GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What 147k mile valves look like 2015 Gti

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
The oil volatility (NOAK) certainly can have do with carbon build up...this is really the only way the valves get gunked up in a DI engine...through the PCV system and is the reason for catch cans.
There is absolutely no sustained evidence of either of these claims other than anecdotes. Catch cans won’t prevent carbon buildup, and 0w20 won’t either.

Check out ALL direct inject engines across the board. Unless they have MPI cycles (like the third gen Tacoma, for example), the carbon will build.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There is absolutely no sustained evidence of either of these claims other than anecdotes. Catch cans won’t prevent carbon buildup, and 0w20 won’t either.

Check out ALL direct inject engines across the board. Unless they have MPI cycles (like the third gen Tacoma, for example), the carbon will build.
Some good info here:

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
An
Some good info here:

ill watch it later (out) but seeing it’s sponsored by valvoline, it’s probably to sell their product. The difference is also minuscule among higher end full synthetic oils. I’ve read dozens of oil analysis threads comparing store bought brands versus vendor brands (such as Amsoil). It’s all marketing, and you’re going to have to get the carbon cleaned off the old fashioned way.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
But it is drastically reduced.

not really any proof of that. I think it’s great to get the crap out, but as has been mentioned already... it’s just going to happen no matter what. It’s like the claim of methanol will keep valves clean also, which has not been proven either.
I’ve also read that running the car at a steady 3500 rpms for 30 minutes will get the engine hot enough to start burning carbon off. That was supposedly in an Audi manual... but who knows ?‍♂️

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The EA888 Gen 3 has been out for what, 6-7 years now? LOTS of cars out there with high mileage by now. Are there widespread reports of carbon buildup issues? Certainly don't seem to be. It seems that VW improved the PCV system substantially with this generation. I sold my first R with 50k miles and there was zero indication of any issue at that point, still ran like the day it rolled off the lot.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I’ve also read that running the car at a steady 3500 rpms for 30 minutes will get the engine hot enough to start burning carbon off. That was supposedly in an Audi manual... but who knows ?‍♂️

Referring to an Italian cleanup or something like that. For our cars, I would say keep it at 4K rpms for 20 minutes.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Every thread eventually turns into an octane thread haha. What a trip

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Every thread eventually turns into an octane thread haha. What a trip
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH - ain't that the truth! Premium solves it all...ahhahahahahaahah

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
not really any proof of that. I think it’s great to get the crap out, but as has been mentioned already... it’s just going to happen no matter what. It’s like the claim of methanol will keep valves clean also, which has not been proven either.
It doesn’t work for the same reason that the buildup occurs - location. You’re just running your engine hot.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I agree with those that say - it's going to happen regardless and that's why I said....just assume you will need a valve cleaning at some point during ownership. Run the correct oil and change it per the manufacturer's recommendations and live your life.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The EA888 Gen 3 has been out for what, 6-7 years now? LOTS of cars out there with high mileage by now. Are there widespread reports of carbon buildup issues? Certainly don't seem to be. It seems that VW improved the PCV system substantially with this generation. I sold my first R with 50k miles and there was zero indication of any issue at that point, still ran like the day it rolled off the lot.

Agree with this sentiment. My MKV GTI eventually had to be cleaned around 90k miles because it was running terribly due to carbon buildup; misfires, shaking, poor performance, etc. I don't see too many of those kinds of posts around here and US 2015 models are at least 5 years old at this point (or close to it). It has been greatly improved based on my experience.

Buffa

So, I had mine in last week to the dealer, and my service advisor talked to me about this. I was getting the water pump/thermo housing replaced for leaking (under warranty), and the service guy asked if I had the carbon cleaning done yet. He was just going through recommendations while it was in there. I have just under 60k miles and asked how often they recommend this. He said I should have had it done by now, but then looked closer at the paperwork and said something like "Oh wait, you have the CXCB engine code. You shouldn't ever need it done." LOL, I never heard that before, so seeing this post, it made me think to ask if this is really true, or if anyone else has heard this. Did they revise the engine to prevent it somehow? As far as I know, all US ones are direct injection only right? At least I thought I remember reading this a while back. Mine is a US model 2016 with performance pack. Great video @tigeo by the way.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

When I had my valves cleaned at 60,000 miles the dealer said that I didn't really need it that bad and attributed it to my OCC.