GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI's Value?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I wouldn't consider it a ticking time bomb if returned to stock. I think the clutch's pressure plate is a contributing factor in the crankwalk failure. But I will have to decide now while the car is being repaired which clutch I want to use.

Yeah good point. I just don't know if I have the heart to keep the car and return it to stock. Really wish there was some hard data on the causes of the crankwalk failures.

I guess every once in a while I need to post to the forums to bring myself down to earth, lol.
I feel your pain. Years ago I a big block Trans Am and took a promotion where I needed to commute a long distance in all kinds of weather. I probably should have bought a winter rat, but I needed reliable transportation. So I traded it for a newer 4-cylinder car.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I would say take the brand new engine and run and try to enjoy it stock, but I've never driven a tuned mk7. It's a shitty situation to be in but i think quitting while you're ahead (ish) is a good idea.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks guys. A lot of good advice for me to think about.

I did have to call VW Customer Care to have them open a case and eventually they did agree to cover part of it. Here's the thing, though. They never asked about any mods to begin with and they haven't scanned the car to flag TD1 or anything. I think because it's not technically a warranty coverage and it's "good will," they're not actually checking for warranty-breaking things maybe?
In a weird way I might have lucked out by having my engine blow up after my warranty expired instead of during my warranty.

Thanks that's actually really reassuring. Yes it's a 1 year warranty. It's just this stupid engine self-destructing on me has me traumatized.
Thanks guys. A lot of good advice for me to think about.

I did have to call VW Customer Care to have them open a case and eventually they did agree to cover part of it. Here's the thing, though. They never asked about any mods to begin with and they haven't scanned the car to flag TD1 or anything. I think because it's not technically a warranty coverage and it's "good will," they're not actually checking for warranty-breaking things maybe?
In a weird way I might have lucked out by having my engine blow up after my warranty expired instead of during my warranty.

Thanks that's actually really reassuring. Yes it's a 1 year warranty. It's just this stupid engine self-destructing on me has me traumatized.
A dealer isn't going to scan your car or list your mods unless VW tells them to. Sounds like you really lucked out.

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
If I were you I’d want to dump that car as well, but no way in hell for another $40k+ Golf...cut your losses, get a cheap Toyota, save for a nice downpayment on a house. Not sure how old are you and what your financial situation is, but I would say you’re better off investing in your home than depreciating asset such as a car...don’t forget retirement fund ;)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If I were you I’d want to dump that car as well, but no way in hell for another $40k+ Golf...cut your losses, get a cheap Toyota, save for a nice downpayment on a house. Not sure how old are you and what your financial situation is, but I would say you’re better off investing in your home than depreciating asset such as a car...don’t forget retirement fund ;)

That's Dave Ramsey type advice which I happen to agree with but got slammed for advising to do the smart financial thing.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Why wouldn't you just drive this? It's got a new engine and the likelihood of it happening again is nearly zero.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
A dealer isn't going to scan your car or list your mods unless VW tells them to. Sounds like you really lucked out.
Yep I got super lucky in that regard. It would've been cool if the whole ordeal never happened, but here I am lol.
Why wouldn't you just drive this? It's got a new engine and the likelihood of it happening again is nearly zero.
Well I'm hoping the chances of it happening again are nearly zero. But seeing all these threads and having my engine blow up on me just has me thinking that it's gonna happen again as soon as a stage 2 clutch comes near it.
But you guys are right. I'm probably wayy overreacting and just using this misfortune to try to justify getting into another car.
AWD and DSG is just so nice and I can only imagine having tuned is38 power with those things.

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Yep I got super lucky in that regard. It would've been cool if the whole ordeal never happened, but here I am lol.

Well I'm hoping the chances of it happening again are nearly zero. But seeing all these threads and having my engine blow up on me just has me thinking that it's gonna happen again as soon as a stage 2 clutch comes near it.
But you guys are right. I'm probably wayy overreacting and just using this misfortune to try to justify getting into another car.

Don't put a stage 2 clutch near it, then. Problem solved.

If you're trying to pick up a house but still want to have some fun with the vehicle, there are other ways to make it happen.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Don't put a stage 2 clutch near it, then. Problem solved.
If you're trying to pick up a house but still want to have some fun with the vehicle, there are other ways to make it happen.
Yeah it's just I really don't want to go back to stock now. Even a mild tune basically necessitates a clutch upgrade. And if I'm returning my GTI back to stock, I may as well just get a corolla because I'd enjoy it about as much (definitely an exaggeration). Plus the fact that I "invested" $700+ for APR software (total sunken-cost fallacy there). There isn't really "other" stuff for me to have fun with anymore. I'm past my phase of air suspension and caring about non-oem wheels. Having extra oomph in my daily is all I care to have.

Even if I keep my GTI I'm still well on track to getting a house; it's paid off. It's just a question of, "will it still be reliable?"
Unfortunately the answer to that is unknown without actual hard statistics on thrust bearing failures and their causes.

And I'm using this fear to justify a used Golf R and a $10k+ loan... which is completely wrong because it's not like a DSG Golf R is going to suddenly become the perfect picture of reliability. It's still a VW with a turbo with stuff that can fail..

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it's just I really don't want to go back to stock now. Even a mild tune basically necessitates a clutch upgrade. And if I'm returning my GTI back to stock, I may as well just get a corolla because I'd enjoy it about as much. There isn't really "other" stuff for me to have fun with anymore. I'm past my phase of air suspension and caring about non-oem wheels. Having extra oomph in my daily is all I care to have.

Even if I keep my GTI I'm still well on track to getting a house. It's just a question of, "will it still be reliable?"
Unfortunately the answer to that is unknown without actual hard statistics on thrust bearing failures and their causes.
And I'm using this fear to justify the Golf R a bit...

A Golf R has more parts to go wrong. Keep that in mind.

If your engine has been sorted, it's probably less of a question mark than it was stock. That's why when I buy expensive electronics or audio gear, I tend to go for remanufactured units directly from the factory repair center.

Unlike a new product, I'm almost guaranteed to have something that's been inspected and tested for performance.

The one commonality I've seen with the thrust bearing failures is aftermarket clutches; which does make sense. It's not proven, but it makes sense; and I think it's passed the point of hypothesis, now. I'm not so sure I'd risk it, given what's been showing up after people started responding to surveys. Sure, most can't be trusted, but the number of people admitting to having stronger clutches is actually surprising. I'd have expected more to lie about it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Maybe a milder clutch? Seems you have one with a pressure plate that is pretty strong, unless I'm wrong. There are other clutches that will hold a stg 2 IS20 without being too bad.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
15K actually seems pretty reasonable but I would bet it takes quite awhile to find a buyer.

Never buy anything at the limit of what you can afford. Especially if you're an unlucky person.
After calculating the above, I did see used SE in my area for 14,9xx and 50k miles. I guess the biggest factor is how the new buyer perceives the new engine or update engine whatever