GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mazda 3 to GTI with concern

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
I really like the large sunroof on SE and larger touchscreen but hate black leather in Texas and dig the cloth personally. How many of you like the sunroof without issues?

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting, just read that entire thread. Nothing there to freak me out too much about sunroof, sounds like recall was done and assuming new models are better, maybe. Just wish they had cooled leather seats here in Texas and I’d definitely go SE. Feels like with S you are losing a few nice things.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I had a 2012 Scion tC, bought brand new and the input shaft bearing on the trans started to howl at 5k miles. At 15k miles it got really bad, dealer replaced the bearing. Was fine for a few thousand miles and started howling/grinding noise. Back to the dealer, regional engineer test drove the car, 4th gear completely let go during the drive, new trans was put in. 20k miles, input shaft bearing started to howl, so I traded the car.

Point of that is, sure it was a Toyota and they are deemed damn reliable, but every manufacturer is going to have issues especially in today's market.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Reliability kept me away from VW for a long time. I always stuck with Japanese tuner cars (see sig). That being said, I now own a '17 SE and absolutely love it. It's the best overall car I've ever owned and I've had zero issues. I did a TON of research before buying. Seriously.. like a year of reading/watching reviews. I bought it new in cash and waited until ~10k miles before installing springs and tuning it. I have no regrets (no sunroof issues either).

Now, Mazda vs VW as far as reliability? VW's build quality is classes above Mazda IMO and VW certainly did lots of things right with the MK7. They get excellent reviews across the board. Mazdas are nice, but you don't get the features and quality that VW offers. Performance wise... did you hear about the Mazdaspeed3 setting the record at the Nurburgring? Me either. :p

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My 2015 GTI (owned since 2015) has 32,000 miles and is mechanically stock - no tunes.
A couple of months ago a coil pack failed on me which did leave me stranded.
It has been the one and only problem I had with the car.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Get a used 2016 VW GTI so you avoid the large chunk of depreciation that occurs. I never had any issues with no sun roof, but I do have issues with the black trim around it peeling :(

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've had mine since 10/17, it's had one faulty sensor and one noisy damper, both replaced under warranty with minimal inconvenience. I've previously owned Japanese cars (with one exception) and most of them were Honda, so I too was a bit nervous about reliability. But since you're buying new, you'll get the world's longest warranty, so why worry?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks for all the responses, I greatly appreciate it. Oh I know which car I enjoy driving more, not even close. I like the sunroof in GTI but fear what I’ve read and I do park on a incline driveway every night. Regarding the stalling, it’s not just the manual, it’s happening on DSG as well if you read the thread here on forum. Very concerning that it’s brand new car and Volkswagen can’t figure it out.

I’m in no real hurry. I can be patient and save. Christmas time might be good with end of the year or even open to certified pre-owned if I can find low mileage ‘18. I also personally like the cloth interior, black leather in Texas SUCKS! Shame the SE now doesn’t give you the option. Really like the Rabbit package due to wheels mainly.

Get a used 2018SE with cloth.

GTIjush

Passed Driver's Ed
27k miles on my stock '17 6MT and I haven't had any mechanical issues. Infotainment has wigged out, but could be the phone (carplay) and happened way more often in my Mazda. Sunroof squeak fixed with felt and car is rock solid. Now if I had that 6 yr/72k warranty, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. Good luck with your decision.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Get a used 2018SE with cloth.

Yeah, I would definitely go this route if I were the OP.
Get the cloth seats you want, and take advantage that the original owner took the hit on depreciation - and you'll still have a warranty.

sshlyk

Ready to race!
My first year with my new 2017 sport was nothing but dealer visits. That said, I would not buy it new. However, it is hard to find a good used one as well, since folks love to heavily mod it.