GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FMIC questions

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does the AC performance really suffer from the FMIC? I find it ridiculous that the AC condenser is just hanging out there with no protection, on my golf R the AC condenser was hit by a rock and died in the first 2k miles.

A friend of mine has the Baun Performance FMIC in Phoenix and his AC still works fine when it's 115* outside.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
A friend of mine has the Baun Performance FMIC in Phoenix and his AC still works fine when it's 115* outside.
What is with people thinking the ac will be worse with a fmic my ecs fmic doesn’t cause a single issue with my car even when it’s 108• outside in Cali

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Yup well aware, stock IC for GTI is only like 7.5lbs. Thermal mass totally matters fully agree. The problem is this IC now has no flow going through the internals only the fins on the exterior when using it with a straight FMIC setup. Its more the dead non-functional weight that potentially can hold more heat that I dont like.

Still better than stock for sure but not as optimal/clean a setup as I would like.
It's a heat exchanger that no longer has a heat source being pumped through it, don't really see how it could possibly be holding more heat. It is definitely dead weight though, all 7.5 lbs of it.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I don’t think ARM is using authentic Vibrant cores for two reasons.

-Vibrant just increased pricing by 20%, so their retail price is in the negative unless they’re buying every component as cheap as possible and having it built in China.

-A customer PM’d me a picture of the ARM kit and the intercooler itself looked like it was straight off of WISH lol.

Anyway there’s something out there for everyone and even if it’s bottom of the barrel components it’s better than the eBay bicoolers by design so it has some positives to it.

Mine, Authentic Vibrant

Questionable rough finish even overtop of the welds on ARM. Unless it’s a rendering it doesn’t appear to be Vibrant

Also, here’s one of my kits FS lightly used (I don’t own it, contact info in the thread)
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/used-baun-performance-fmic-tx.377920/

Buy the ARM Motorsport kit $487 ($438 on sale)
Buy an Authentic Vibrant 12810 IC $210
Save $103-$152 vs Baun for the same performance assuming the Vibrant and ARM ICs have a performance difference.

Or, if the ARM IC performs comparably to the Vibrant, save $313-$361 versus the Baun kit. There is something out therefore everyone, even if it's gold plated.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
What is with people thinking the ac will be worse with a fmic my ecs fmic doesn’t cause a single issue with my car even when it’s 108• outside in Cali

It's a totally valid concern - and it's likely that the AC performance is reduced by the FMIC, just not enough to notice.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's a totally valid concern - and it's likely that the AC performance is reduced by the FMIC, just not enough to notice.
Likely. Or not. Removing a nearby heat soak and diminishing air flow is not a given reduction. You'd have to determine which has the larger effect. If there's still sufficient air flow, then an FMIC should actually help the a/c effectiveness.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
It's a heat exchanger that no longer has a heat source being pumped through it, don't really see how it could possibly be holding more heat. It is definitely dead weight though, all 7.5 lbs of it.

It’s a heat exchanger sandwiched between two other heat exchangers that are trying to reject heat. Would be much better for them if it was removed if it isn’t doing anything taking the heat from them or blocking flow that doesn’t need to be blocked.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

This. I’ve never had a single report of degraded AC performance, so that’s a pretty random assumption lol

Some people have noted slightly higher oil temperatures, but that’s what happens when you get new go fast parts and drive the car harder. Coolant temperature directly effects oil temp, but as you guys know the coolant gauge in our cars isn’t accurate.
Buy the ARM Motorsport kit $487 ($438 on sale)
Buy an Authentic Vibrant 12810 IC $210
Save $103-$152 vs Baun for the same performance assuming the Vibrant and ARM ICs have a performance difference.

Or, if the ARM IC performs comparably to the Vibrant, save $313-$361 versus the Baun kit. There is something out therefore everyone, even if it's gold plated.

If using the best available components and American manufacturing is “gold plated” then what’s that make ARM?

Just the reducer couplers alone in my kit to match the OEM tubing size cost $50+ at my cost and they’re the only properly sized reducer couplers for that application on the market. Vote with your dollar, but you’re not buying the name you’re buying actual R&D, customer support, and most importantly QUALITY materials.

You can “save” all you want by buying lessor products, but paying $500 for $69 worth of crap doesn’t make it a “deal” it just means you paid a lot for a little.

Again, I couldn’t care less what intercooler you buy, but don’t drag my name through the mud because you think I should focus on a price point vs quality...that’s what everyone else does so save that speech for them. Almost all of my competitors are in E commerce exclusively, not manufacturing so much like Nike shoes it’s sweat shop products with an American or Canadians brand name on it bought in bulk and marked up 60-95% then sold to you.

At the end of the day I stay booked out a month or more and turn down work regularly, so you’re not hurting my feelings although turning your nose up at those who appreciate what I do is pretty backwards...do you pee on Lambo door handles at cars and coffee too?

Last edited:

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
It’s a heat exchanger sandwiched between two other heat exchangers that are trying to reject heat. Would be much better for them if it was removed if it isn’t doing anything taking the heat from them or blocking flow that doesn’t need to be blocked.
Better? Definitely. Much better? I haven't seen FMIC users who left their stock IC in place complaining of high water temps any more than aftermarket direct fit IC users.

But people definitely seem to get wrapped up in creating endurance race ready cooling solutions capable of non-stop hot lapping for their daily drivers. If you're a 10+ weekend HPDE track rat or chasing a 1/4 mile record cool, but most people asking for an intercooler suggestion for their stage 1 tune aren't.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Members are allowed their suggestive opinions, especially when it comes to cost savings (if that is important). As both a member and vendor (although not listed as a vendor) - be mindful of your “brand”. When getting into quibbles about recommendations over costs, that devalues the stock which is trying to be saved.

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The Baun package is definitely the premium option, but the premium aspect of it kinda seems like the piping. What is the downside and potential cost savings to move to silicone hoses?

Maybe a less insulting take on what was said above - APR sells it's silicone hose kit for IC for $210 - theres got to be some profit in there. So Vibrant IC costs 210-250 from a reputable supplier (vivid racing is 250) + 200 in hoses it seems like a competitive kit could be done for $500-600. Metal piping is $800.

And I say this as someone who will probably just buy the Baun $800 option because I value premium parts.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Better? Definitely. Much better? I haven't seen FMIC users who left their stock IC in place complaining of high water temps any more than aftermarket direct fit IC users.

But people definitely seem to get wrapped up in creating endurance race ready cooling solutions capable of non-stop hot lapping for their daily drivers. If you're a 10+ weekend HPDE track rat or chasing a 1/4 mile record cool, but most people asking for an intercooler suggestion for their stage 1 tune aren't.
It is more about Consistency and Efficiency every time.
I haven’t seen a survey in any proportion that would support “most”. It would be more fair to suggest “most prefer less cost”.
@Jovian

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Members are allowed their suggestive opinions, especially when it comes to cost savings (if that is important). As both a member and vendor (although not listed as a vendor) - be mindful of your “brand”. When getting into quibbles about recommendations over costs, that devalues the stock which is trying to be saved.
so what do you vend? lol