GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I am considering tracking my car in the near future...looking for suggestions/tweaks

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I’ve used cryo Stoptech rotors and they work great. Went through quite a few sets of pads and the rotors are still going. In my experience, cry treated rotors are actually worth it. Another bit of anecdotal evidence is I know a guy that used to use them on his 962 race car. Regular rotors lasted a couple events; cryo rotors lasted all year.

EDIT to clarify these rotors see street and track use on my car and perform well in both circumstances.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I’ve used cryo Stoptech rotors and they work great. Went through quite a few sets of pads and the rotors are still going. In my experience, cry treated rotors are actually worth it. Another bit of anecdotal evidence is I know a guy that used to use them on his 962 race car. Regular rotors lasted a couple events; cryo rotors lasted all year.

EDIT to clarify these rotors see street and track use on my car and perform well in both circumstances.
Thanks! What pads do you use?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks! What pads do you use?

I use Pagid RS-4(?) Orange pads. I’m unsure if they’re available for the non-PP calipers. But, I’ve used those pads on my last few cars and have liked them so I never saw a real reason to switch it up. Couple times that I did I got Hawk Somethings which were hard in the rotors and EBC Yellows which were great on the street and at tracks that aren’t so hard on the brakes but if I was real hard on them I’d get green fade (hard pedal but no brakes).

I have used EBC Yellows in the rear without issue but I feel like I’ve seen some negative feedback from others so ymmv. I started using them because they were what was available in time for an event right when I got my car and I’ve had little reason to change it up.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I know that there are varying reviews on EBC Yellowstuff pads. It seems like there are a lot of people that don't like them.
How are the Bluestuff pads? Has anybody used them? Do they fix the shortfalls of Yellowstuff pads? But then again, the info is spotty, so I don't even know if they have the size for non PP cars.
I was initially convinced that I would go with Ferodo DS2500 pads, but since my car doesn't have the Performance Pack, they don't have the rear pads that fit my car. I wonder if it's ok to use Ferodo DS2500 up front, and Yellowstuff in the rear?

Last edited:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I know that there are varying reviews on EBC Yellowstuff pads. It seems like there are a lot of people that don't like them.
How are the Bluestuff pads? Has anybody used them? Do they fix the shortfalls of Yellowstuff pads? But then again, the info is spotty, so I don't even know if they have the size for non PP cars.
I was initially convinced that I would go with Ferodo DS2500 pads, but since my car doesn't have the Performance Pack, they don't have the rear pads that fit my car. I wonder if it's ok to use Ferodo DS2500 up front, and Yellowstuff in the rear?
I ran stock pads on the track in the rear for years with no issue. GTI doesn’t use the rear pads much.
please don’t use EBC anything on the track. They are not very good. Must be way better options out there. I hear Carbotech get mentioned a lot for you guys. They make lots of different compounds.
Personally my go to pad right now is Circo M119. Running these in my Alcon’s. They are amazing. When I used stock PP brakes my favourites were Endless MX72. Though I know they don’t make them for the small calipers.
if I were you I would get a BBK. Even if just for the better pad selection. Brakes is not something you want to second guess on track as I’m sure you know. These single piston boat anchors are just rubbish on track. Super inconsistent. I persisted for 3 years until getting a BBK and it’s night and day.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I ran stock pads on the track in the rear for years with no issue. GTI doesn’t use the rear pads much.
please don’t use EBC anything on the track. They are not very good. Must be way better options out there. I hear Carbotech get mentioned a lot for you guys. They make lots of different compounds.
Personally my go to pad right now is Circo M119. Running these in my Alcon’s. They are amazing. When I used stock PP brakes my favourites were Endless MX72. Though I know they don’t make them for the small calipers.
if I were you I would get a BBK. Even if just for the better pad selection. Brakes is not something you want to second guess on track as I’m sure you know. These single piston boat anchors are just rubbish on track. Super inconsistent. I persisted for 3 years until getting a BBK and it’s night and day.
Thanks for the info. There are different reasons that I eliminated the pads you listed above. Unfortunately, most quality pads only come in the size for the PP cars. I also agree that the BBK is the way to go, but for now, I wanted to get to the tracks, just to make sure that it's worth the effort (I have to travel), and to make sure that I will continue to go. All the past track experience I had, I always used other cars, I felt bad for my own because I'm VERY meticulous with the car/finish, etc. If I continue to go, and feel like I have a lack of trust in the brakes, I will 100% do a BBK in the future. I figured that this step is not a loss, since I will be wearing out all of this stuff and enjoying it in the process, so it's no loss. I just hope I don't fry the brakes on the first outing!, LOL

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Don't even worry about the rears until they're worn out. Yellows would be fine in the rear, I wouldn't use them in the front. I used EBC's early in my Subaru days. Wasn't impressed. Their street pads were hard on rotors and the yellows didn't hold up to tracking on the front brakes, though I'd have no issue using them on the rear.

Last edited:

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You don’t need a BBK. An OEM+ upgrade is more than enough unless you start getting really aggressive and run at places like Road America or Watkins Glen. There are plenty of race cars that run floating calipers. The biggest reason to upgrade calipers is pad selection and feel. You can do 986 calipers on your current rotors or do the Macan calipers if you want to step up the rotor size.

Don't even worry about the rears until they're worn out. Yellows would be fine in the rear, I wouldn't use them in the front.

I’ll second this. I ran stock pads in the rear until they were gone. They’re fine. They work.

I’m also curious about the Blue EBC pads and have heard literally nothing about them. I’ve considered putting them in just to satisfy that curiosity.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Can we PLEASE stop saying the rear pads don't need to be changed or upgraded?

Trust me your car on track will use all of the brakes. The amount of safety and performance gained from putting a proper pad back there is huge vs the cost of changing them.

I keep seeing this here and on FB/IG.

Do them both. Whether you compete or just having fun, you will have more control and have a higher capacity to go faster with both systems upgraded.

For reference I dropped .8 seconds at TMP going from DS2500 front and ebc yellow rear. and a whopping 1.5 seconds to having the ds2500 matching rears.

Do you need a BBK etc, no but if your gonna do the work/maintenance, change the fluid etc. Do the whole job. It won't be a waste of time, I PROMISE.

*hops of box*

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Trust me your car on track will use all of the brakes. The amount of safety and performance gained from putting a proper pad back there is huge vs the cost of changing them.

Do them both. Whether you compete or just having fun, you will have more control and have a higher capacity to go faster with both systems upgraded.

For reference I dropped .8 seconds at TMP going from DS2500 front and ebc yellow rear. and a whopping 1.5 seconds to having the ds2500 matching rears.

Do you need a BBK etc, no but if your gonna do the work/maintenance, change the fluid etc. Do the whole job. It won't be a waste of time, I PROMISE.

*hops of box*

The rear pads make a difference, but you don't need to upgrade the rears to 310mm PP rears, and while you're learning, the stock rear pads are sufficient until worn out.

That's not the same as saying rear pads don't need to be upgraded or don't provide a performance increase.

That being said, most cars the fronts do about 80% of the braking. If you're short on money, that's your best value, along with good fluid.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT

*hops of box*

I have my first track day planned for next month. I have a ‘17 SE w/PP and just bought pads and rotors (front/rear) from FCP. Went with the Zimmerman sport kit & EBC red stuff.

I’m not sure how many HDPE I’ll do but likely a couple per year. Hope I made the right choice.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
The rear pads make a difference, but you don't need to upgrade the rears to 310mm PP rears, and while you're learning, the stock rear pads are sufficient until worn out.

That's not the same as saying rear pads don't need to be upgraded or don't provide a performance increase.

That being said, most cars the fronts do about 80% of the braking. If you're short on money, that's your best value, along with good fluid.

Why on earth would you leave 20% of your potential fun and safety up in the air? (granted thats a random percentage its actually lower than that)

You certainly don't need to upgrade calipers just to have fun.

However it is poor practice to say "you don't need the rears" or even imply it

Why? because the worst almost happened to me. Mid session at the end of the day I lost a rear pad. It just finally failed. Going into a 75 mph brake zone I had no right rear. Car damn near had a fit.

now i made a mistake. I looked at my rear pads from the outside only. had no idea the inner pad was gone.

Thankfully nothing bad happened but that changed it forever for me. My instructor and experienced friends all said the same thing...

"you left the rear stock?? Why?"

No matter the drivetrain you want to improve everything when it comes to brakes and tires. Like people who just put one tread type up front and "whatever" on the rear because its fwd (except drag racers)

Its not safe, not smart, and will hurt you in the end.

I'm of the mindset of if you can't afford front AND rear pads. You can't afford that track day then. Why risk it for no reason other than to save 80 dollars (a bit more in my application but ya know)?

I'm very passionate about this because I'm living proof that it makes a world of difference. Just cause its not a race doesn't mean you shouldn't prep like it.

I have my first track day planned for next month. I have a ‘17 SE w/PP and just bought pads and rotors from FCP. Went with the Zimmerman sport kit & EBC red stuff.

I’m not sure how many HDPE I’ll do but likely a couple per year. Hope I made the right choice.
You'll do great! Have fun! (I still use OEM rotors so no worries there)

Enjoy learning the track in the first half and look for pace later! If you can snag an instructor or a vetted track person see if they will work with you for a session to look for improvements or ways to make new "good" habits!

Where you going?
:D

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why on earth would you leave 20% of your potential fun and safety up in the air? (granted thats a random percentage its actually lower than that)

Why? because the worst almost happened to me. Mid session at the end of the day I lost a rear pad. It just finally failed. Going into a 75 mph brake zone I had no right rear. Car damn near had a fit.

now i made a mistake. I looked at my rear pads from the outside only. had no idea the inner pad was gone.

Thankfully nothing bad happened but that changed it forever for me. My instructor and experienced friends all said the same thing...

No matter the drivetrain you want to improve everything when it comes to brakes and tires. Like people who just put one tread type up front and "whatever" on the rear because its fwd (except drag racers)

I'm of the mindset of if you can't afford front AND rear pads. You can't afford that track day then. Why risk it for no reason other than to save 80 dollars (a bit more in my application but ya know)?

I'm very passionate about this because I'm living proof that it makes a world of difference. Just cause its not a race doesn't mean you shouldn't prep like it.

Enjoy learning the track in the first half and look for pace later! If you can snag an instructor or a vetted track person see if they will work with you for a session to look for improvements or ways to make new "good" habits!

Where you going?

TCR cars with the sequential gear box use the non-PP rears, and use more rear braking than a stock car due to the increased rear downforce.

So no need to upgrade rear hardware. Rear pads make a big difference for experienced drivers, with mods and tweaks to the ABS, but will make zero difference for a new driver. Money is better spent elsewhere until the rears wear out. If you're progressing quickly, rears will need to be replaced soon enough.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
TCR cars with the sequential gear box use the non-PP rears, and use more rear braking than a stock car due to the increased rear downforce.

So no need to upgrade rear hardware. Rear pads make a big difference for experienced drivers, with mods and tweaks to the ABS, but will make zero difference for a new driver. Money is better spent elsewhere until the rears wear out. If you're progressing quickly, rears will need to be replaced soon enough.
To piggyback on this, rear pads definitely won't need to be upgraded if you're on stock suspension. You can really take advantage of a better rear pad once you have stiffer suspension. When the front end isn't diving hard under braking you don't get as much weight transfer off of the rear to the front, so the rear brakes have the ability to do more work. In that case, a stickier rear pad will help slow the car down faster.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT

Where you going?

Thanks. SCDA event in Palmer, MA. Novice group so i get some instruction though I’m not sure exactly what that entails. Any thoughts?

Per SCDA:

Run Group Criteria:

NOVICE is also known as the Green Run Group. ( Newer track drivers with no experience to limited experience, Instructors are required and will be provided for lead follow w/ radio communication.)