GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Oil Test

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
502 is a performance spec, there is no base oil requirement. Not sure where you're getting this, besides some internet lore. There are plenty of German "synthetic" oils that meet 502.

You're right, "synthetic" is a marketing term, but in Europe--or anywhere else, there is no motor oil that is "100% synthetic", they just require a higher % of PAO and esters. There's still mineral oil in the additive pack and pour point depressants. PAO base stock come from hydrocarbons as well, so I don't get why people are so hung up on the distinction?

Lastly, there's zero evidence that PAO's outperform group III or III+ oils. All base oils have their advantages and disadvantages. What matters is if the oil is able to pass performance tests. 504/507 and MB 229.5/5.1 are some of the toughest specs out there. If an oil passes those tests, there's zero reason to obsess over the base oil composition.

It pissed off Mobil so much, that they sued Castrol and Castrol won.

So, in Europe, many companies label their oils as: Group IV is labeled "Synthetic" and Group III is labeled "Synthetic Technology"

Esters are Group V stocks, and there is no such thing as 100% ester oil.

JWTS

Ready to race!
VW specifies the make up of the oil, after it passes the ACEA threshold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mc8syoJzM

The Liqui Moly rep mentions the VW502 recipe makeup at some point in this video.

If you want to split hairs about PAO/Group III/etc., you can just use something like Shell GTL oil like Platinum Euro.

Well, that explains where the misinformation comes from, because I've heard this before.. Again, there's no requirement for mineral oil. There are minimum standards that VW lists as guidelines for base oils to meet the test standards, and there are no base oil requirements. That may be what Motul chooses, but keep in mind there "fake synthetics" made w/GIII oils that meet 502, and there are German PAO-based oils that also meet 502. These oils can't contain high levels of GIII

If you really want to bore yourself to tears, you can see the test protocol for 502/505, 504/507, and everything else here: https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf

Back to the subject at hand though, I don't get the Amazon basics Euro oil. If it were $14.00 and your car was out of warranty, then sure, why not. There are approved, name-brand oils that are available for roughly the same price though--if you're a cheap, than can be had for less if you wait for sales/rebates. I just don't see the benefit of the Amazon oil.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Anyone have popcorn?

DesertRat47

Passed Driver's Ed
I was just over at amazons site and in the question section for this oil, it has been stated that this oil is from Warren distribution and not Warren oils. Are they the same co. Is there any truth to this?

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Sorry but he's right.

Group III oils are sold as fully synthetic in the US (Like M1, Castrol, Etc). Those same oils would legally have to be sold as synthetic blend oils in Europe.

Redline, Amsoil, and many Euro versions of big brands are actually synthetic. The rest isn't.

I was just over at amazons site and in the question section for this oil, it has been stated that this oil is from Warren distribution and not Warren oils. Are they the same co. Is there any truth to this?

The key point in that response is that as long as it meets spec it will be adequate.

This really isn't meant to be an enthusiast or other specialty oil. It's meant for the person with the normal daily driver wanting a decent value.

Maybe I'll buy the 0-20 and throw it in my GFs car, do an 8k mile oil analysis.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Sorry but he's right.
Please cite affirmation proof of what he said about VW 502. specs requiring 30% Dino oil.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Please cite affirmation proof of what he said about VW 502. specs requiring 30% Dino oil.

Miscommunication, I thought you were calling BS on the "synthetic" part of his post.

Highly doubt 502 requires Dino oil.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
No worries. On the % allegedly non-syn its all speculation until facts can be cited. One poster here constantly states ‘Castrol is 50% non-syn’. Proof sir, proof. Good luck finding it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
so,
1. What company has the BEST 502 oil?

2. What company has the BEST 504 oil?
Your going to get a lot of subjective answers/opinions

I've loved Motul 8300 or Liquid moly

knollMk7

Ready to race!
I know I'll have subjective responses, but there seem to be a couple of members who appear to know various oils intimately, to use a phrase. At least they seem to weigh in firmly every time an oil question comes up.

I'm asking, based on specs, what oil is best 502 and best 504? Most companies, except for the European ones publish their specifications. If we can't answer that question, then every judgment simply rests on hindsight (i.e. oil analysis or looking at the internals of a 200k or 300K mi+ car, right?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I know I'll have subjective responses, but there seem to be a couple of members who appear to know various oils intimately, to use a phrase. At least they seem to weigh in firmly every time an oil question comes up.

I'm asking, based on specs, what oil is best 502 and best 504? Most companies, except for the European ones publish their specifications. If we can't answer that question, then every judgment simply rests on hindsight (i.e. oil analysis or looking at the internals of a 200k or 300K mi+ car, right?

Which "specs"? Which is most important to you? There are lots of them to choose from.

And given that, best for what? Again, lots to choose from.

How bout you start a new thread titled "Best oil based on XXX spec" and see what happens. Should be fun to watch :D.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

There is no “best” anything.