GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I oil change at dealership or third party shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
You get your oil changed once a year approximately right? And you want to spend $60 for the pan and then probably $200 to have it installed to avoid spending $10 on an oil pan drain plug. So if you keep your car for about 25 years you'll finally break even on your investment.

Oh and if not properly installed steel oil pans are prone to leaking.
No twice every 10k

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
7 pages for what I still think is a troll.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
$10 drain plugs? Can't you find a pack of them for that on Amazon? Go crazy, re-use them...it will be fine, it's an o-ring.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

cb1111

Yeah why not whatever looks nice and doesnt make my car slower lol aluminum yeaaa
Yes, you need something that looks nice for the oil change guy every 5k miles.

Troll - nobody could be this stupid.

There aren't that many women in car forums and (as a general rule), they either ask very basic questions, thank you for an answer and go back to lurking or they are very knowledgeable (from lurking and doing).

This one is acting like a 14 year old teenage boy troll. Don't feed the troll.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
$10 drain plugs? Can't you find a pack of them for that on Amazon? Go crazy, re-use them...it will be fine, it's an o-ring.

I bought the ones that are sold on Amazon by a third party and they leaked. I change my oil so frequently I just change the drain plug every 4th oil change. I get the drain plugs from the dealer for $6 each.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
But I'm invested in this now....I can't stop checking it.

Same here. It's like a soap opera that you have to tune in to just to see what crazy thing is next. Like maybe I should change the air in my tires periodically. 🤪

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Same here. It's like a soap opera that you have to tune in to just to see what crazy thing is next. Like maybe I should change the air in my tires periodically. 🤪
Or....can't I use 10W30 from the convenience store?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I bought the ones that are sold on Amazon by a third party and they leaked. I change my oil so frequently I just change the drain plug every 4th oil change. I get the drain plugs from the dealer for $6 each.

What? Which ones?

I bought these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSQFCJA

I'm on my 3rd one. AFAIK, there's no leaking. I think?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What? Which ones?

I bought these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSQFCJA

I'm on my 3rd one. AFAIK, there's no leaking. I think?

I don't remember if those are the same ones but you would know if they are leaking because it left a puddle in my driveway. I tried 2 of them and they both leaked. Even though it was a third party seller Amazon sent me a $60 gift card for the inconvenience and mess. I could have just got a bad batch. Visually they looked identical to the OEM ones.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I don't remember if those are the same ones but you would know if they are leaking because it left a puddle in my driveway. I tried 2 of them and they both leaked. Even though it was a third party seller Amazon sent me a $60 gift card for the inconvenience and mess. I could have just got a bad batch. Visually they looked identical to the OEM ones.

A full puddle? Jeez. I figured you meant a little weeping and a drop here and there. It's funny because I still dont trust the whole design of the plug vs traditional metal threaded. I still half expect it to just fall out a day after every oil change.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A full puddle? Jeez. I figured you meant a little weeping and a drop here and there. It's funny because I still dont trust the whole design of the plug vs traditional metal threaded. I still half expect it to just fall out a day after every oil change.

Yeah a puddle about the size of 2 basketballs. I'm at 102K and haven't had a problem with the plastic plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.