. Running maperformance tune. We done here....

They were posted at the same time time, I'd more say an accident than fear mongering.

Since the other one is more active, the solution is stop bumping this one so it falls off the don't front page.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
He was at 45k miles a bunch of that tuned on the plugs that came from the factory

Don't be scared of tuning...

While I agree plugs should have been changed regardless (I put in a fresh set of Ruths when I tuned my car), I don't think not changing plugs could cause full engine failure like this, could it?

Navi

Autocross Champion
I had the MAP tune. It sucked. The only way it was bearable was to run the 91oct map with 93 oct fuel. I still ended getting rid of it after 1 month. I wonder how the guys are doing that ran the MAP E30 tune. :oops:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
While I agree plugs should have been changed regardless (I put in a fresh set of Ruths when I tuned my car), I don't think not changing plugs could cause full engine failure like this, could it?

If the tune is bad and the engine is knocking the plugs could be the straw that broke the camels back.

OP didnt post any of his service information in his "log of what happened" which is probably critical information. Either way one person with questionable maintenance on an off brand tune shouldn't be a "GTI engine bad" disposition.

cb1111

If you are going to call VWoA then you need to craft your call carefully. I'd actually write down everything you want to say and stay non-confrontational and factual. Think of this as writing a letter instead of a call. Have the following ready:

VIN​
Date in service​
Miles at failure​
Prior drivetrain issues​
Listing of maintenance​
Date/miles of tune​

You then need to make a case as to why the failure was unrelated to the tune. Here, you can't say "please do a goodwill repair" but you need to make the case that the tune was unrelated to the failure.

Post your thoughts here and we can help you craft your "letter".

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
is it recommended on changing the factory plugs when you tune?
Not really but why wouldnt you? Ruths are like 20 bucks and you absolutely need to cut your service intervals in half. The plugs should be changed every 20k

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not really but why wouldnt you? Ruths are like 20 bucks and you absolutely need to cut your service intervals in half. The plugs should be changed every 20k

I've seen several guys say they got the Rutheniums for same price as stock about $12 each.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
What is with that 20k bid from your dealer though? I literally just saw The tech at my vw dealer Change out a engine from 2018 golf R that money shifted it to 11,000 rpm and the guys bill was like $11,500. And that was for an “R” motor with an is38.

Ouchy. Money shift.

On a similar note, I finally saw a golf R on the road here - I know people in other places say they are common but I've never seen one in the two years I've been paying attention.

Also, it was hard to miss because it was one of the spectrum colors - lime green, with hyperblack wheels no less. My God it was beautiful.

I was in stopped traffic on 215 west near Buffalo and it passed in another lane. No chance to get near it for a closer look/to murder the driver and take it.

Have you seen it around?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Ouchy. Money shift.

On a similar note, I finally saw a golf R on the road here - I know people in other places say they are common but I've never seen one in the two years I've been paying attention.

Also, it was hard to miss because it was one of the spectrum colors - lime green, with hyperblack wheels no less. My God it was beautiful.

I was in stopped traffic on 215 west near Buffalo and it passed in another lane. No chance to get near it for a closer look/to murder the driver and take it.

Have you seen it around?
yup! I met the owner last week actually, very nice lady I think she works at the vw dealer on Sahara... said only 19 ended up getting made/ordered in that color.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I’d try calling VW to see if they’ll help you out, even if they offer 50%, that’s still $10k based on the dealer’s estimate.
I would seriously start searching on copart or similar sites for a donor engine, you can probably get it all done for under $5k using independent shop.