Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
anything is better than stock IC, you don't "Need" and FMIC, you could get stock location which works fine. There are tons of options out there, many big turbo guys like apr, uni, ams, ... for fmic there is Baun Performance, LT Motorsport?, and some other ebay options

I went with @GTI Jake kit a.k.a Baun Performance. It's an FMIC which works great

Edit: could vs should

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I like the direct replacement intercoolers over FMIC for various reason. Most of the time you need to leave the stock intercoler in when doing a FMIC due to it holding other thing in place. So you keep all that weight and now its just a block of metal getting no flow internally to dissipate heat (unless you are running a twintercooler setup).

Just FYI, or you know already - the stock intercooler is very light and flimsy, it's one of the reasons it is so much worse than the aftermarket ones since thermal mass actually matters in an open loop cooling system like an intercooler.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Just FYI, or you know already - the stock intercooler is very light and flimsy, it's one of the reasons it is so much worse than the aftermarket ones since thermal mass actually matters in an open loop cooling system like an intercooler.

Yup well aware, stock IC for GTI is only like 7.5lbs. Thermal mass totally matters fully agree. The problem is this IC now has no flow going through the internals only the fins on the exterior when using it with a straight FMIC setup. Its more the dead non-functional weight that potentially can hold more heat that I dont like.

Still better than stock for sure but not as optimal/clean a setup as I would like.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Does the AC performance really suffer from the FMIC? I find it ridiculous that the AC condenser is just hanging out there with no protection, on my golf R the AC condenser was hit by a rock and died in the first 2k miles.

I haven't noticed a difference. It's been 100+ here in So Cal.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I haven't noticed a difference. It's been 100+ here in So Cal.
Great thanks for the feedback. I really want an FMIC and the protection for the condenser. Two birds with one stone!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
See what? That they both use vibrant 12810 cores?

I don’t think ARM is using authentic Vibrant cores for two reasons.

-Vibrant just increased pricing by 20%, so their retail price is in the negative unless they’re buying every component as cheap as possible and having it built in China.

-A customer PM’d me a picture of the ARM kit and the intercooler itself looked like it was straight off of WISH lol.

Anyway there’s something out there for everyone and even if it’s bottom of the barrel components it’s better than the eBay bicoolers by design so it has some positives to it.

Mine, Authentic Vibrant

Questionable rough finish even overtop of the welds on ARM. Unless it’s a rendering it doesn’t appear to be Vibrant

Also, here’s one of my kits FS lightly used (I don’t own it, contact info in the thread)
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/used-baun-performance-fmic-tx.377920/

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

-Vibrant just increased pricing by 20%, so their retail price is in the negative unless they’re buying every component as cheap as possible and having it built in China.

-A customer PM’d me a picture of the ARM kit and the intercooler itself looked like it was straight off of WISH lol.

Anyway there’s something out there for everyone and even if it’s bottom of the barrel components it’s better than the eBay bicoolers by design so it has some positives to it.

Also, here’s one of my kits FS lightly used (I don’t own it, contact info in the thread)
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/used-baun-performance-fmic-tx.377920/
Yup, you can tell from the picture and the finish’s that it’s NOT a vibrant core, it’s a knock off of the vibrant core.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti

Mine, Authentic Vibrant

Questionable rough finish even overtop of the welds on ARM. Unless it’s a rendering it doesn’t appear to be Vibrant

Must be a knock off then cause the dimensions of Arms core and Vibrant are the exact same.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
There are less costly alternatives.
Have an understanding of your vehicle's Cooling System - there is an A/C Condensor, I/C, and Radiator in the stack. Air flows in that direction.
When opting for a FMIC, know that the air flow through the Cooling System is greatly reduced. FMIC type set-ups that piggy-back on the stock system are effective, but at the cost of affecting the rest of the system.
Just about every Stock location I/C will be more costly.
At a minimum, I would recommend a stock location I/C set-up over a FMIC - regardless of brand or type.

You speaking from experience?

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I just recently went Cobb stage 1 with a CAI and a DSG tune and want to add an exhaust but Cobb is suggesting I add a FMIC before doing so as I will get heat soak. Their intercooler however is around $900 and was wondering if any of you have gone through Cobb, and if so is there a cheaper alternative to their FMIC?

Yes, CTS FMIC. They're even cheaper than what they used to go for. Been running mine for about 5 yrs at stage1.