GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else struggle to find a comfortable driving position?

Flippy

Ready to race!
It's likely just me, maybe I'm crazy, but for the life of me I cannot get comfortable driving this car and it's killing the driving enjoyment.

I've owned my Mk7.5 for 9 months now and every day I constantly feel the need to adjust the seat and steering wheel position. Even when I get it feeling decent for a drive, the next time I get in the car, it feels wrong so I'm readjusting again. I drove a Mk6 for 8 years prior to this and never had this issue and the difference between the two isn't that great so I don't know why I'm having so many issues this time around.

Anyone else struggle with this? I wouldn't be shocked if it was just me though.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
55 years old here, as one gets older issues come up.
Back pain and sciatic nerve issues are something one deals with.
I find my Autobahn GTI to be my best seat of 3 vehicles.
The only other vechile with a good seat equal was my 1988 Honda CRX Si. The long thigh support of the CRX was great. Only thing I would change on the GTI, or maybe install an Audi TT seat. They are fantastic. Things I would suggest are to rotate seat bottom back as far as you can so you are laying back more like and F1 car. With front of seat bottom up higher. This shifts weight farther back from legs to lower back. I also find wearing driving shoes allows me to shift seat closer to wheel as having less shoe sole you can move forward to reach pedals. For me this allows me to reach with arms easier. Less leaning and reaching. On leaning seat back, I did a little at a time to get accustomed to it. From driving a truck for 20 years it took a little while.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Find your perfect seating position. This will take a bit sometimes. Then adjust the wheel to match.

I’ve got the autobahn and the lumbar support is awesome.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Good design of VW seat is the transition from back of seat and bottom. Ford seats feel like sitting on a funnel with your rear getting pulled into the crack. VW's seat fills this gap so it feels more like a radius with even support.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
I could never find a good position, I have a base model golf, so I swapped the seats for Audi A4 seats, best thing I ever did

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
My B9 S4 had some of the best seats and fine tune adjustments ever in a car. The Golfs (R and GTI) don't have enough adjustment for me, so you're not alone OP.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Same issue, but I have Base GSW seats. I feel I the wheel doesn't come out far enough and I have to sit too close to where my knee hits the key in the ignition or is pressed up against the center console. Still attempting to find a better driving setup for the seats. Suppose I'll have to get Kessy going forward :unsure:

I figured a German car would be more comfortable for taller people, maybe I'm just missing something with the adjustments.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
IMHO, my 7.5 seats are waaay more comfortable than my mk4 R32 seats were. I do have to play with the lumbar support sometimes, so sometimes I’ll have it full and sometimes I won’t have it at all. Great advice above to get as comfy as you can, then adjust the wheel and mirrors

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Same and sandmangti nails it IMO. I think it’s a combination of very firm seats and little in the way manual adjustability. Many have complained about the lack of front seat bottom angle. That can be mitigated by adding spacers to the front two seat mounting points.

As stated, age is a factor also. Sciatica is a PITA. Ha.

I moved to a MK7 GLI and love it. Same drivetrain as the GTI . Seats aren’t as bolstered but are perfect for me and the power adjustment and seat memory are exactly what I need.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
IMHO, my 7.5 seats are waaay more comfortable than my mk4 R32 seats were.

I had an .:R32 back in the day and had the same problem. Any drive over about 45 minutes and I was ready for a chiropractor and a morphine drip. Wound up getting rid of the car in less than 2 years mainly due to not being able to find a comfortable driving position.

As to things to try here - I'd mess with the bottom cushion tilt, assuming it's adjustable.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I find the position quite comfy and accurate, even in the base seats in a sport trim. I did 6 straight hours once and nothing hurt after. When I am in Hoon mode, everything seems just right.

But, everything about my size and body type is what the accountants would call common denominator / mass appeal. I'm completely average height, normal leg and arm length, and slim to average build.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I wish the MK7s came with a feature where it saves your seat position. Instead of having to constantly do it. Im 6ft and lay pretty far back where nobody could sit behind me. Otherwise, I drive pretty comfortable compared to a corrola I had. The only thing that is uncomfortable is when your trying to layback on the seat. Your back gets into a crazy arch the further the back rest goes.