GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Color match expectations?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Shop gave me no problems with anything I pointed out and got me me a free rental car. They are looking at refinishing my entire front bumper as well for me as a courtesy because they can't prove that they didn't cause the damage that I found there (I neglected to mention that in my original post). There is a stress area on the fender line portion of the passenger side bumper. The bumper is bowed and the paint has cracked there.

But the rental has problems, go figure! A lovely 2018 Camry with 43k on the clock which I am taking back to Enterprise this afternoon because it gave alerts for "needs engine service", a low tire and stinks like a 65 year old life long smoker has been in it. The windows were all down when I picked it up and I drove home that way so I didn't really catch the cig smell mixed with the smell of diesel in the air because I was at a location next to the highway/airport. As a former smoker, I can't just grin and bear it.

I'm hopeful that the shop gives my car the attention to detail it needs and that everything is good in the end, but with them causing damage while it was in last time, that they now have to fix on a an area of the car that was perfect, it just doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I just got my rear bumper painted as well and the colour matching was done very well. Definitely can't tell my bumper was repainted. They charge an arm and leg but do excellent work.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Where'd you go? A VW specific shop? (avoid Owasco's body shop like the plague... free 12 year rust warranty work and you'll feel ripped off)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
once you see fisheyes in paint, it's a $hit body shop. I would not return to that one. If it was an insurance claim, talk to the insurance directly to get it resolved at a different shop.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
once you see fisheyes in paint, it's a $hit body shop. I would not return to that one. If it was an insurance claim, talk to the insurance directly to get it resolved at a different shop.

I'm giving them this one chance. If I'm not satisfied, I'm not sure what I will do tbh. I've had three very mediocre to very poor experiences with 3 different body/paint shops here in the South Bay area. Twice now on my GTI and once on our 1990 VW Cabriolet.

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of all of this and then having to check their fucking work because they're lazy/sloppy.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I'm giving them this one chance. If I'm not satisfied, I'm not sure what I will do tbh. I've had three very mediocre to very poor experiences with 3 different body/paint shops here in the South Bay area. Twice now on my GTI and once on our 1990 VW Cabriolet.

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of all of this and then having to check their fucking work because they're lazy/sloppy.

Delorean sold today would be a great buy.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

I was lazy and took my wife's car to the GEICO Express shop. They did a shitty, shitty job. Who knew that you could not match black paint? Insurance company said I had to give them a second chance, and well they made it even worse the second time around.

GEICO ended up paying 5x more than the original job when I took it to the shop that I usually go to. The shop had to strip the paint to the metal and redo.

Good Luck!!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I was lazy and took my wife's car to the GEICO Express shop.

Yeah I did go to a shop my insurance works with, but they are also a local independent shop in business for over 50 years, that has good reviews and reputation. They talk the talk and have all their certifications hung up everywhere and all but I'm not pleased.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Where'd you go? A VW specific shop? (avoid Owasco's body shop like the plague... free 12 year rust warranty work and you'll feel ripped off)

European Autobody. Second time I've been there this year. First time my car was parked and someone hit and run the doors. Second time, a guy backed into my driver side rear wheel area with te damage and scratch mainly on the bumper. Waiting for the paint to cure now so I can do ceramic coating again in 2 weeks.

cb1111

A couple of thoughts. Many shops just add flex agent to the paint for the bumpers regardless of the type of paint. Cheap flex agent can cause the clear to yellow and they really need to match the flex agent to the paint they are using.

Matching paint on flexible panels used to be very difficult. It has gotten easier but you have to know what you are doing.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Could be worse. I ran into this last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
With which end of your car?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Could be worse. I ran into this last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even colorblind, I can see that shittastic job.