GOLFMKV

2019 Solo Nationals

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Day 1 in the books.

STH ran heat 1 on the west course.

I thought the course was slippery and had bad understeer in the sweepers.

That being said, I finished on my first run, 2 tenths from the last trophy spot.

https://youtu.be/5EAVI9DQhAI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
The word on the street is: the Yokohama's are the new "must have" tire. Do you think having those would have bumped you up into a trophy spot?

I'm following some of our local guy's results, they're selling their RE-71's as we speak, and grabbed a set of the Yoke's on site.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The word on the street is: the Yokohama's are the new "must have" tire. Do you think having those would have bumped you up into a trophy spot?

I'm following some of our local guy's results, they're selling their RE-71's as we speak, and grabbed a set of the Yoke's on site.

I’m more concerned that I was slower on runs 2 and 3.

Seriously thinking about reducing rear toe-in to help rotation for tomorrow’s event.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yep, smart move.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sitting at the alignment shop now, lucky to get a slot in such short notice.

If anyone is in the Omaha area, S-Line Motorsports has taken great care of my needs, with two last minute slots for alignments, now.

On my GS car with 245/40 17 and 45 offset, I'm currently at .06 total toe in rear, -1.8 camber in the rear on a 26mm H&R bar.

Front camber is -.8 and I have zero tow.

With a set of worn out RE71R's, I'm at 32 psi front and rear and the car is perfect.

I'm planning on adding a touch of toe out on the front to get a little better turn in.

I'm better at setup than driving, so I'll give you my normal method. I always maximize front grip. That means different things in different classes, but typically optimize front camber, castor and run a little toe out.

Then do some slaloms and play with rear camber until you aggressively attack them and the car be pretty neutral.

Then adjust rear toe to get the car to rotate to your liking.

I found zero toe in the rear of a GTI with big rear sway to be a little too much rotation and I had to run really low rear tire pressure. .06 toe in on my 245's feels about perfect.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
On my GS car with 245/40 17 and 45 offset....

I found zero toe in the rear of a GTI with big rear sway to be a little too much rotation and I had to run really low rear tire pressure. .06 toe in on my 245's feels about perfect.

I guessed 0.08 would be good, looks like I’m on the same thought process as you.

I have so much front grip it caused me to run a larger front bar, but, I think the stiff setting was too much.

I’ll probably soften it up today.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I've been following the nationals and was glad to see you in the mix after day one. Congrats and best of luck day two!

Fairly nice mix of cars in STH. D Street is getting killed with CTRs, and G Street with Civic SIs.

Today will be a hot one down in Lincoln so it will be interesting to see how the Yokahamas do.

I've been following the nationals and was glad to see you in the mix after day one. Congrats and best of luck day two!

Fairly nice mix of cars in STH. D Street is getting killed with CTRs, and G Street with Civic SIs.

Today will be a hot one down in Lincoln so it will be interesting to see how the Yokahamas do.
Seems like no one seriously campaigned a GTI this year in GS. I might have to do a little more development and my codriver and I go next year. Stock shocks won't work well on concrete. I've been trying to get a set of custom valved Meister Club Specs built, but it's been slow going.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I guessed 0.08 would be good, looks like I’m on the same thought process as you.

I have so much front grip it caused me to run a larger front bar, but, I think the stiff setting was too much.

I’ll probably soften it up today.

I made the mistake of softening the front bar before run 1, then didn’t like the oversteer.

Put the front bar back to stiff, and nearly stripped a lower sway bar nut. Run two felt better, but in classic fashion, was slower.

In the spot next to mine, Sam in the Mitsu was having issues starting his car, and called it quits.

I offered for him to co-drive, so he became #155 in my car.

We tried spraying tires and not spraying, and could not beat my first run.

I dropped back 2 spots, to 9th.

Considering I had very little experience in the car, and even less with the current (under-prepped) setup, I did pretty good.

I made the mistake of softening the front bar before run 1, then didn’t like the oversteer.

Put the front bar back to stiff, and nearly stripped a lower sway bar nut. Run two felt better, but in classic fashion, was slower.

In the spot next to mine, Sam in the Mitsu was having issues starting his car, and called it quits.

I offered for him to co-drive, so he became #155 in my car.

We tried spraying tires and not spraying, and could not beat my first run.

I dropped back 2 spots, to 9th.

Considering I had very little experience in the car, and even less with the current (under-prepped) setup, I did pretty good.

Awesome effort,, especially with an unsorted car.

I had 3 friends in DS, 2 trophied, but delaminated a new set of Advans. Note to self, Advans don't like heavy cars with limited camber. Did you notice any issues with the WRX's in STH on Advans having problems? It's likely just a camber issue with Street classes.

Also, what camber are you running in the rear again? What were your pressures?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Awesome effort,, especially with an unsorted car.

I had 3 friends in DS, 2 trophied, but delaminated a new set of Advans. Note to self, Advans don't like heavy cars with limited camber. Did you notice any issues with the WRX's in STH on Advans having problems? It's likely just a camber issue with Street classes.

Also, what camber are you running in the rear again? What were your pressures?

Rear camber is -2.0, and about 28-29 psi.