GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I oil change at dealership or third party shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
So i did my oil change today but do you guys know why the dealer charged me for drain plug is that even necessary on a 4 year old car?

I feel like they scammed me on that part because I swear on vw cars it last years as its a metal screw I think and you dont change it every oil change that makes 0 sense...

I have done my oil twice before at third party shops none of them charged me for drain plug so wtf...

Any ideas or thoughts to why a dealer would charge that??

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So i did my oil change today but do you guys know why the dealer charged me for drain plug is that even necessary on a 4 year old car?

I feel like they scammed me on that part because I swear on vw cars it last years as its a metal screw I think and you dont change it every oil change that makes 0 sense...

I have done my oil twice before at third party shops none of them charged me for drain plug so wtf...

It's plastic and is replaced each oil change. It's a few bucks.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
It's plastic and is replaced each oil change. It's a few bucks.
They told me its a metal piece and that they dont want liability of leaking in future or some shit vs midas they dont change that just filter and gasket and oil done.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

So how many $$s of scam are we talking about.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
They told me its a metal piece and that they dont want liability of leaking in future or some shit vs midas they dont change that just filter and gasket and oil done.
The MK7 Golfs have a plastic drain plug. If you have a metal aftermarket oil pan replacement, then yes, you have a regular meal one.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
20200925_120948.jpg

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
BIG Yikes....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Now on to....what oil did they use?
Just 9.50 extra i just wanted to see why that was necessary its not a big deal in terms of extra charge just heard many cars usually they dont change it
Any online oil change kit you get from FCP etc. for the MK7s will always have a drain plug. It's the norm.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Also, did they use an extractor but charge you for the drain plug anyway? Oh boy this should be exciting

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI

Any online oil change kit you get from FCP etc. for the MK7s will always have a drain plug. It's the norm.
Yeah well i didnt convert to anything else was just asking why the need to change it after oil change amd whether my specific car is metal drain plug or plastic...

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Confirmed, MK7s have plastic drain plug. Metal drain plug only fits those who did the Steel/aluminum oil pan upgrade.

Not sure if it uses a crush washer or not as I ordered the steel pan to replace. I know the MK6 used a crush washer and dealers liked to charge 7 bucks for that.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Confirmed, MK7s have plastic drain plug. Metal drain plug only fits those who did the Steel/aluminum oil pan upgrade.

Not sure if it uses a crush washer or not as I ordered the steel pan to replace. I know the MK6 used a crush washer and dealers liked to charge 7 bucks for that.
I guess they change it every time plastic one because it may cause leaks if reused i dont know to why dealer changes it everytime with oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.