GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another IS20 -> IS38 question

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
Ideally, yes. Or if you are buying a turbo buy an IS38 WG and leave your IS20 WG on the old turbo. Your buyer of IS20 will thank you as well.

I believe all Littco turbos have WGs on them.

Is there a market for used IS20's? Who buys them for what car?

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
IS20 WG adjustment and adaptation really isn't that bad now that we know what to do. It was the lack of documentation and the need to futz with stuff that made it such a monster pain in the ass.

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
golf tsi guys to upgrade from IS12 or someone with a blown IS20. Yes, there is a market. $300-$350 is about all you'll get. Less without a WG on it.

or keep it as a backup or if you want to sell/trade your car and decide to partout. I still have mine.

Thanks for that info. Every part of me thinks if I sell this car it will go with everything on it. After putting that Unitronic IC, charge pipe kit, TMD and turbo elbow in....screw taking that stuff out again. The TT is a lot different than the instructions for putting it on a Golf....even with it being MQB, LOL. So glad that project is over.

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
IS20 WG adjustment and adaptation really isn't that bad now that we know what to do. It was the lack of documentation and the need to futz with stuff that made it such a monster pain in the ass.

So are there vids out there or links to that topic? Search what...IS38 WG adjustment?

ashiun

Ready to race!
yes, Rev-T
all swaps over
yes, VCDS or OBD11 necessary to set that IS20 wastegate actuator you are moving over. it sucks BTW.

What's wrong with the IS20 wg actuator? My revision 06k 145 722 S comes factory with IS20 wg actuator lol

edit: oh didn't read the comments

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
A littco is38 is cheaper than a brand new is38 from eBay? What? Really?

The real pro to is38 is price . Picking up used off a tuned car is the way to go. 10-20k miles on an Apr tuned golf R would've probably blown it already, usually gonna be solid and I got mine for like 680$ off this forum LOL latest revision still ripping every weekend.

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
I have reached out to Littco to see about pricing of the IS38x and what is all involved with it. If it isn’t that much more then I might as well take that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tytus1994

Ready to race!
I have reached out to Littco to see about pricing of the IS38x and what is all involved with it. If it isn’t that much more then I might as well take that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's comes out to like 1200 shipped. You still need intall kit like the gaskets and everything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

midtenn

Passed Driver's Ed
It's comes out to like 1200 shipped. You still need intall kit like the gaskets and everything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

For only like $500 more than what I would be paying for a used IS38, I can get theirs with all of its upgrade. This is starting to seem like a no brainer. I don't want to look at anything above the OTS Unitronic stage 2+ tune right now, and reading how the IS38 "might" be a ticket time bomb, depending on the revision and all......I might just go this route.

Is there anything I am missing about this?

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
For only like $500 more than what I would be paying for a used IS38, I can get theirs with all of its upgrade. This is starting to seem like a no brainer. I don't want to look at anything above the OTS Unitronic stage 2+ tune right now, and reading how the IS38 "might" be a ticket time bomb, depending on the revision and all......I might just go this route.

Is there anything I am missing about this?

From my research, not really. it is an is38 with the weak points fixed. Better bearings and properly balanced. He clips the turbine too which can help it breath a little better up top. This for the same price, or less, than an OEM unit.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
From my research, not really. it is an is38 with the weak points fixed. Better bearings and properly balanced. He clips the turbine too which can help it breath a little better up top. This for the same price, or less, than an OEM unit.

Yea, with Littcos IS38x turbo out now, there really is no point in rolling the dice w/the OEM IS38 now.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
i got my IS20 702T revision for 250 Canadian with 20k KMs on it , put 34k on it so far and its awesome running jb4 at 23-24 PSI peak.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Tenn! Show em your sled.