GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru WRX STI S209

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Lol, no.

The engine will be garbage just like every other STI. The current ones are junk. My buddy's bone stock '18 spat a rod out the side of the block with 8k miles on it, and it's never been tracked or abused.

Also, I don't plan on ever owning a stick shift again, unless it's an older car.

Subaru's have one major selling point, and that's resale value.

Scala

Ready to race!
Actually the engine on this one has all forged internals but even so you would still run circles around it with a bone stock 2020 Golf R.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Lol, no.

The engine will be garbage just like every other STI. The current ones are junk. My buddy's bone stock '18 spat a rod out the side of the block with 8k miles on it, and it's never been tracked or abused.

Also, I don't plan on ever owning a stick shift again, unless it's an older car.

Subaru's have one major selling point, and that's resale value.

No, my 11 cracked a ringland before 15,000 miles. They really are junk and nothing really has changed since 04. It’s amazing that people even consider these anymore. They were impressive in the mid 2000s, but the competition not only caught up but surpassed them by leaps and bounds and sadly Subaru has shown no signs of updating their halo car to keep up. From the manufacturers view point, I get it, plenty of people still buy them, from the enthusiast customer POV, there’s better options out there at the same or cheaper price ranges.

Hoons dead on, on resale value though, I sold mine for $3,300 less than I paid for it brand new, 3 years later. Wranglers and sti’s are almost depreciation proof, it’s weird to me, especially on the Sti, why not just buy a new one for what you have to pay on the secondary market, especially when you know how they’re generally treated, not that it matters, the motor will eat itself stock eventually just even sooner if modded.

I do have to say, with a set of winter wheels/tires, it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever driven in lots of snow and I’ve had all sorts of awd cars and 4x4 trucks not 1 could hold a candle to the winter prepped sti in the crap weather, assuming the engine stayed together lol

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
My buddy has a 17 STI and its on its 3rd motor already...its about every 10k it blows up...bone stock as well...these new subaru are absolutely horrible...they are all over for sale where i live...they arent worth a dime

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Actually the engine on this one has all forged internals but even so you would still run circles around it with a bone stock 2020 Golf R.

Forged internals doesn't necessarily mean the engine is strong or will last.

The current one has forged rods, which fail stock. Maybe the pistons are finally decent, who knows.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
HKS internals as well as larger HKS turbo from what I read...
Bilstein's, BBS's, 6 piston Brembos, Recaro's...
It's a good list, but I still wouldn't buy one...

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
+1 on the resale value. I owned the first black 2004 STI in the US and a 2006 white STI. I kept the '06 for about ~6 years and sold it for a grand or so more than I originally paid. Granted, this is buying from a private party and selling to a private party. Buying new and reselling is a different story.

I've heard horror stories about the '08+ STI EJ engines, but not sure what changed. I know the 04 and 06 had a oil pickup tube that tended to crack and starve the engine of oil, but I replaced mine with a higher quality, aftermarket tube, so I never had an issue. Mine were both stage 2 protuned and driven HARD daily. Never had a single issue for the entire time I owned them (10-70k miles).

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Oh, and no, I wouldn't buy this S209 variant. Why? It's ~$50k+, only 340HP, and ugly.

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
You guys are right on..best thing is resale value. Traded my 15 wrx for 3500 less than I paid for it after putting on 50k miles in 2 years...less than a grand per 10k miles. After having two wrx’s and now the golf r...subie would have to do something really cool with the Sti to get me back.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
50 grand is a really nice used rs3 territory. You’d be insane to pick s209 over the rs3.

C&D is speculating $60-65K, which is a lot of coin for a glorified Impreza. You're damn close to M3 at that price

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-subaru-sti-s209-prototype-driven

Nonetheless, shaving 5+ seconds off the type RAs VIR Lightening Lap is impressive. Let's hope this sets the bar for the next gen STi at 340 horsepower. But please, lets ditch the 2.5EJ for something more modern and less likely to blow a ringland

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You guys are right on..best thing is resale value. Traded my 15 wrx for 3500 less than I paid for it after putting on 50k miles in 2 years...less than a grand per 10k miles. After having two wrx’s and now the golf r...subie would have to do something really cool with the Sti to get me back.

My GTI has depreciated $11K in 2 years (based on my very fair purchase price and current trade in value).

Going to have to drive this thing for a long time to lessen the sting, by 4 years it'll be essentially worthless.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
My GTI has depreciated $11K in 2 years (based on my very fair purchase price and current trade in value).

Going to have to drive this thing for a long time to lessen the sting, by 4 years it'll be essentially worthless.

Haha, I feel ya. I bought my GTI new outright and knew I'd take a hit when it came time to resell. I plan to keep the GTI for a long time and the '17/'18 WRX I was contemplating would have been ~$7k more right off the bat. The GTI SE has more features and overall a much better daily driver/weekend track toy IMO. No regrets here. :cool: